Question regarding baggage fees

patterson3

US Airways charges $25 per checked bag, but you get 1 checked bag for free if you fly 1st class. Now, if I'm flying first class for just one segment (and coach on the other 2) on a Bos to Myrtle Beach trip (with stops in Washington DC and Charlotte), do I still get a free chacked bag, or do I need to fly 1st class the entire trip (or at least 2/3)?

Thank you.

US Airways charges $25 per checked bag, but you get 1 checked bag for free if you fly 1st class. Now, if I'm flying first class for just one segment (and coach on the other 2) on a Bos to Myrtle Beach trip (with stops in Washington DC and Charlotte), do I still get a free chacked bag, or do I need to fly 1st class the entire trip (or at least 2/3)?

Thank you.

Details seem to be missing. How was the passage purchased and why is just one segment in first class? By "stops" do you mean just a change of planes on a stright-through trip, or stops, as in stopping (breaking your trip) twice? If you were flying straight-through but just stopping twice to change planes how could you get the first class allowance for one segment? If it's not a straight-through trip on one ticket, it seems obvious you'd get the first class allowance for just one segment, but since it's obvious I think you may have a different situation.

Did you purchase the trip as first class but ended up in economy for two segments due to the size of the plane? We flew Envoy Class from overseas to Charlotte but the next flight was ina smaller plane, with no biz or fist class. We were under international biz class bagge rules for the whole trip.

If you purchased each segment separately, then you get the first class allowance for just that segment. If you purchased the whole trip as economy class but got upgraded to first for one segment, I doubt you'd get the first class allowance for all 3 segments. If in doubt, call US Airways with your reservation #.

Details seem to be missing. How was the passage purchased and why is just one segment in first class? Are you stopping (breaking your trip) twice? If you were flying straight-through but just stopping twice to change planes how could you get the first class allowance for one segment?

Did you purchase the trip as first class but ended up in economy for two segments due to the size of the plane? We flew Envoy Class from overseas to Charlotte but the next flight was ina smaller plane, with no biz or fist class. We were under international biz class bagge rules for the whole trip.

If you purchased each segment separately, then you get the first class allowance for just that segment. If you purchased the whole trip as economy class but got upgraded to first for one segment, I doubt you'd get the first class allowance for all 3 segments.

Thank you. The details are as follows: I booked the entire trip as a coach ticket- I have to change planes in both WASH and CHAR but today was offered an upgrade to 1st class for just one of the segments and in deciding if it was worth the additional charge I was wondering if I could save myself the luggage fee, but it seems as though that would not be the case.

Thank you. The details are as follows: I booked the entire trip as a coach ticket- I have to change planes in both WASH and CHAR but today was offered an upgrade to 1st class for just one of the segments and in deciding if it was worth the additional charge I was wondering if I could save myself the luggage fee, but it seems as though that would not be the case.

Last year I flew US Airways to Ft. Lauderdale. I was traveling on an coach award ticket. I was offered a upgrade to first class but it was only offered on my first segment. I checked one bag for free being in first class and did not have to pay a baggage fee for the second segment since I had checked in as a first class passenger on the first flight. Rules could have changed since then but that was my experience last year.

You can not count on getting the free luggage allowance for the entire trip unless the upgrade is on the first segment. Sometimes the ticket agent will turn a blind eye if one segment is in first, but it's never a guarantee.

FWIW, I have received the first class + Medallion allowance on DL when I have had a coach segment starting the flight. It's my experience with DL that any segment in F gets you the bonus. Now, that does NOT mean that one segment for one direction gets you the bonus for both directions.

Of course, YMMV - especially with other carriers, even partners and codeshares.

I'm CP with US, so I'm pretty well versed in their policies and what happens in reality. I stand by what I said in my previous post on this thread.
No disagreement....just adding in the DL experience for those reading the thread who may be flying someone other than US.

Personally, I like the DL method, especially if you start on an RJ without a first class cabin.

No disagreement....just adding in the DL experience for those reading the thread who may be flying someone other than US.

Personally, I like the DL method, especially if you start on an RJ without a first class cabin.

US has added F on their RJs. Not a bad perk at all. :D

Archived