New Castle United Kingdom

I was receiving mixed information about the port for New Castle UK. Searched the Ports of Call Forum and found nothing. So I wrote the Port of Tyne which is the port authority for New Castle concerning where the Ms Eurodam was docking and what transportation options were available. This is their reply:

Good morning William,

Thank you for your email. I have attached a copy of our map of the Port of Tyne International Passenger Terminal and you are correct this is where the DFDS Ferry arrives and departs. The berth for the ms Eurodam is called Northumbrian Quay. The Port of Tyne will run a free shuttle buses all day which run from the quay to Royal Quays (a shopping centre about 7-10 minutes walk from the quay), then the shuttle will run to Tynemouth Metro Station. This free shuttle bus will run all day in a loop.

The full postal address for the Port of Tyne International Terminal is

International Passenger Terminal

Coble Dene

North Shields

Tyne & Wear

NE29 6EA

From Tynemouth Metro Station you can go by metro to Newcastle City Centre (the Monument stop is in the centre of Newcastle). The link for this is www.nexus.org.uk/metro

and there are various other stops which may suit you better. Please make sure you have some change as tickets for the metro are issued by a ticket machine in the station.

On your arrival at the Port we have a marquee on Northumbrian Quay which will be staffed by local tour guides, they will assist you with any enquiries you may have and they also have information leaflets which may be of use to you.

Blueline Taxis also operate from the Quayside (0191 2626666) this company offer very competitive rates for travellers.

I do hope the above has answered your queries and I hope you have a very enjoyable visit to the North East of England.

Kind regards,

Susan

Hi Bill,

Cruise ships do call at Newcastle from time to time, but not frequently. A fairly typical off-the-beaten-track call for HAL ;)

There's info on CC but you'll find it on the Britain forum, rather than Northern Europe (& the mods. might move this thread there).

Here's one thread that I found

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=978700&highlight=newcastle

Find more by using the "search this forum" tool (above the announcements & questions on that forum) & typing in "Newcastle" (all one word).

The locals are called Geordies.

Their regional accent is almost impossible to understand.

Their religion is soccer.

Their tipple is Newcastle Brown Ale.

To them, every other englishman is a southern-softie.

And they eat Americans for breakfast :D

JB :)

(southern softie)

Hi Bill,

Cruise ships do call at Newcastle from time to time, but not frequently. A fairly typical off-the-beaten-track call for HAL ;)

There's info on CC but you'll find it on the Britain forum, rather than Northern Europe (& the mods. might move this thread there).

Here's one thread that I found

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=978700&highlight=newcastle

Find more by using the "search this forum" tool (above the announcements & questions on that forum) & typing in "Newcastle" (all one word).

The locals are called Geordies.

Their regional accent is almost impossible to understand.

Their religion is soccer.

Their tipple is Newcastle Brown Ale.

To them, every other englishman is a southern-softie.

And they eat Americans for breakfast :D

JB :)

(southern softie)

all I can say to that JB is why aye man

Actually I did search the following forums for Newcastle; ports of call, Northern Europe, Britian and Roll Call and found nothing except the one post that was mentioned. So once I received the informtion from the port office I posted the information for others to share on Roll Call, Britian and Northern Europe since it appears no other information was available. The docking berth is not identified on Google Maps, and transportion to Newcastle for passangers is not discussed on the port site or anywhere else I searched. Most mentioned is the walk to shopping mall and busses for the ferry passangers. That is poor tourist information. But the Port Authority email reply did provide a lot of valuable information to be shared.

:)

Archived