how to carry snorkel gear?

We are thinking of buying some snorkel gear to give it a try during our 6 day caribbean carnival freedom cruise.

We fly from canada to fort lauderdale on a charter and are permitted one bag at 44lbs and one carry on.

How do you get your snorkel gear on the plane?

Thanks

We have flown twice now from Canada with it in our checked bags. It takes up space, but for us it is valuable space!!! I dont want to have to rent it in the various ports, and have to worry about how clean they are. The gear should come in a mesh bag. We just pack our clothes etc around it.

If you get a set that includes the compact travel fins, the gear fits easily into your checked bag, not taking up very much space or weight. I have also carried mine onboard the aircraft inside a regular back pack along with my other carry-on items.

If you get a set that includes the compact travel fins, the gear fits easily into your checked bag, not taking up very much space or weight. I have also carried mine onboard the aircraft inside a regular back pack along with my other carry-on items.

I agree, get the compact travel fins, we have them and they are great and easy to pack.

We always take our own mask/snorkel and just use the fins provided at the beach/excursion. If it's a little $ at a beach, it's not worth packing, to us!

Most excursions will provide fins (and mask/snorkel) but DH has a prescription mask and we both prefer using our own snorkels. If you're looking for a snorkel, get one that is labeled 'dry' or 'semi dry' . (It has a little topper on the tube so water can't splash back into it.) Well worth the money.

Have fun!

Be careful packing the mask. My DH's was badly cracked when we packed it in our bags. We now carry it in our backpacks. Because it is prescription it cost $$. The airline said it was from weight of other bags on top. We had it in the middle surrounded by clothing. They gave us a few $, but that didn't help since he needed it on the trip. Another travel lesson learned.

Mrsosci.

There are four of us. By the time we take four sets of gear, plus backup and repair kits we just pay for an extra checked bag, and all the sun screen and other liquids to the bag too, that way if there is a leak nothing is damaged.

Is it a better idea to buy just the mask and snorkel and rent the fins there?

Thanks

That's what we did. The excursions (Carnival or private) typically had fins available to use at no charge. At Chankanaab beach in Cozumel we rented fins for $3 or $4, I can't remember.

We are thinking of buying some snorkel gear to give it a try during our 6 day caribbean carnival freedom cruise.

We fly from canada to fort lauderdale on a charter and are permitted one bag at 44lbs and one carry on.

How do you get your snorkel gear on the plane?

Thanks

we always bring a cooler with us to use on shore excursions etc..... when we pack.... we pack the cooler with the snorkle gear and use it as a carry on. :eek:

I always pack my own. I have the shortie fins, and keep the mask in its original plastic box. I pack it all in a sturdy beach bag, and tag it with my cabin number. I've let it go with the luggage, and carried it on. It always arrived safely. I've used it as my "carry-on" on airplanes and its worked that way. I picked up my beach bag that says Nassau at the local thrift store..lol Its bright green so I can see it if it starts to walk away. :eek: The snorkel/fin/mask cost almost 200, but worth every penny, and I'm ready at a moments notice for the ocean.

We take our masks and snorkels .... leave the fins home. Mine is a prescription mask and I can't see a thing out of the regular ones. Won't leave home without them!

We also leave the fins at home since we are near shore I don't really need them...we carry ours in one of the carry on so they don't break.

Slightly off Subject,

If you have a New snorkel/diving mask get "Sea Buff" and "Sea Gold"

Sea Buff removes any residue on the glass/plastic from manufacturing.

Sea Gold keeps the mask from fogging up.

Comes in a 2 ounce bottle, about $6.

The stuff works great.

Don't use Rain X Antifogg.

It doesn't work that good on snorkeling/diving masks.

Archived