Barry Hopkins returning to the Mariner!

doc47

I was looking at the Seaborn board today when I came across a post from CD Extrodinarraire Barry Hopkins stating that he was returning to the Mariner for about 6 weeks in June and July to help celebrate the company's 20th anniversary.

I am envious of those booked on the Mariner during that time. If there was a CD Hall of Fame, Barry would be there...

This is what Terry Breen has to say about Barry in her latest newsletter:-

"As part of its twentieth anniversary celebrations, Regent Seven Seas cruises is welcoming back veteran cruise director, Barry Hopkins, as a special ambassador.

British-born Hopkins, who has also worked for prestigious lines including Cunard and Seabourn, will be aboard Seven Seas Mariner for five cruises between June 16 and July 27 in the Mediterranean.

"I'm thrilled that after an absence of almost five years, I'm going to be reunited with many of my old colleagues and friends," Hopkins says. "I retired 18 months ago and this time I'll be on board in a social capacity and can't wait to get back on board the Mariner which has always been very close to my heart as I was her original cruise director when she launched in 2001."

Hopkins spent more than two decades at sea and earned the reputation as one of the most popular cruise directors in the business, highlighted by his 2004 accolade as "Best Cruise Director" by CruiseReport.com.

He's also an expert speaker on the English monarchy and is an accomplished performer having "tread the boards" in some of Britain's most popular theatre productions in the 1970's including the hit musical Hans Christian Andersen which ran for one year at the London Palladium. The following year he played the title role in Dick Whittington and performed before Queen Elizabeth II and 26 members of the Royal Family at The Theatre Royal, Windsor. Hopkins has also recorded studio albums at Abbey Road and Ayr Studios in London."

Bummer that he'll be leaving just as we board-- but thanks for the post.

cruisinfun: I've been posting on our roll call, but no recent responses from fellow cruisers on that itinerary. Where are you staying for your pre-cruise days in Venice? Are you doing anything post-cruise?

Bummer that he'll be leaving just as we board-- but thanks for the post.

cruisinfun: I've been posting on our roll call, but no recent responses from fellow cruisers on that itinerary. Where are you staying for your pre-cruise days in Venice? Are you doing anything post-cruise?

I cruised with Barry from Singapore to Sydney on the Mariner a few years back and have remained friends with him since then. I will be on the Istanbul to Athens trip this July and am really looking forward to it. Barry leaves the Mariner on the 27th.

we are staying at the Luna hotel baglioni on san marco square. we have made no plans as we are looking forward to walking around venice and seeing all the sites. as for post cruise we are spending one night in nice and then flying out. how about you?

Archived