Urgent baggage advice

Bigmaan

Hello,

We are an Australian family of 4 going in carnival spender this Sunday. We have been traveling around Canada and USA for past 7 weeks. We have accumulated 8 large suitcases and 4 back packs. We were told by carnival prior to departing australia that we could store say 6 bags on board and the remaining inside cabin.

We just spoke to carnival again the morning and was told this was not the case and all bags must be placed in our cabin. Help please !!!!!

What are our options ? We fly into lax from las Vegas 8am the morning of the cruise. Do we just rock up and hope it all fits ?

Is there somewhere close by we can store for a week ? Surely we aren't the first passengers to arrive with this much luggage after traveling before the cruise.

Advice needed urgently.

Thank you so much

I'd call the airport and see if they have a short-term storage area there for several of your bags. Many airports have lockers too.... I'm guessing you will fly out the same way you came in?

If worse comes to worse, we will be on the Splendor with you (May 20-27, right?) and could take one or two of your bags into our cabin if you can't find room for them in yours. We will mostly have small bags and should have room to help you out if need be. If you want to email me I will tell you what cabin we are in and you can give us a call from your room phone to ours after you see whether you need some help or not.

bls414 at hotmail

I'd call the airport and see if they have a short-term storage area there for several of your bags. Many airports have lockers too.... I'm guessing you will fly out the same way you came in?

Due to 9-11, many airports have removed the lockers for long term storage:(

My family of five had about ten bags (five suitcases, a few small "carry-ons", and two large dufflebags which we brough empy, but were filled with alcohol and souvenirs when we left). We all shared a 185sf inside cabin. Even with five of us and all that luggage, space was never a concern.

There is a lot of "high" space under the bed. Store the larger bags there and the smaller once should all fit in the three large closets.

My DH and I often travel pre/post cruise. Usually we are able to make it work, but occasionally we've been drastically changing climates (Caribbean cruise mid December to Christmas/New Years with the family in the snowy Midwest) What we've done when we simply have too much luggage to fly/cruise with is use FedEx to ship our stuff home/ to our next location. We have shipped winter things to dad's pre-cruise so that they would be waiting for us post cruise. Then we shipped the cruise things home (actually to a neighbor's house) and the were waiting for us when we eventually arrived home after the holidays. Shipping within the US was about the same price we would have been charged by the airlines for the extra luggage pieces. I am sure shipping internationally would be more, but it could be worth checking out to avoid the hassle of hauling and keeping track of the extra pieces.

I don't think there'd be any problem storing 6 under the two single beds. Other two could just sit on edge on top of each other somewhere. Or take Unknotted up on his great offer for the last two.

But ya know what ... you can make do with whatever you decide. Mankind didn't get to the moon by wondering how to do it ... they just did it.

I'm more curious about where you're going to put all the crap that comes OUT of all those suitcases and back packs ... lol.

Have a wonderful time.

I usually have twin bed setups in my rooms and from that I can tell you that I'm pretty sure that you could fit about 2 ( maybe 3) 29 inch suitcases going the width of the bed. After the two 28 inch you can probably fit a couple carry ons after that.............and that is under each bed, so if you have them pushed together (a king) then I would say about 6 suitcases should be able to fit under that easy peezy. At least two of the closets have only a top shelf, so if you wanted to you could fit a few in the closets.

Nest them together if at all possible. You should be good to go. I mean if family's of five with like two suitcases each can do it.........you can. :D

Hi guys

We have 5 large sized , 3 medium sized bags plus 4 backpacks. We will walk up to the check in at the terminal and hope for the best. If we could possibly stack one bag on top of another in the corner we might get away with it.

Canada 2 weeks, niagara falls, NYC , Washington dc, Orlando , las Vegas, ? grand canyon then cruise. All with two kids ? What was I thinking ? Been Tiring but a great experience.

Thank you everyone for quick replies and nice offers. Just feel sorry for me when you see me pushing the massive trolley to the check in with kids fighting , wife yelling and me thinking of that first beer !!!

Thank you

There is a ton of storage space in the rooms on the Splendor. Perhaps taking all of your luggage to the room might be an option if you happen to unpack most of it into the cabinets/drawers and then place the collapsed suitcases under the bed or in corners of the room? The worst thing might be that you'll have to leave some full bags upright in the corners by the bed and it might be a tight squeeze.

And don't forget there are drawers under the couch/extra bed too for storage.

One other thought would be to find a storage facility near the port that you could rent for a week and then pickup on your way back to the airport. I am sure you could arrange it in advance and just have your taxi do a pit stop on the way to the port...

Hi guys

We have 5 large sized , 3 medium sized bags plus 4 backpacks. We will walk up to the check in at the terminal and hope for the best. If we could possibly stack one bag on top of another in the corner we might get away with it.

Canada 2 weeks, niagara falls, NYC , Washington dc, Orlando , las Vegas, ? grand canyon then cruise. All with two kids ? What was I thinking ? Been Tiring but a great experience.

Thank you everyone for quick replies and nice offers. Just feel sorry for me when you see me pushing the massive trolley to the check in with kids fighting , wife yelling and me thinking of that first beer !!!

Thank you

WOW! Sounds great ... and tiring. Hope you get to relax on the cruise. You deserve it.:)

Bigmaan, my offer stands firm. We'll have 1 med suitcase and a couple of carry-ons and will still have tons of room for you. And if you need to get into your suitcases at any time we'd be happy to meet you back at our cabin so you can get your stuff. We have no kids so our time is our own...and yours if you need us. But I'd rather not post our cabin number here, so plz feel free to email me at bls414 at hotmail dot com and I'll give it to you.

By the way, we do have a rollcall started, if you'd like to pop in and say HI. It's small and not very hectic, but nice folks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1552794

Hi guys

Thank you

If you let us know your room type, the collective and creative minds around here could probably give you an almost exact storage solution, lol. It sounds weird, but I bet they could.

Just off the Spirit, but I remember that Splendor was the same last year:

On Spirit the gap from floor to the underside of the bed-frame (the edge where the nightfrill/skirt hangs) is 30 cm. How do I know? Because when I put my suitcase on its side on the Spirit, it slid in under this point with no problem. Of course once it is past that lip/edge, then the area is slightly higher and you will have slightly more height from floor to the under side of the slats of the bed. If one of your suitcases is slightly higher than 30cm, then just lift the bed and push them it into that space. The beds are not heavy.

I consider my suitcase large, and I agree with the others that you will get at least 3 suitcases under each single/twin bed. As the others said, nest smaller suitcases inside larger empty ones, and you could always then leave some stuff inside the smallest one (which is nested inside of a larger one). Happy holidays.

Hi guys

We are staying in a standard statesman room main deck. Thanks for all this great help, offers . Amazing . Unfortunately carnival not too concerned for us. We got some poor advice but thems the breaks.

We will try and out as many as we can below the bed and the rest in corners.

Thanks .... Feel a bit better now - stress levels thru the roof few hours back trying to find solutions..

Cheers and thank you

On our last cruise we had an absolute ton of luggage because we were getting married onboard. We had 4 oversized suitcases, 2 large plastic bins, 2 carry on sized roller suitcases, garment bags, a giant backpack and a regular backpack- and somehow it all fit fine and we had no problems with space or storage.

OP- I may have missed it or forgotten but how many people are staying in your room?

In any case- don't worry and have a terrific time!!!!

Hi guys

We are staying in a standard statesman room main deck. Thanks for all this great help, offers . Amazing . Unfortunately carnival not too concerned for us. We got some poor advice but thems the breaks.

We will try and out as many as we can below the bed and the rest in corners.

Thanks .... Feel a bit better now - stress levels thru the roof few hours back trying to find solutions..

Cheers and thank you

When you get aboard, ask your room steward if he has a place to put a couple of your suitcases. If he does, give him a good tip !!!:D

Archived