Shorts in MDR

I have a pair of dress shorts that I would like to wear to dinner one night and was wondering if that would be ok? They are black shorts that I wear with heels or heeled sandals and would wear a dress shirt with them. I'm not thinking about them for formal nights, just for the regular nights on the cruise. What do you guys think?

I have a pair of dress shorts that I would like to wear to dinner one night and was wondering if that would be ok? They are black shorts that I wear with heels or heeled sandals and would wear a dress shirt with them. I'm not thinking about them for formal nights, just for the regular nights on the cruise. What do you guys think?

I think that sounds really nice.....if you saw how some people dress on casual night, you would think...."what was I worried about" :confused:

Yes, on a casual night, it is ok. Here is the dress code from Carnival's website.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466#q-544446

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

Much to the chagrin of some cruisers, Carnival's dress code (as posted by alphakitty) is a bit more relaxed than some of the other cruise lines. On formal nights, gentleman are not required to wear a suit and tie, and ladies are not required to wear a fancy dress, it is only suggested. For casual dining, dress shorts or Capri's are perfectly acceptable. Quite honestly, even if you wear shorts on a Formal night, even though some of the passengers might stare at you, your waiter probably won't say anything about it. Or, if you just don't feel like dressing up for dinner, you can always eat dinner at the buffet on the Lido deck. We know several people that do this. As a courtesy, if you should decide to skip dinner in the MDR, let your waiter know ahead of time, so that he/she won't be expecting you.

I wore dress shorts almost every night if I didn't wear my suit

I have no problem how people dress at any time but I wouldn't wear shorts to the MDR on an elegant night. All my shorts are cargo and I'll wear them and a t shirt to dinner once or twice a cruise.

Dress Cargos (Golf America) and a "tuxedo T"...all you need for that groom outfit:D

Dress Cargos (Golf America) and a "tuxedo T"...all you need for that groom outfit:D

Don't quite understand this statement.

As for shorts on casual evenings, don't worry, just dress to where you are comfortable. After all, you're on vacation. I doubt many people get very dressed up when they go out to eat in the evenings if they are at the beach?

So it's perfectly acceptable to not wear a tie or a dress coat on elegant night? I was planning on wearing slacks and a polo shirt I'm just trying to minimize my suitcase and minimize my trip to the laundry to iron everything. But if it's frowned upon, I will bring the tie and jacket.

So it's perfectly acceptable to not wear a tie or a dress coat on elegant night? I was planning on wearing slacks and a polo shirt I'm just trying to minimize my suitcase and minimize my trip to the laundry to iron everything. But if it's frowned upon, I will bring the tie and jacket.

depends how he feels among people dressed different than him.

most are still in jackets and suits on elegant night.

No jacket or tie required. I usually wear slacks and a button up shirt on elegant night.

a14.jpg

This is how we dressed for Elegant Night. Some on these threads will sniff that DH did not wear a jacket, but I was doing good to get him in a tie. This is vacation not a fashion show, as far as we are concerned. We live in jeans normally. Next cruise DH said he would get in a tux, but......I have to get in a long formal gown. :eek:

The outfit the OP asked about will be fine.

Archived