Royal Carribbean basically "forced me" to tip waiters I never met!

I am confused. 2 cruises this past month and one cabin steward said don't worry about vouchers, we don't need them for crew to get tips. Next steward said, yes, we need vouchers. Went to Guest Relations with envelopes in hand last night of last cruise, explained they were vouchers only, and woman at desk said, yes, they are needed for employee to get their tip, can just put them in the Guest survey box at Guest Services if not going to MDR that evening.

A waiter from traditional dining told me that the vouchers are not really needed, but he liked to get them to be sure that he was getting the tips that were due him.

Ok, the WJ…

The people in the WJ clear the table and they might bring you a drink if you don’t get your own. They don’t serve you; you get your own food.

So how much would be a fair tip compared to the amount of work the MDR staff puts out?

And although some of the WJ servers also work the MDR in the morning or lunch, they don’t all do so.

What about all the other workers in the WJ?

How about the guys who bring out trays of food? Those guys are often right there in front of you. Do you ever tip them?

How about the guy who makes your omelet or the greeter telling you to squirt some sanitizer on your hands?

If everyone were to have a policy of tipping anyone who did anything to serve, I think it would soon get out of hand. There are hundreds of people who would be on such a list.

I believe in giving the tips to the people who are mentioned in the cruise line suggested gratuities list.

Want to hive more for some special thing, fine.

But as in any hotel or restaurant, there are people who are supposed to be tipped by customers and people who are not customarily tipped.

Lots of people on this thread say, “We prepaid our gratuities so we would have one less thing to worry about”.

Does that sound like someone who wants to be tipping this and that person during the cruise?

I don’t believe the MDR staff shares their tips with anyone. The suggested tips or the added tips for special service are not pooled. I have never seen anything about that in anything put out by the cruise line.

The three folks who make up the server team in the MDR all have different levels of suggested tipping. So how does it work? The “waiter” makes much more from my table than the “head waiter”. Are we to believe that these folks pool that money?

If it’s all pooled why are there different suggested tipping amounts for the various wait team positions?

And complaining about tipping makes me do an eye roll. I think EVERYONE should be forced to wait tables at least once in their life. It gives you a healthy appreciation for what tipping is all about.

Amen, Brother!

I don’t believe the MDR staff shares their tips with anyone. The suggested tips or the added tips for special service are not pooled. I have never seen anything about that in anything put out by the cruise line.

The three folks who make up the server team in the MDR all have different levels of suggested tipping. So how does it work? The “waiter” makes much more from my table than the “head waiter”. Are we to believe that these folks pool that money?

If it’s all pooled why are there different suggested tipping amounts for the various wait team positions?

You can't figure out if the tips are pooled or not on Royal Caribbean that way. Because there are different suggested amounts does not mean they don't pool. The tell that they might not be pooled on Royal is the envelope system instead of auto tipping.

On the cruise lines that automatically deduct the gratuities the tips are pooled. On Royal Caribbean which still uses the old traditional envelope system, they may not be pooled. But then again....

I have never asked on Royal and even if I had that does not mean I or you, if we asked would get a straight answer.

The head waiters make more than the waiters because although the suggested amount is less, they collect that amount from more people than the waiter. It is so easy...just pay the tips! You were served food SOMEWHERE, pay up! Spending all of your cash is a result of poor planning! Sorry!

So what does it come to maybee 10.00 a day if you pay the suggested amout .Per couple 20.00,where on this planet do you get service like this for 20.00 a day, even if you give it to the person that serves you directly it still goes into the same pot and is split accordingly,Can you imagine that some people really feel like they are getting so ripped off having to pay tips, and you dont have to if you really want to be cheap ,even if you are paying by card you can specify at the dest that you dont want to pay whatever ,I wonder what these cheap people would tip at the Royal York,do you think it might be more than 7.00 per couple ,probably and to think they didnt even have there bed made ,breakfast ,lunch, snacks , or turn down service . Thoase that cant afford to tip these very hard working people that make there trip special cant afford to cruise and should seek out another type of holiday .

So what does it come to maybee 10.00 a day if you pay the suggested amout .Per couple 20.00,where on this planet do you get service like this for 20.00 a day, even if you give it to the person that serves you directly it still goes into the same pot and is split accordingly,Can you imagine that some people really feel like they are getting so ripped off having to pay tips, and you dont have to if you really want to be cheap ,even if you are paying by card you can specify at the dest that you dont want to pay whatever ,I wonder what these cheap people would tip at the Royal York,do you think it might be more than 7.00 per couple ,probably and to think they didnt even have there bed made ,breakfast ,lunch, snacks , or turn down service . Thoase that cant afford to tip these very hard working people that make there trip special cant afford to cruise and should seek out another type of holiday .

Great post! Hits the nail on the head!

Thank you!!:)

Rick

It is known if you eat in the MDR or not. Even if you eat in MTD you are checked in. When you don't show up and haven't made alternative dining reservations, the tip for that night goes to the WJ dining crew. Ask any dining room manager. RCI doesn't publish these minor details.

Gina

I'm surprised there are so many people who feel such a lack of maturity that they don't feel able to allocate and pay tips on their own. They think the cruise line should make it "easy" on them and add it onto the cruise price? There's nothing stopping anyone from going ahead and adding it on to their own cruise price by pre-paying their tips. How is paying tips so difficult? Life's rough. :rolleyes:

Some of us follow the tipping guidelines of various cultures depending on the country we are visiting. Think of the ship as having it's own culture and respect it.

Gina

I tip and have no problem doing so. I tip extra if I believe it to be warranted.

But am I a cheapskate for not tipping my MDR staff for the night I went to Chops? I hope not, as this is the way I have been doing since I first cruised.

BTW I tipped extra at Chops. It was great!

And are specialty restaurant tips pooled with the rest of the wait staff in general or just among the specialty restaurant staff if pooled at all?

Gina has hit the nail, on the head, again.

For me, it is real simple....can't or won't pay the tips....don't cruise!!:eek:

Leave the cabin open to those that know what service they receive, and are willing to tip for it.

That is why I'm for a total prepaid tipping system!!

Royal Caribbean.....wake up!!

Rick

So I am confused now, we are going in December and we already prepaid tips. Do we need to give the vouchers for them to recieve their tip?

Thanks in advance.

This isn't difficult. They tell you how much and who you "might want to show your appreciation to," tip! The room stewards and wait staff will base their weekly earnings on the number of rooms or number of table covers they have assigned to them that week. They don't care where you eat or don't eat. They probably don't care if you sleep on a sunbed on the pool deck every night. For the cruise those staff are assigned to serve you, even if the reality is that the function is shared or delegated to somebody else. No doubt there are all sorts of permutations of what they do with these tips, but the general expectation must be that they will receive at least the recommended amounts.

Vouchers in envelopes are probably unnecessary, but they serve a number of purposes. They help the staff concerned keep track of their gratuities. They allow the guest to ensure the staffmember knows they appreciate their service. Most importantly (no doubt,) they provide the opportunity for a little something extra to supplement the recommended amounts.

Like it or not, this is the way it works and even if you somehow remained oblivious to the fact, there are endless repetitions on the room TV's and in the compass to remind you of the "recommended" amounts and practice.

Tipping in the UK isn't quite the alien culture some would have you believe. Tipping in restaurants, taxicabs, hairdressers, hotels, porters, bars (not pubs) is all quite normal practice in the UK. The gratuity percentages in the US are often a little higher than they might be in the UK, but with sales taxes (at 20%) included in the bill, it sometimes causes a bit of a "sticker shock" for visitors from the UK to see 7-12% sales tax added on to their check and then another 15% - 20% expected as a tip.

However that is the way it is, and in truth the inclusive sales tax and smaller tip in the UK pretty much balances out the smaller (add on) sales tax levy and service charges in the US. The problem is that your bargain seeking traveller often fails to take this into account when they first see the headline price.

A lot of restauarants and hotels in places popularly frequented by UK and other overseas visitors get around this problem by adding an automatic "service charge" to the check.

In Australia and New Zealand it is much less common practice to tip for services, but the wait and service staff in big city venues frequented by international visitors have learned how to overcome these cultural differences. Australians and New Zealanders are also frequent travellers overseas and will be no strangers to the expected norms in major foreign countries.

These ships wherever they sail from, are floating American resort hotels. Their currency, attractions and practices largely reflect that fact. It would seem less confrontational and far more relaxing to adapt to the practices and customs prevelant on board.

I can understand where poor service raises an objection (if that occurs,) and I can understand that it is an extra non-inclusive charge (as many things in North America are,) but I cannot understand selecting this type of vacation and venue and then simply railing against the cultural norm.

First confession...I jumped to the last page....

Second...I also think a service charge should be implimented, or pay the waitstaff and those that benifit from tips straight up.

Third...I would still tip for good and great service. It's our culture.

It could go to anyone that made our experience better.

So I am confused now, we are going in December and we already prepaid tips. Do we need to give the vouchers for them to recieve their tip?

Thanks in advance.

Simple answer.

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what do you do if your tips are prepaid and you don't plan on tipping extre...Is there a paper voucher you get to put in your envelope to show you've prepaid tips ...seems pretty stupid to me!

I wouldn't call the way another culture does things "stupid". Part of our tipping culture is the interaction of giving the tip personally in many cases and saying thank you. We like doing this. Of course for those that are too shy that isn't necessary. There are variables to this depending on the situation. Knowing how to handle this in different situations becomes natural. We grow up learning how to deal with tipping such as doing it personally, leaving it on the table ( or bed) so please be careful when you use the word "stupid".

Tipping can be a pleasant experience for both sides. We aren't going to let prepaid vouchers ruin the experience for us. Hence the envelopes.

I wouldn't call the way another culture does things "stupid". Part of our tipping culture is the interaction of giving the tip personally in many cases and saying thank you. We like doing this. Of course for those that are too shy that isn't necessary. There are variables to this depending on the situation. Knowing how to handle this in different situations becomes natural. We grow up learning how to deal with tipping such as doing it personally, leaving it on the table ( or bed) so please be careful when you use the word "stupid".

Tipping can be a pleasant experience for both sides. We aren't going to let prepaid vouchers ruin the experience for us. Hence the envelopes.

This is a good point that I never see mentioned. If you said another cultural practice is 'stupid' people would be all over you.

We really do learn about tipping from a very early age. I have gone over it with my teens, now that they are old enough to go out on their own, and they don't have a problem with it; it's just what one is supposed to do. They know how to tip hair stylists, cab drivers, and servers, and they know to give a little more if warranted.

I am sorry if my "stupid" remark offended you. My last seven cruises have been on Princess and I am so used to them just charging my account everyday for the tips and at the end of the week if I want to tip extra ..I just hand it to the person. The crew already know they are getting their tips because of the system,,so I just feel it is a little redundant to have the whole "envelope thing" on top of it.(along with all the extra paper involved}

Again it was the policy that I was referring to..not the actual practice of tipping.

After reading you post I now respect and understand RCCL's policy a little more even though I might not agree with it.

If all the tips are pooled and people being people….. Wouldn’t one expect to see some serious disagreements among the crew about who might be giving up their tips to the pool and who might be holding back?

I really can’t imagine a pooling system working smoothly.

Just pay the recommended amount to all the recommended people and toss in an extra on special occasions. You will be giving the crew more than some and all the crew really expects.

I am sorry if my "stupid" remark offended you. My last seven cruises have been on Princess and I am so used to them just charging my account everyday for the tips and at the end of the week if I want to tip extra ..I just hand it to the person. The crew already know they are getting their tips because of the system,,so I just feel it is a little redundant to have the whole "envelope thing" on top of it.(along with all the extra paper involved}

Again it was the policy that I was referring to..not the actual practice of tipping.

After reading you post I now respect and understand RCCL's policy a little more even though I might not agree with it.

I like the envelopes. Since there are multiple people who are tipped in various amounts, it keeps the bills sorted according to who gets what. And we always tip extra depending on service so the envelope never has just a voucher inside. Only once did we not have the same waiter each night in MTD so in that case, no envelope or voucher was used or given. If loose money is just laying on the bed, it's not likely the stateroom attendant would take it. Being in the labeled envelope, he/she knows it's for them. :) We are often times found later in the evening by the attendant and actually thanked which is quite nice.

Yes, I happen to really like our system of tipping in the states. Most tipped workers do, too. At least the really hard working ones. They make a lot more than a system of flat wages. Cash is KING! :)

Actually I think a lot of things are "stupid" in other countries and my own. I just wouldn't say it publicly. ;) No offense taken. :)

Gina

If all the tips are pooled and people being people….. Wouldn’t one expect to see some serious disagreements among the crew about who might be giving up their tips to the pool and who might be holding back?

I really can’t imagine a pooling system working smoothly.

Just pay the recommended amount to all the recommended people and toss in an extra on special occasions. You will be giving the crew more than some and all the crew really expects.

Tips aren't always pooled. It depends on the situation. At a busy bar with multiple servers, they immediately toss any cash into a box. But normally they can keep their own tips. I specifically asked a bartender we know well about this. He has full command of the language and knew what I was asking. I forgot to bring any bills to the bar and wrote on an extra $1 tip but not before asking him if he would get that dollar I added to my seapass account or was it going to be split. I knew he would get to keep the dollar had I handed him cash. He said he would also get that extra dollar I added to my bill. He was the only one working at that bar at the time. It was not going to be pooled for the entire bar crew.

Gina

Archived