Denali to Seward roads

paddingtonbear

I think, if we can, we will try to build in a stop somewhere. There is so much to see and do, I hate the idea of spending the entire day in the car. Rather take my time and stop to "smell the roses". I will check out Girdwood.

We made the drive from Denali to Seward on Sunday, July 8. Had a leisurely morning at Denali, ate a late breakfast at the Salmon Bake, then started our drive to Seward at 12:30. Stopped in Trapper Creek for a restroom break. Stopped at the Target in Anchorage to purchase a camera to replace the one that got dropped in the toilet at Denali. Then, went to dinner at the Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. We had to wait quite a while for a table at the Moose's Tooth (at 5:30 on a Sunday), but it was worth it. It was after 7 pm when we left Anchorage and started driving to Seward. There was a HUGE amount of traffic going the other direction (probably people returning to Anchorage after July 4 vacation), however, we did not encounter any problems going to Seward and arrived by 9:30. The drive was not difficult at all for us and I am glad we decided to do it in one day. The extra daylight helped also.

Absolutely.....It is mostly a 2 lane road with speed limits down to 45 at times...not many passing lanes and the road from Anchorage and Seward is one of the most dangerous roads in the US.....Not because of problems with the road but it is curvy and people are sightseeing....Where else can you see whales 40' from the road and Dall Sheep on the road.....and some people decide they need to get someplace fast so they speed and pass on a double yellow line....There are also night time road closures at time...There are roads in Alaska...major roads...that can close from 10 PM till 6 AM....and if there is an accident, you can delays of up to 6-7 hrs....More than once...coming back from Seward, it has taken 7-8 hrs....in what usually is a 3 hr trip....Plan on more time than you need....We have no interstates type highways here....

I was driving back from dip netting today when I was passed by 3 idiots over a double yellow just before Cooper Landing. Of course they got to the next curve before they ended up behind another bunch of cars doing the speedl limit...

Archived