PG - Bottled Water

Oarsman55

According to Cunard's website, bottled water is available gratis in PG; it's not mentioned under the PG amenities in the brochure.

I'm not too mean to buy it, or too posh/deluded to drink the tap stuff, but She Who Must Be Obeyed, or rather her manservant which sadly has a bad habit of being me, usually drags on several bottles and I hope to be spared this time. Is it actually available FOC and, if so, is it a limitless supply (within reason).

Cheers.

Peter

Bottled Water! Bottled Water. Surely the singlemost blatently obvious con trick in the entire history of western man’s stupidity. The totally uneccessary consumption of resources and energy involved in the extracting, bottling, packing, transporting, advertising, wholesaling, wharehousing, retailing and disposing of the packaging and containers is absoloutely mind boggling. I swear to God that if some enterprising individual were to begin selling bottled air he would have a ready market among the utterly gullible purchasers of bottled water. The simplest actions now assume the proportions of a trek across the Gobi desert. Going for the paper, don’t forget your litre of water. Leaving your cabin to hike across the trackless wastes of decks 5 and 6 to get to the Kings court? For heaven’s sake don’t get dehydrated on the way, take your bottle - take two best to be on the safe side. Got a deal more money than you know what to do with - buy something expensive which you could get for free (Excepting water rates of course). Better still buy a litre, take a couple of sips and chuck the rest away like most people seem to do then you’ll be able to buy some more. Giving a 40 minute lecture, where’s your bottle? For pity’s sake man take care it’s at least 20 yards to the nearest tap. The spectre of dehydration hangs heavily over playground and workplace alike. Good thing we didn't have dehydration in times of yore there would have been a non-stop procession of oxcarts trundling up to the sites of the great cathedrals and country houses. Here's a good exam question - How many bottles of Evian did it take to build the Forth bridge? Here's another question, did anybody over the age of 40 ever see a water fountain in the office? An American innovation of course, what workers used to waste time before the advent of computers and email. If you felt the need for a drink in between cups of tea you went to the washroom and got one from the tap. Give or take a few generations and the lips of western man will have evolved into thin elongated tubes the better to form an efficient seal around the neck of the ever present bottle. If ever a sculptor was charged with the task of creating something to represent the triumph of advertising over sanity he need look no further for inspiration than the local supermarket where the groaning shelves of bottled water in all its many incarnations bear witness to this very fact. And not only man, I know a woman, this is the gospel truth dear readers, I know a woman who gives nothing but bottled water to her bloody dogs. The prosecution rests m'lud.

Shiny

Bottled Water! Bottled Water. Surely the singlemost blatently obvious con trick in the entire history of western man’s stupidity. The totally uneccessary consumption of resources and energy involved in the extracting, bottling, packing, transporting, advertising, wholesaling, wharehousing, retailing and disposing of the packaging and containers is absoloutely mind boggling. I swear to God that if some enterprising individual were to begin selling bottled air he would have a ready market among the utterly gullible purchasers of bottled water. The simplest actions now assume the proportions of a trek across the Gobi desert. Going for the paper, don’t forget your litre of water. Leaving your cabin to hike across the trackless wastes of decks 5 and 6 to get to the Kings court? For heaven’s sake don’t get dehydrated on the way, take your bottle - take two best to be on the safe side. Got a deal more money than you know what to do with - buy something expensive which you could get for free (Excepting water rates of course). Better still buy a litre, take a couple of sips and chuck the rest away like most people seem to do then you’ll be able to buy some more. Giving a 40 minute lecture, where’s your bottle? For pity’s sake man take care it’s at least 20 yards to the nearest tap. The spectre of dehydration hangs heavily over playground and workplace alike. Good thing we didn't have dehydration in times of yore there would have been a non-stop procession of oxcarts trundling up to the sites of the great cathedrals and country houses. Here's a good exam question - How many bottles of Evian did it take to build the Forth bridge? Here's another question, did anybody over the age of 40 ever see a water fountain in the office? An American innovation of course, what workers used to waste time before the advent of computers and email. If you felt the need for a drink in between cups of tea you went to the washroom and got one from the tap. Give or take a few generations and the lips of western man will have evolved into thin elongated tubes the better to form an efficient seal around the neck of the ever present bottle. If ever a sculptor was charged with the task of creating something to represent the triumph of advertising over sanity he need look no further for inspiration than the local supermarket where the groaning shelves of bottled water in all its many incarnations bear witness to this very fact. And not only man, I know a woman, this is the gospel truth dear readers, I know a woman who gives nothing but bottled water to her bloody dogs. The prosecution rests m'lud.

Shiny

Well said that man!

p.s. Can I have three bottles of air please?

Shiny

So Shiny, do you take it on as well??

BTW there is no need to pack it in a suitcase, just stick a luggage label on it and it will be delivered to your cabin. I admit that I am at a total loss to understand why anyone would take water onto a ship; gin, vodka, wine and champagne are my weapons of choice!

LOL, Shiny, and under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. However, SWMBO points out that the stuff from the "cold" tap on board ships is warm and utterly vile unless refrigerated and sometimes, in common with many of her gender, she simply cannot wait;). I am informed that the bottled stuff is not actually vomit-inducing at room temperature and who am I to argue?

BTW, does anyone happen to know the answer to the original question?

Peter

LOL, Shiny, and under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. However, SWMBO points out that the stuff from the "cold" tap on board ships is warm and utterly vile unless refrigerated and sometimes, in common with many of her gender, she simply cannot wait;). I am informed that the bottled stuff is not actually vomit-inducing at room temperature and who am I to argue?

BTW, does anyone happen to know the answer to the original question?

Peter

I have never had to ask for a replacement and the water has always been unlimited. Oddly, they will charge in the PG restaurant. Never understood that.

Jeanne

Maybe someone can invent a tap that dispenses the carbonated stuff and then I won't need to waste money and deplete the earth's resources buying what I like to drink. Heaven forgive my friend, who after major radiotherapy no longer makes saliva and has to carry bottles of water with him wherever he goes.

I didn't bother reading beyond the first few lines of Shiny's rant - my eyes can't cope with long paragraphs.

In answer to the original question by Oarsman - it is definately free and replensihed in QG. I can't vouch for PG, but we are on the same cruise next week so if you get really dehydrated gimme' a ring and I'll bring you a bottle. I hope that if Shiny is with us he doesn't spot me in transit. :D

Heaven forgive my friend, who after major radiotherapy no longer makes saliva and has to carry bottles of water with him wherever he goes.

I didn't bother reading beyond the first few lines of Shiny's rant - my eyes can't cope with long paragraphs.

Sorry about the long paragraphs, I got carried away and forgot to breathe.:)

But why is it that the most extreme cases of exception are ALWAYS quoted in support of some argument or other. e.g. Whene'er the subject of mobile phones comes up the arguments against are ALWAYS countered by those who have moribund relatives or friends with whom they must stay in touch. We know the majority of mobilphonatics do not have any pressing emergency taking place at the other end. The overheard, (I say overheard, how can one not overhear), conversations make this very plain. Just as we know, do we not, that the vast majority of bottle carriers are not recovering from radiotherapy and thank God for that. The particular does not obviate the general in these cases.

Shiny

The totally uneccessary consumption of resources and energy involved in the extracting, bottling, packing, transporting, advertising, wholesaling, wharehousing, retailing and disposing of the packaging and containers is absoloutely mind boggling.

That's all true, but equally think about this:

We expend masses of resources and energy extracting water from reservoirs and rivers, then we clean millions of litres a day to drinking standard levels ( using a lot of chemicals in the process ), then we pump it to people's houses and what do they do with 99.9% of the super clean and safe drinking water ?

What we do is flush 99.9% of it down the toilet, or shower in it, or wash the car with it, or water the garden with it. You see, we go to all that effort to clean it so we can drink it and then drink almost none of it.

That's all true, but equally think about this:

We expend masses of resources and energy extracting water from reservoirs and rivers, then we clean millions of litres a day to drinking standard levels ( using a lot of chemicals in the process ), then we pump it to people's houses and what do they do with 99.9% of the super clean and safe drinking water ?

What we do is flush 99.9% of it down the toilet, or shower in it, or wash the car with it, or water the garden with it. You see, we go to all that effort to clean it so we can drink it and then drink almost none of it.

I totally agree and therefore it is even more ridiculous to ignore the expensively produced safe water that comes from your tap in favour of the bottled stuff. It is purely a commercially induced affectation that sees every Tom Dick and Harry clutching onto a plastic bottle everywhere they go. It's almost infantile. Some bottles come with a built-in feeder likening the process to a baby feeding even more.

Shiny

It is purely a commercially induced affectation that sees every Tom Dick and Harry clutching onto a plastic bottle everywhere they go. It's almost infantile.

There was a programme on a couple of years ago that explained how the bottled water industry managed to convince the world they needed to drink "8 glasses of water a day".

This is what they did :

Someone ( a university or something similar, not a company ) did some research to see how much fluid a person takes in each day. They included all fluid, no matter what the liquid, and included the fluid in food. They worked out it was about 2 litres. This was just a measure, not a recommendation. It then got picked up by various health organisations and turned it in to a recommendation. Then, over time, 2 litres of fluid got turned into 2 litres of water. Then the bottled water industry reckoned 2 litres did not sound like something they could sell, so they changed it to 8 glasses.

So, whilst 2 litres is about right, it can include all drinks, it has never been just water, it's just that the bottled water industry hijacked someone's research, twisted it round, and used it for their own ends.

there was a programme on a couple of years ago that explained how the bottled water industry managed to convince the world they needed to drink "8 glasses of water a day".

This is what they did :

Someone ( a university or something similar, not a company ) did some research to see how much fluid a person takes in each day. They included all fluid, no matter what the liquid, and included the fluid in food. They worked out it was about 2 litres. This was just a measure, not a recommendation. It then got picked up by various health organisations and turned it in to a recommendation. Then, over time, 2 litres of fluid got turned into 2 litres of water. Then the bottled water industry reckoned 2 litres did not sound like something they could sell, so they changed it to 8 glasses.

So, whilst 2 litres is about right, it can include all drinks, it has never been just water, it's just that the bottled water industry hijacked someone's research, twisted it round, and used it for their own ends.

q.e.d.

Ss

According to Cunard's website, bottled water is available gratis in PG; it's not mentioned under the PG amenities in the brochure.

I'm not too mean to buy it, or too posh/deluded to drink the tap stuff, but She Who Must Be Obeyed, or rather her manservant which sadly has a bad habit of being me, usually drags on several bottles and I hope to be spared this time. Is it actually available FOC and, if so, is it a limitless supply (within reason).

Cheers.

Peter

Yes, bottled water is complimentary in P/Q grills. "She who must be obeyed", I like that. With mine, we carry a bottle on board, unfortunately it has something of mine in it, not water,however!

Just to return to Bottled Water and Cunard (I know, boring boring boring), but there was some talk on here about large bottles being placed on the tables at dinner on the QM2, not sure about the other two boats. On this board at least the practice met with universal condemnation. It happened in June last year on a WB TA but a refusal on the first night resulted in the ugly big bottle not making a repeat appearance. On QE in November 2011 the bottles did not appear at all.

Are they still plonking them on the tables on QM2?

Shiny

Just to return to Bottled Water and Cunard (I know, boring boring boring), but there was some talk on here about large bottles being placed on the tables at dinner on the QM2, not sure about the other two boats. On this board at least the practice met with universal condemnation. It happened in June last year on a WB TA but a refusal on the first night resulted in the ugly big bottle not making a repeat appearance. On QE in November 2011 the bottles did not appear at all.

Shiny

They were on the QV in 2009. The big 1.5 litre bottles looked awful.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1082284

Shiny

Shiny, yes they are but they are seldom opened and disappear after the first night.

Again, thank you all, both for the factual stuff and the enjoyable entertainment in the finest tradition of this forum.

Mrs Oarsman is in the naughty corner, gloomily clutching a glass of finest London tap water, having been told that the oft-quoted fact it's been through several hundred other people before reaching her is a myth:D:D.

Peter

Coming from Glasgow, and being used to drinking the best tap water in the country, it always amused me when I saw people buying bottled stuff.

That was until we moved to London. Our coffee and tea always had a scummy film on top and the tea tasted awful.

We became converts and a 5 litre bottle was purchaed every week for our tea and coffee.

For day to day drinking, I just stuck to beer.

Sorry about the long paragraphs, I got carried away and forgot to breathe.:)

But why is it that the most extreme cases of exception are ALWAYS quoted in support of some argument or other. e.g. Whene'er the subject of mobile phones comes up the arguments against are ALWAYS countered by those who have moribund relatives or friends with whom they must stay in touch. We know the majority of mobilphonatics do not have any pressing emergency taking place at the other end. The overheard, (I say overheard, how can one not overhear), conversations make this very plain. Just as we know, do we not, that the vast majority of bottle carriers are not recovering from radiotherapy and thank God for that. The particular does not obviate the general in these cases.

Shiny

When my kids were teenagers I used to chastise them for saying, "Sorry....... but....". Which in their case, meant, "I'm not sorry, I'm coming back for another bite at the cherry". Sadly, although adulthood has lessened the problem they never quite got it out of their systems.

Being a grumpy old bloke there's lots I complain about and I get a lot of stick in response. But even I'd feel a bit embarrassed to be complaining about depleting the earth's resources and wasting money when I'm doing several cruises a year and just about to go and trample all over the Arctic Circle.

There's that word "but" again. Sorry for using it. Genuinely. :o

Archived