Need tips for NOLA parking, embarkation, etc

Dizzneefan

Where can I park? How much does it cost?

The Port of New Orleans offers three parking areas: The Erato Street Parking Garage for Carnival Passengers (1,000 spaces) the “Whale Lot” for Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Passengers (about 700 spaces) and the Poydras Street Lot for over-length vehicles. Cost for parking is $16 per day based on the length of cruise. Over-length vehicles will pay $32 per day. Cash or credit cards are accepted and passengers pay on entering lots. For oversized parking it is suggested that the passenger call in advance to reserve a spot. Please call             (504) 528-3318      . The Julia Street Cruise Terminal and Erato Street Terminal and Parking Garage are adjacent.

we usually get there around 10- 1030...most time on Lido eating lunch for 12....:D:D

I just got back from NOLA a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I thought the embarkation and debarkation process was bad. I know we got to the port at about 9:30, in zone 1, we were on board at noon.:mad: Hopefully it was just a bad week and things will be better for you.

We are sailing from NOLA in two weeks and this will be our first time leaving from there. I need some tips as to: Parking, Best time to arrive,

Embarkation process, etc.

Thanks

I got there at 11:20, was on board by 12:00 ... If I were retired and since I live in the NOLA area , I could go into business letting cars park at my house and then bringing passengers to the Port. I refuse to pay $16.00 a day to park. Thats almost 3 beers I could of had.

I always come in the day before, and park at the hotel. I did Quality Inn about a month ago, $129 and they shuttle you to and from the port and it includes breakfast.

If you park at the port its $16 a day.

There is one place, Fulton at $12 a day, not much else other than hotels.

I just got back from NOLA a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I thought the embarkation and debarkation process was bad. I know we got to the port at about 9:30, in zone 1, we were on board at noon.:mad: Hopefully it was just a bad week and things will be better for you.

I've seen some other posts that mentioned the zone process and although we do not cruise every year, (last one was 2 years ago) I don't remember a zone setup. It this something new that Carnival has started or just for NOLA embarkation only. Can someone explain the Zone setup and how you are assigned differ?nt zones? Is it according to you arrival time?

I've seen some other posts that mentioned the zone process and although we do not cruise every year, (last one was 2 years ago) I don't remember a zone setup. It this something new that Carnival has started or just for NOLA embarkation only. Can someone explain the Zone setup and how you are assigned differ?nt zones? Is it according to you arrival time?

yes, its according to your arrival time .

So, if we were to arrive at say, 10:00, we would go to the embarkation area, be assigned a zone, then return at 11:00 to begin the check-in?

No, by the time you recieve your zone #, you would have already checked in . They will take your bags from you the second you step out of the vehicle.. Go thru a door downstairs where they check your paperwork , go upstairs to security , go thru security after that you enter into a big room with "check in areas" , go to the desk , they check paperwork again , get your Sign and sail card , walk towards the seating area , they will hand you a card that tells you your zone #.

So, if we were to arrive at say, 10:00, we would go to the embarkation area, be assigned a zone, then return at 11:00 to begin the check-in?

We have usually arrived at NOLA pier around 10:15 am, checked our luggage with the porter, parked the car, then taken the elevators to the check in area. We have encountered a few long lines once there but usually it has been pretty quick even if the lines are long. Check in, get your Sail and Sign card, boarding assignment then we always sit and wait. There is a Mississippi riverboat pilot display there that you can look at for a few minutes and I think a place to get snacks and drinks. Your ship will be docked right outside the port window where you are sitting and it makes a good photo op. Once they call you zone, get in line, go through the area they make your ID picture and......you're on!

Thanks so much for all these responses. We're down to 13 days and as I am usually the planner for family vacations (3 families tis trip, including two seniors on their first cruise) I want to make this as easy as possible. The seniors are a little concerned already about getting seasick and even though I have assured this this is very unlikely, they are still a little nervous.

No you need to check in first. After you complete the check in process you will proceed to the waiting area where someone will give you your zone #. I've sailed out of New Orleans twice in the last year and both times it was a breeze. I arrived around 10ish had zone 2 both times and was sitting on the lido aound 11:30.

No you need to check in first. After you complete the check in process you will proceed to the waiting area where someone will give you your zone #. I've sailed out of New Orleans twice in the last year and both times it was a breeze. I arrived around 10ish had zone 2 both times and was sitting on the lido aound 11:30.

Can you leave after getting zone # and say, go to Cafe Du Monde and return to board?

Go to Cafe Dumonde before you go to terminal ..There is one at the Riverwalk ..

I've always hated sitting and waiting. I'd rather check in, get my zone and wander an hour and go back to board. Is that possible without losing my zone as long as I'm back before they call my zone? If not, I'll read or nap or pace or something. Think ADD. ;)

We just sailed on the Conquest 5/13 and embarkation was easy! We got to the terminal at 10:15. We shuttled in which was great because the cars parking in the garage were very backed up. There were only two people checking the cars into the garage so a lot of people were frustrated that it took so long. We skipped all the cars in the shuttle :)

While there weren't any lines we did have to wait in the seating area for awhile. They did not start boarding VIPs until 11:30 on the dot. Then, a lot of people went with zone 1 even though they were like zone 10. The employees explained that the zone process in Nola is due to the tunnel leading onto the ship. It isn't air conditioned so they try to keep people from getting stuck in a long line in there...

I've always hated sitting and waiting. I'd rather check in, get my zone and wander an hour and go back to board. Is that possible without losing my zone as long as I'm back before they call my zone? If not, I'll read or nap or pace or something. Think ADD. ;)

IM Add too ... I got there at 11:30 or so and was on board in 1/2 hour .. NOBODY in waiting area , walked right on board . If it makes you feel better to get a zone number and then go to Cafe Du Monde , then go for it..

We are sailing from NOLA in two weeks and this will be our first time leaving from there. I need some tips as to: Parking, Best time to arrive,

Embarkation process, etc.

Thanks

We've cruised from there twice and parked in the Erato garage both times. Parking in NOLA is very expensive. If you stay overnight at a hotel and can find a place to roll the parking in, that's helpful (so I've read but have not had the good fortune to experience). The garage also fills up and is crazy busy.

Embarkation was a breeze both times, under an hour from parking through the terminal. Have your boarding pass ready, and they'll walk you through the rest. After you get your S&S card, they'll give you a zoning card. Sit to the left of where they're announcing and sit close enough to hear and see both. It wasn't clear above the noise and music, and the sign they hold up isn't necessarily visible from the back.

• 3 months later...

Are they using x-ray scanners or metal detectors for passengers before boarding a carnival cruise at N.O. LA port? I'm really not comfortable with those scanners, as I have been hearing and reading too many negative comments on them and the possibility of them causing cancer.

I always come in the day before, and park at the hotel. I did Quality Inn about a month ago, $129 and they shuttle you to and from the port and it includes breakfast.

If you park at the port its $16 a day.

There is one place, Fulton at $12 a day, not much else other than hotels.

Thats where we stayed back in April, Quality Inn in Gretna LA. about a 10 min shuttle to the port. with free parking for up to 7 days. We are staying there again in December and again next April. in December we will be gone for 9 days but we were told that would be fine.

Unless you are in a hurry to board the ship, once we arrived at the port we gave our bags to the porters, then we left and walked around the river walk they have right on the port. It was 2 or 3 levels of shops and places to eat, we enjoyed it. Then once we got back to check in we were on the ship in less than 30 min.

Archived