NCL WIND - Need Excursion ideas/What to See and Do

djr59

Spending our honeymoon in Hawaii for 4 nights in Honolulu and 11 nights on the WIND. Looking to ideas on best sites to see, excursions to book or not book with ship, things to do on each port, should we rent cars, where, from who, etc. Any help is appreciated. First time to Hawaii, love cruises, love scenary, hate spending big dollars. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I suggest you first start by printing and reviewing the excursions offered by your cruise line. Mark the ones that sound like something you'd enjoy and line through the ones you're not interested or physically able to do.

Then go back through the excursions that appealed to you and try to zero in on which activities on which islands you most want to do. For instance, a helicopter in Kauai, a snorkel boat in Kona, road to Hana in Maui, etc.

Once you've generally decided on the activities you'd like to do each stop you can start doing searches on this Hawaii message board and/or Google the internet to get some reviews and check websites for the various excursions or activities that match your interests.

I'd guess there are non-cruise line operators for every excursion offered by your ship so you can decide if you want the convenience of doing a ship tour or would like to save money and book directly with the excursion operator. Or even rent a car and do your own sightseeing on your own. No matter what, the ship excursions generally tell you what things are available to do and see in each port.

I suggest you try to complete one port at a time instead of jumping back and forth between ports and the various activities. That can be so overwhelming! Just focus on one port, plan your day, make your reservations, and THEN move onto another port. You can always go back and change something later as you go along, but it's much less intimidating to take it a port at a time!

Once you've pretty much zeroed in on what you want to do in a port, you can always ask specific questions on this board about independent operators or specific sightseeing locations. You can also ask specific questions about the ship-operated excursions on the message board for your cruise line.

There are so many varied things to do in each port and everyone's interests and abilities can vary so much that it's impossible for anyone else to know the things that you will most enjoy or really hate! But once you have an idea what you'd like to do and can ask specific questions about a tour operator or location, you'll find lots of help from the CC readers.

I am also going on the Wind 7/23 and am doing 4 day pre-cruise. Here is a site that I am using for the pre-cruise. Prices are very good for the main things like Pearl Harbor and such. Since I am cruising single I am going with ship tours at the ports. Don't feel comfortable renting a car. I printed out everything and just booked what appealed to me along with reading reviews.

http://www.hawaiivacationlink.com/

Hope this helps!

Becky

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Becky & djr59

I've been searching for a while to find others that will be on the wind for the 7/23 cruise and here you are!! There will be four from my family going... My mom, her friend, my sister and myself and we are all from different parts of PA. Unfortunately, hubby Jeff could not go this trip :(

Not looking forward to the long flight myself to get there, but, we're counting down the days until it begins. 10 weeks and counting. Just wanted to say Hi and have a great day!!

Trish

Hi Trish! Glad to see someone else is on this cruise. Thought I would be alone! Just imagining all the pampering I was going to get as the only cruiser! But glad to see others are going. This is my first solo cruise. Have previously taken kids and spouses. Really looking forward to this trip. First time to Hawaii! When are you flying out? I have one of the Entertainment books if you would like some coupons from it. Really doesn't look like I will be using them except for the eating places pre-cruise. Only 69 days away!

Becky

Hi Becky,

It's nice to meet you. Finally, another person on the cruise. This is the first cruise I will be going on without the hubby too. I am meeting my Mom and sister in Pgh for a flight out sometime on the 23rd. NCL is making the arrangements and we won't know until about 3 weeks out I'm told what our flight plans will be. I created a rollcall for this cruise but haven't had anyone sign up. Here's the link .. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3740765#post3740765

When are you flying out? I read from your previous post your doing a 4 day pre-cruise... that's great!! Extend that vacation!! Great to hear from you.

Trish

Research research and research on things you want to see and do. Then each island reserve a rental car and see it all yourself in your own timeframe. We did this twice on both Hawaii cruises we did and seen alot more than the excursions from the ship and for way less money. Remember it is the US so driving here is easy and with no worries.

Trish,

Will NCL fly you out on the 22nd? Very long flight and I would think they would do that. I haven't cruised NCL before so am not sure but it makes sense. I am leaving from Ohio on the 19th. Figure it will take me some time to get acclimated to the time difference.

Have you booked tours yet? I booked through NCL. Read where most rent cars but I am not comfortable doing that alone so will stick to ship tours. Where is Mechanicsburg in PA? SIL is from Meadville.

Becky

Hi Becky,

As far as I know, we will be flying to Honolulu on the same day as the cruise, the 23rd. I'm the youngest (40) in the group and I'm not looking forward to it :) I'm hoping the flight has two stops to break it up. I've never gone with NCL before. I've been on Celebrity and Princess and usually booked my flights myself. This is the first time I booked through and agency and don't know what my flight arrangements will be for everyone. But, since the online site booked directly with NCL, then they are handling my air and will do everything to make sure we are there to catch the ship.

Mechanicsburg is in Central PA near Harrisburg. We'll be flying out of Pittsburgh because my mom & her friend, and my sister are from there. Majority rules :)

Becky,

Me too... I'm looking forward to the destination!! Already starting to think about things to take and we have about 10 weeks yet to go. Drop me a line sometime in my email net.att@triciah (backwards) but I use this one for just junk mail and to use in bulletin boards. Have you started to pick out your excursions yet? I saw you referenced you were doing NCL ones. I've never cruised with NCL, anxious to see how they are.

Trish

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, to all of you going on the Wind on 7/23/05! I am going with my mom. her friend, my husband and my 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son. We are from the OC (CA) and will be staying 5 days precruise.

We are flying out from Pittsburgh PA on the 21st, with some time in Honolulu. We will probably cross paths, since our daughter (13) will be looking for the teen activities as well.

Enjoy the anticipation of the trip!

Archived