Maxi-Dress Where do you wear them?

Hi shorbr ~

I hear what you are saying 100% since I am in the very same Boat ! no pun intended !

I am a 2X and sometimes a 3X I have lots of loose Flubber (Spanx are My Friend) but I refuse to wear a bathing suit unless I am in my Own Back Yard !!!

Although let me say, I admire The Plus size Ladies who go to the pool with their heads held High!

I wish that could be me, sadly when I used to be much heavier, I had plenty of time observing people on these ships at the pool.

I have seen first hand the larger ladies in their suits become the Brunt of a lot of Private jokes .....The more people Drink the worse it gets and soon the phones come out and pictures are being taken, only to end up on YOU TUBE or Facebook later on ! It has happened more than once ,sooo No matter how Much I personally want to be one of those people who Don't care what other's say .....I AM :-(

NOW having said ALL that and Being "Debbie Downer"

I think these Maxi Dresses make us Larger girls blend in more ! That is WHY I was on such a hunt to find a Casual but Cute long Maxi that would be suitable around the pool ! I have a Solid Black Swimming Suit that I MIGHT just wear under it, so I stick out even less :-) No one needs to know that I will NEVER take the cover up off ......Unelss I have to Go to the Bathroom That is LOL!

@Sharrod thanks for the link and I do have something like that for my smaller pieces BUT I have invested in a couple of Larger Statement pieces....(Not sure what the satement is LOL)

They don't fold or Bend But I do like the Idea of the Ziplock bags I think I can wrap them in tissue and put them in a 2 quart bag and pack them flat on the bottom of the suitcase..Good Idea Thanks ;-)

@ susiemoon you go Girl ~ Us 60 plus ladies like to be stylish too ! Quick story, Yesterday at Macy's I saw these 2 cute little ladies perhaps 80's plus, both buying a Maxi Dress....The conversation was all about one of the little ladie's daughter hemming them up, because they did not want totrip over them and Fall ....So sweet , Love it :-)

I think this is a Great Thread and I don't feel like there is ever a perfect answer for all of us, we are all individuals, this is a great forum to share our ideas,shopping tips and opinions:-)

Have a Great Tuesday All ~

Thanks so much. I am 57, but I feel very youthful for my age and don't want to look like an old, fat lady. I just ordered a cute swimsuit from Always For Me and I think it might work out. And I agree, the maxi dress is very forgiving for us larger women.

I am thrilled that you were able to find something that makes you feel comfortable ! I wish Swim dresses would work for me but my weight is very much in my legs and hips ! Unless I wear those Pantaloons like they did in the 1800s LOL, a swim dress does NOT cover what I need to cover :-)

I read your posts on the other thread and I think you are going to be perfect in your swim Dress :-) Oh the things we ladies stress over !

Don't ya just love how we come in all shapes and sizes ! I have a friend who is a size 5 and has Cellulite and she will NEVER wear a Bathing suit :-)

I hope you enjoy your cruise ......I am counting the days until ours ......that is 32 to be exact !

I am thrilled that you were able to find something that makes you feel comfortable ! I wish Swim dresses would work for me but my weight is very much in my legs and hips ! Unless I wear those Pantaloons like they did in the 1800s LOL, a swim dress does NOT cover what I need to cover :-)

I read your posts on the other thread and I think you are going to be perfect in your swim Dress :-) Oh the things we ladies stress over !

Don't ya just love how we come in all shapes and sizes ! I have a friend who is a size 5 and has Cellulite and she will NEVER wear a Bathing suit :-)

I hope you enjoy your cruise ......I am counting the days until ours ......that is 32 to be exact !

Don't want to sound like some crazy lady, but did you get a chance to see it. I am so excited. My weight is basically in my stomach and waist areas. I'm gonna blame it on menopause...lol

Wow, you don't have long because your cruise. I hope you enjoy!!!

http://www.alwaysforme.com/plus-size-bathing-suit-80823wa.html

Hi shorbr,

No I did not see it ! and silly, I don't think you are a crazy lady at all :-)

It is Lovely and very Classy :-)

Did you say What color ? Black ,Plum or Teal ?

Teal, I thought it would be great with my complexion.

@ shorbr I love the Teal it is my Favorite Color Great choice !

@ all posters on this thread ~ Today I matched up all my Jewelery with all my clothes and hung it in ziplock bags on the hangers with the Maxi dresses and clothes they go with. I learned that little trick on one of these threads ....It works out great. When you pack it is all right there ......I took it one step further and got a grocery bag and hung the Bras or foundation garments ie spanx etc.with the outfit I need it for ! I may have just organized myself into a corner LOL

After reading all of the positive replies to my original post, I started thinking that I could get used to a Maxi dress.

Well, I was in Wal-Mart this morning and they had some really cute ones. I tried 2 on, different styles. One was a spaghetti strap and one was a sleeveless surplice. Yuck! They looked terrible on me. I was disappointed but there was just too much color, or fabric. I am just not sure. I might take my daughter with me sometime and see what she thinks. Sometimes I think you just need a second opinion.

@ shorbr I love the Teal it is my Favorite Color Great choice !

@ all posters on this thread ~ Today I matched up all my Jewelery with all my clothes and hung it in ziplock bags on the hangers with the Maxi dresses and clothes they go with. I learned that little trick on one of these threads ....It works out great. When you pack it is all right there ......I took it one step further and got a grocery bag and hung the Bras or foundation garments ie spanx etc.with the outfit I need it for ! I may have just organized myself into a corner LOL

That is a great idea. I am already starting to buy little things for my upcoming cruise. Got some shorts from and tops to match, but the ziplock bags is a great idea with jewelry inside on the hangers with clothes they go with. I also ordered a coverup from Victoria Secret to wear on one of the sea days. So I will carry about 4 outfits for the evening.

Tee...hee....I thought I was an organized person, but you got me beat!!!

@shorbr~ Well I wish I could take credit for that Brillant Idea BUT I Gleaned it from another thread and I don't even know which one so I must give Credit where credit is due. Now I have taken it and Run with it :-) .....If I need some piece of Jewelery I will just get it out but Most of this is just to dressy for daily use :-) I am glad you are able to use the tip too :-) That's what I love about these sights....... The exchange of Great Ideas :-)

@luvscruising2007~ Don't give up on the Maxi's ......It is sort of you have to kiss a lot of Frogs to find your Prince kind of a deal !

There are so many styles and materials and the ones at Walmart were not good on me at all, but the ones at JCP were great and Maci's too But not all So don't stop with just Walmart. The ones with a Bit of Spandex are not as clingy and seem to hang better and closer to the body ! When I walked into Pennys yesterday here in AZ. they had devoted a whole section to just Maxi Dresses :-) I thought of another great reason for Maxi's sometimes my feet swell when cruising and if have a Maxi on for dinner no one can seemy Cankles :-) Yippee !

nurseratchett-- Thanks for the encouragement.

I am afraid I am very picky about the print and color so it is hard to

find something I even want to try on. But, maybe if I stop trying and

just look occasionally, I will find that prince among all of the frogs.:)

After reading all of the positive replies to my original post, I started thinking that I could get used to a Maxi dress.

Well, I was in Wal-Mart this morning and they had some really cute ones. I tried 2 on, different styles. One was a spaghetti strap and one was a sleeveless surplice. Yuck! They looked terrible on me. I was disappointed but there was just too much color, or fabric. I am just not sure. I might take my daughter with me sometime and see what she thinks. Sometimes I think you just need a second opinion.

Walmart is never a good place to buy clothing that you actually want to look good on you. :D You get what you pay for there. When I was losing weight I bought a lot of stuff from them just to get me through the transisions. Now that I'm at my ideal weight I won't touch them... I tried to right before the last cruise and became painfully aware of how lacking in fit their items were. Stick with JC Penney, Macy's and places like that. They have better cuts and quality.

These Maxi dresses are gorgeous and so different from anything we get here - also bonus - they do free shipping to New Zealand too!!! Thanks!!!

Yes, beautiful (to me anyways) fabrics, embellishments, and designs!!!

Sherilyn-- you are right about WM clothes. I worked there for many years and with the discount I got used to buying their T's. Cheap!

I have been slowly losing weight and have discovered I hate shapeless clothes. They may be the problem with a Maxi. Not that I am finished losing weight and have a great figure, lol, but I just am tired of looking fat and pregnant. So, I will just shop around for awhile until I find what I like.

Walmart is never a good place to buy clothing that you actually want to look good on you. :D You get what you pay for there. When I was losing weight I bought a lot of stuff from them just to get me through the transisions. Now that I'm at my ideal weight I won't touch them... I tried to right before the last cruise and became painfully aware of how lacking in fit their items were. Stick with JC Penney, Macy's and places like that. They have better cuts and quality.

I agree with you on that. Even though I am plus size I buy my clothing mainly from Talbots and Macy's. I only recently started to buy stuff from Walmart because they have nice shorts and tops which I have purchased for the cruise and once the cruise is over I will not wear again.

Victoria Secret has beautiful maxi dresses and they are reasonably priced. Just purchased a cute cover up for bathing suit.

I agree with you on that. Even though I am plus size I buy my clothing mainly from Talbots and Macy's. I only recently started to buy stuff from Walmart because they have nice shorts and tops which I have purchased for the cruise and once the cruise is over I will not wear again.

Victoria Secret has beautiful maxi dresses and they are reasonably priced. Just purchased a cute cover up for bathing suit.

There are a couple VS maxi's that I love. Unfortunately, the clearance price for them is in the $80 range:eek:. I just keep watching and maybe they will go a little lower!! If not, oh well:p

You are so right on about that..tshirts that last two washings, etc. I don't even use the clothes dryer, use better detergent and they still fall apart. I've done the same thing..when "in between" sizes bought clothes there. I lost 25 lbs in the last 6 weeks and fortunately a "larger" friend was getting rid of things that were too small for her and they fit me just perfectly and a lot of it was high end designer stuff so I won.

Lately I've been shopping a lot at vintage boutiques and consignment stores..you'd be amazed at the high quality made clothes you can find that are still in great shape. In my area of Florida we are lucky to have a ton of them. I'd also say stay awary from Kohls..there clothes are horrible..they look nice on the rack but are made of crap. Vera Wang should be ashamed of herself for putting her name on that crap. Nordstrom Rack is a great place to shop for better made clothes that are reasonable, too.

I still have my eye on a vintage Pucci maxi dress too..:)

I don't think $80 is bad if it's well made with good fabric, etc. But sadly, I think most VS stuff is made of crap, and their bras too. I've bought my bra's at Fredericks of Hollywood for years and I have a couple that have lasted over 10 years.

There are a couple VS maxi's that I love. Unfortunately, the clearance price for them is in the $80 range:eek:. I just keep watching and maybe they will go a little lower!! If not, oh well:p

I'd also say stay awary from Kohls..there clothes are horrible..they look nice on the rack but are made of crap.

To each her own. I have Sonoma, Dana Buchman, Chaps clothing from Kohls that holds up quite nicely for years. No, the fabric and finishing isn't as nice as the items I buy from Talbots, but worth it for the price. $20 for a cotton sundress at Kohls (Sonoma brand) that last for 4-5 years? That I wear once a week or every other week for 6-7 months of the year? That's a heck of a price per wear in my ledger:D

I'm glad someone had luck with them..too many wasted purchases so I gave up. Those aren't brands that have styles I like but I"m glad they work for you. I take good care of my clothes, I don't use a dryer, dry clean only what says dry clean, and I use good detergent. It's a crap shoot I guess.

To each her own. I have Sonoma, Dana Buchman, Chaps clothing from Kohls that holds up quite nicely for years. No, the fabric and finishing isn't as nice as the items I buy from Talbots, but worth it for the price. $20 for a cotton sundress at Kohls (Sonoma brand) that last for 4-5 years? That I wear once a week or every other week for 6-7 months of the year? That's a heck of a price per wear in my ledger:D

Oh I Love that SusieMoon ~

Ok I just have to tell this story :-)

We used to have a dog on our farm .....His Name was Tally ! Everyone on our Farm had jobs, Tallie's was to get the paper every AM and bring it to the house. He took this job very seriously ......Except on Sundays that is, he would go out to get the paper and it would just be to big for him to carry Soooooo every Sunday he would just lift his Leg and pee on it and walk away !

It was a Small town and we knew the carrier,we asked if he could just stick Sunday's Paper in the Mailbox so my Grandpa would not Cuss in German all morning when he got a very pee wet paper :-)

As far as where I shop ~ I am one of those people who love to shop it can be expensive form of excercise for me if I shopHigh end all the time :-) ~ I can shop all day and not know how tired I am or how bad my knees hurt until I sit down;-( I need 2 new knees and recently got a new hip :-)

Having said that I shop Kohl's all the time ! I grow weary of wearing the same so I like Quanity more than Quality unless of course I am looking for something special ....Now because I am a 2X and 3X depending on the maker. I found the Maxi Dresses at Kohl's were not a good cut for me yet the ones at Macy's and JCP seemed to be much better in fit and style for me.

I honestly don't care what store it comes from as long as it looks good :-) With Ross and TJ Max ,Marshalls and even Nordstrom's Rack, there are real Bargains to be found BUT in my size they seem to be pretty picked over ! Obviously they are less expensive stores and stuff goes very fast. If I find something I like at Wal Mart and it looks good on me,and i only pd 15-20 bucks for it, I don't really care how long it lasts Cuz I am one of those people who Donate to Goodwill frequently ! I guess I am an equal oportunity shopper High end Low end it's all good for me :-)

I have LOADS of these dresses, of course I live in FL, and can wear these every day, though we do tend to call them" Caftans" - sounds so much more "upscale"!!!!!

I would like to write one thing - please do not throw brickbats at me.

Caftans , Maxie dresses whatever you choose to call them do look so much more attractive than "senior" ladies wearing "pedal pushers - capris" or whatever you call pants that end about 5 inches above the ankle.

Lets face it ladies, when you reach a certain age, your legs, bust, buttocks etc all look even older than your face, a long dress conceals a multiude of faults.

BTW I am over 86 , live in a condo complex where most ladies are my age, and I shudder when I see someone my age showing off their mottled cleavage, love handle hips, and veined legs !

Hooray for the Maxie-Caftan, saves me having to wear a " burqua!"

Lynn

Honestly...what do you do when you are too heavy to put on a bathing suit? I have tons of cellulite and am ashamed to be seen in a bathing suit. I would love to enjoy the pool on board but feel so self conscious. Any suggestions...serious replies only.

Woman within . com has some really cute plus size swim suits/swim dresses etc...I bought one for my last cruise that was very 40's inspired 1 pc that I love in a coral red color. I also bought a black and white tankini that can be worn two different ways.

Archived