How much servers make?

I feel very sorry for you that this is your view on your fellow human beings. Karma can be a real b**ch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so judgmental and

would wish "karma" on someone like me who leaves the tips on but is honest enough to admit I don't care to hear the workers sob stories nor do I want to be their BFF

I feel sorry that you and your buddy Maximus would wish bad things on a person you don't know simply because of a message board post you don't agree with

I hope your kids learn better coping skills that what you are providing by (poor) example

However I don't wish anything bad on you or on the workers

I simply don't take much interest in their lives or want to hear their sob stories

I have more interest in Americans frankly. Charity begins at HOME

Try to back peddle all you want. Your original post speaks for itself.

I have no need to back peddle...I freely admit I have zero interest in the workers on the ship

I don't want to do the behind the fun scenes tour...I am not curious as to whether or not they are married or have family back home or engaged or

sleeping around the ship or whatever...just zero interest

I don't back peddle

I don't wish them ill ...I leave the tips on...I don't want to hear their sob stories however. I don't make them towel animals...I don't buy them gifts

LOL...I think that is stupid..they want money anyhow

Now you...on the other hand..what sort of a person wishes ill on a person they don't know simply cause they disagree on a message board?

That is really disturbing.

so judgmental and

would wish "karma" on someone like me who leaves the tips on but is honest enough to admit I don't care to hear the workers sob stories nor do I want to be their BFF

I feel sorry that you and your buddy Maximus would wish bad things on a person you don't know simply because of a message board post you don't agree with

I hope your kids learn better coping skills that what you are providing by (poor) example

However I don't wish anything bad on you or on the workers

I simply don't take much interest in their lives or want to hear their sob stories

I have more interest in Americans frankly. Charity begins at HOME

You are the poster child of an Ugly American who could care less about anyone or anything, who only cares that your vacation is perfect.

Actually if I remember correctly the article was recently published.

It also showed some employee's as making as little at $4.75 per hour.

The reason I asked was to see the article again so I could make a better judgement on how much I should tip.

Alot of people seem to think negatively that it was a ruse to not to have to tip. That is not the case.

It also would not have hurt for the puplic, I think, to actually see how little they make.

As far as privacy, most jobs can be looked up on the web nowadays to get a ballpark. I know this article exists and merely thought it easier to try and locate it faster through CC.

I guess I am one of the few to have seen it.

Thanks for your responses and opinions.

You are the poster child of an Ugly American who could care less about anyone or anything, just as long as your vacation is perfect.

Right....I really could care less about their personal lives or problems...I am not Dear Abby and I don't go on a cruise to make new friends from other countries who work on ships

YOu on the other hand have a real problem...wishing bad things on people

that is really horrible

I do feel very sad for the lady who had to cancel her cruise and may need to use insurance money for her emergency room bills...that sucks...Health care in this country stinks...worry about that rather than what they do or don't do in Manilla

I guess you don't care about her but you care about some guy who is probably the richest in his village back home in India or whatever Yawn yawn

I am honest enough to say it..really on most cruises I have been on my friends and other cruisers I meet also don't want to buddy up with the workers

that whole mentality of "I am friends with my room steward on facebook" seems to ONLY show up on these boards

Most people appreciate good service, share laughs and tip as suggested

but some people on here give John Deere keyrings, cds of themselves, who knows maybe be "godparents' to crew kids LOL

some people on here worry and overthing the crew and their earnings/conditions etc way too much

if you really feel so bad for them, stay home, don't cruise , just sent the money you save to your favorite worker ...sounds right to me

I just find it telling that the customers (us) have to pay their salaries rather than CCL who by most vague reports, does not pay them close to what they expect us to tip them. I can't say I've ever had bad service and haven't "removed" tips yet I still like the old school of tipping those who have directly given me service and handing them the envelope. As far as CCL now using the guilt ploy of "if you don't tip the behind the scenes people, they will suffer, hell we might even kick them off the ship"..........which is all because CCL doesn't want to pay them. Really a pretty nice game on their part and the CCL cheerleaders somehow have drank the kool-aid as their

DOD. CCL sets the policies, they set the wages, and they set the tipping procedure. Without real facts and so many experts on this topic, it stays a hot button issue. Why? I haven't a clue.

When we are on a cruise, I don't make any effort to get to know

any of the workers. I don't know why I should.

My wife has talked with a couple of the crew who are from the country she

came from, but usually only briefly.

I don't go on vacations to get to know anyone, I go to get away and have fun.

So, in a lot of things, I agree with what sharecruises said.

I am having a discussion with hubby on how much the servers and everyone make.

I remember seeing a post on this - can anyone tell me where to find it?

Thanks,

I have learned through the years not all cultures tip

Most that I have encountered from Canada do not tip at all

just my thoughts

I just find it telling that the customers (us) have to pay their salaries rather than CCL who by most vague reports, does not pay them close to what they expect us to tip them. I can't say I've ever had bad service and haven't "removed" tips yet I still like the old school of tipping those who have directly given me service and handing them the envelope. As far as CCL now using the guilt ploy of "if you don't tip the behind the scenes people, they will suffer, hell we might even kick them off the ship"..........which is all because CCL doesn't want to pay them. Really a pretty nice game on their part and the CCL cheerleaders somehow have drank the kool-aid as their

DOD. CCL sets the policies, they set the wages, and they set the tipping procedure. Without real facts and so many experts on this topic, it stays a hot button issue. Why? I haven't a clue.

John, i just couldnt read this. I was fixated on you in the coconut bra. Care to explain?

John, i just couldnt read this. I was fixated on you in the coconut bra. Care to explain?

Explain my irrational thoughts or the bra? Let's just say that it was fun wearing it with my grass skirt and crashing John Heald's afternoon program while on the Dream. It now is worn proudly by a member of the monkeyheads (the guy who missed the meeting) on cruises. The tough part is recruiting new members to the cult who don't know..............so what are YOU doing Feb. 24th on the Magic?:p

I can assure you that tipping in Canada is very much alive and part of our society, so much so that the standard tip starts at 15%.

One of the articles i had read was actually to do with Carnival UK:

http://www.cagle.com/2012/05/carnival-cruises-pay-below-international-standards/

but there were more.

Almost their entire money is made up from tips .. so it varys.

I have had one tell me he only makes $45 a month in actual wages.

I personally dont believe this (not your word:)) and am yet to find out "First Hand" from anyone who has worked the cruise industry as a waiter/server.

If almost their entire wage was made up of tips then you would not be able to remove auto tips so easily,removal would have to be on a day to day/service to service removal because You have no need to tip extra over Auto tips and Auto tips are fully removable.

On the occasion that you bump into one ashore take a look at the quality of clothing they wear, jewellery they wear and the brand new iphone they are using!;)

$45 per month actual wage on a worst case scenario (no tips) would be around 12.5cents an hour base and would be against any labour law of any county that a cruise line is registered to, bar perhaps deep rural China.

I tip gladly on a cruise but would hazard a guess they are doing very well compared to those working in a service industry in their own country and dollar for dollar value spend in their own country would put them in a higher wage bracket than many people who cruise.

Den

I am a teacher and my name and my income is available for anyone to see on my school district web site; as is the income of all school district employees as required by law.

this is a teachers answer?

what part of your salary plays a role in someonechoosing to attend your school,

I can assure you that tipping in Canada is very much alive and part of our society, so much so that the standard tip starts at 15%.

http://www.cagle.com/2012/05/carnival-cruises-pay-below-international-standards/

but there were more.

An Indonesian in Bali working very long hours in the service industry will earn around $100 per month and pay income tax on that amount.

An Indonesian working on P&O UK or Australia earning a base of $400 per month is earning 4x the average. they do however have to pay the Indonesian Govnt Fiscal tax when working overseas up front when they leave the country but its not a huge amount.

They earn 1/4 the basic wage of an Australian or Brit but do not have the outgoing costs of living in Australia or UK which is more than 4 times the cost of living in Indonesia!

Den

actually, it's not ccl saying this. it's posters here saying it.

and they have drank the koolaid.

some still only see the $1.50 increase as "only $1.50".

but yet the steward and mdr lovers don't see that most of the increase went to others, and not the people they love so much.

cash tipping ensures your money goes exactly where YOU want it to go.

Are Americans really so uptight about tipping or just those on this forum, all I see are posts like this repeated everyday

It is basically the daily tipping thread just slightly changed. Rather boring really which is why I stopped reading most of these.

From the cruise ships jobs web site.

Tipping personnel

Tipping personnel are the staff with direct contact with the guests who pay them "tips". There are specified amounts of tips per particular positions which are advised to guests prior to embarkation and which vary from one cruise line to another. Such personnel are waiters, busboys /assistant waiters, bar waiters/waitresses, bartenders, cocktail waitresses, etc. Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips. Approximate sample earnings in this group are (in U.S. Dollars per month):

Waiter from $2500 to $4000

Busboy / Assistant Waiter from $1500 to $3000

Bar Waiter / Waitress from $1000 to $2500

Bartender from $1500 to $3000

Applicants must have a good command of English, good work experience and appropriate education to qualify for this group (the latter is not obligatory if the applicant has enough experience).

I personally dont believe this (not your word:)) and am yet to find out "First Hand" from anyone who has worked the cruise industry as a waiter/server.

If almost their entire wage was made up of tips then you would not be able to remove auto tips so easily,removal would have to be on a day to day/service to service removal because You have no need to tip extra over Auto tips and Auto tips are fully removable.

On the occasion that you bump into one ashore take a look at the quality of clothing they wear, jewellery they wear and the brand new iphone they are using!;)

$45 per month actual wage on a worst case scenario (no tips) would be around 12.5cents an hour base and would be against any labour law of any county that a cruise line is registered to, bar perhaps deep rural China.

I tip gladly on a cruise but would hazard a guess they are doing very well compared to those working in a service industry in their own country and dollar for dollar value spend in their own country would put them in a higher wage bracket than many people who cruise.

Den

Did you know that here in USA servers may only make 2.13

"An employer may pay a tipped employee not less than $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equal at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's"

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/q-a.htm

The cruise line guarantees their servers to make X amount a week. If their tips do not cover that amount, then the line will make up the difference. My wife is not here at the moment, but tonight I will pick her brain some more. She has worked in the travel industry for many years. A head hunter for the cruise lines is a major part of her business.

I live near and keep my boat in tarpon springs fl which is a large greek community. Over the years I became friendly with a local boater, fisherman who just recently retired from carnival as maitre d, some may know him as “The greek “ from inspiration. Great guy lives between tarpon and Greece.

Anyway he tells me good head waiters can make about 45-50 k yr , perhaps more if the pick up extra shifts at various venues on the ships. He also stated that most workers , work hard and play harder.

No way of knowing if its accurate but I don’t see him distorting the truth..

It is basically the daily tipping thread just slightly changed. Rather boring really which is why I stopped reading most of these.

Oh c'mon, these are new innovative ideas here. Those who feel that everyone should tip extra like they do, and those that could care less about tipping.

If you were to just read these boards, the average cruise ship worker earns slightly over 100k a year, because 80% of the posters tip the auto-gratuity, and then tip on top of that. LOL.

Oh c'mon, these are new innovative ideas here. Those who feel that everyone should tip extra like they do, and those that could care less about tipping.

If you were to just read these boards, the average cruise ship worker earns slightly over 100k a year, because 80% of the posters tip the auto-gratuity, and then tip on top of that. LOL.

My experience reading CC was everyone saying how poor the staff are treated and paid and how its so sad that its basically slavery. Yet most of those who said that also had 30+ cruises listed with half a dozen more in the works.

but there were more.

That's correct, minimum 15%. Actually there are more than a few resto's here that add the 15% automaticaly.

U pretty much have to Tip everywhere, over here.

Archived