Does anyone not do excursions?

LivsMom2006

I only do an excursion if it is something that I really want to do. My first cruise we didn't do any. My 2nd and 3rd we went parasailing. And then on my 4th we booked an excursion to go to the Mayan Ruins in Belize but that got cancelled due to rain.

We usually just get off the ship and find a taxi or just walk around.

My husband was not an excursion person or a beach person. Until I literally begged him to do a stingray excursion and our day on Half Moon Cay happened. He's a reformed man as those two things were the highlights of our trip. I know it's not really what you asked but I find walking around the ports boring and repetitive...Once I've seen one Diamonds International I've seen them all. The only port I found really interesting so far was San Juan.

There are some excursions that are water based or even exploring based that I wouldn't consider "touristy." Touristy sometimes is staying in the port area... especcially in Cozumel or even Grand Turk... If you want to, read up on the ports you are going too and maybe you will find something he likes.

We are going to be doing our 4th cruise in a few weeks. We have mixed it up..sometimes doing an excursion, sometimes wandering on our own and sometimes not getting off the ship at all. This upcoming one we are not going to do any excursions. But we are going to get off the ship in Nassau and go to Senor Frogs. While in Freeport we are not even going to get off the ship. We love having the ship to ourselves or at least that is what it feels like. Have a great time.

Thank you for all of your responses. We are stopping (not sure if that's the proper cruise term) in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We've never been to either. I would love to sit on the beach drinking drinks and soaking up the sights and sun. He would love to go golfing. :rolleyes: Most importantly, I would like for us to be together. This is our first vacation away from our daughter who is 5.

Personally, if it were just me and my dh, I'd only want to get off the ship if that port had some major history (i.e, San Juan). Beach ports.....eh,....after a while, they all seem to look alike. Grand Cayman is a place you could explore the town on your own just by walking off the ship and walking around the town. Cozumel, I haven't visited but hear they have Mayan ruins like other parts of Mexico. Sounds kind of interesting. I try to always do things at port that I could NOT do at home....otherwise, I stay on board. Going to someone's resort and sitting by their pool is NOT the thing for me. I could do that at my own home. I live in a swim/tennis development and can create any 'extras' I want. Might sound silly, but that's the point of vacation....to see things I can't see at home. The ship IS one of those things!!! So enjoy!!!:D

My DH is not really into touristy stuff, he's not really into laying at the beach either. (yeah he's boring) I'm starting to wonder if it's better off to just maybe get off the ship and wonder around the port for an hour or two and then go back on the ship and enjoy it while everyone else is off doing excursions. I'm starting to stress about the whole thing. I'm sure there are people who don't do excursions but I'm not hearing anyone talking about it. Thanks in advance.

We have done excursions but usually only one per cruise. We enjoy learning about the people and how they live. We usually walk away from the port are as you suggest. Sometimes we go quite far and sometimes not so far. In Cozmul we walked into areas that people look at us strangely at us, yes when we met some really good people and they put up with our poor spanish, but we were able to communicate.

Curacao was another great walk off the beaten bath. We saw some amazing things and met some great people. We love non tourist areas. We found a flea market there that had crude medicines and different type foods.

Places I would not walk far from the ship. Any Port in Jamaca. Take a tour there. There are a lot of places to see, but it can be dangerous. We had a retired NYC police officer on our crusie. He walked into an area on the other side of the harbor and had a gun with him. He said he would never do that again. Just be careful.

Belize city was wonderful. It was a bit scary, but ended up ok. We have been back and traveled the country without incident.

Personally, if it were just me and my dh, I'd only want to get off the ship if that port had some major history (i.e, San Juan). Beach ports.....eh,....after a while, they all seem to look alike. Grand Cayman is a place you could explore the town on your own just by walking off the ship and walking around the town. Cozumel, I haven't visited but hear they have Mayan ruins like other parts of Mexico. Sounds kind of interesting. I try to always do things at port that I could NOT do at home....otherwise, I stay on board. Going to someone's resort and sitting by their pool is NOT the thing for me. I could do that at my own home. I live in a swim/tennis development and can create any 'extras' I want. Might sound silly, but that's the point of vacation....to see things I can't see at home. The ship IS one of those things!!! So enjoy!!!:D

The idea on Cozmul is a good one. There is a Federal park very close to dock area. We took a cab for $5 for two people. They have a display village of Mayan life, swimming and diving beach, resturant or other food places. It sets right next to the dolphin swim as well. There was a small admission charge for the park. But we got to see people swim with the dolphins and watch their show as well for free. We did not get to swim with the dolphins. There was a charge for that. But we saw a lot of large fish right off the beach as it is not really for swimming. It is a big drop off right away. We were snorkling and although there was not any coral, we saw plaenty of free dolphins, some baracutta and a lot of fish I did not know. They also have sonk soe items for drivers to explore.

My fiance has done excursions before, and I have on my previous cruise. This time, we are not going to be doing any excursions. Our first port is Grand Cayman and is where we are going to be getting married, while on the ship, so no excursions that day. The 2nd port is Cozumel and is the day after the wedding. I have told him that I want the day to be just for ourselves, so while everyone else gets off the ship, we are going to stay on and enjoy a day alone without our family and friends. :D

Congratulations!!!

My fiance has done excursions before, and I have on my previous cruise. This time, we are not going to be doing any excursions. Our first port is Grand Cayman and is where we are going to be getting married, while on the ship, so no excursions that day. The 2nd port is Cozumel and is the day after the wedding. I have told him that I want the day to be just for ourselves, so while everyone else gets off the ship, we are going to stay on and enjoy a day alone without our family and friends. :D

Thank you for all of your responses. We are stopping (not sure if that's the proper cruise term) in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We've never been to either. I would love to sit on the beach drinking drinks and soaking up the sights and sun. He would love to go golfing. :rolleyes: Most importantly, I would like for us to be together. This is our first vacation away from our daughter who is 5.

Well since he is not a beach person he may not like it, but paradise beach in Cozumel is nice. I like to look at and be near a beach but not go on the beach because I don't like the sand in my everywhere (yeah I know I am kinda wierd). Paradise beach had a nice pool and bar with beers that were cheaper than the ship ($16 I think for a bucket of Dos Equis or $18 for coors light). So if I does not mind being near a pool and a bar, he MIGHT like it. The good thing about it was it was cheap ($2 a person I think, after a $15 taxi ride) so it was not a big deal to just stay a couple of hours and leave. There are a couple of other beach clubs that are basically bars (like Senior Frogs) also.

First off, congrats on your upcoming marriage. Second, very smart to have the wedding on the ship, instead of on GC, as that port is sometimes missed due to the sea/wind conditions and inability to tender safely. At least you know that if you miss GC you will still get married!:D

Last time we were in Belize, we got off the ship and went no further than the area "inside the gates". Grabbed a Belikin beer or two and people watched, wandered over to an "internet cafe" and checked our email, and got back on the ship. I'm sure lots of people do the same thing, especially at ports they've been to so many times.

~Denise

We generally do not do excursions.

Not to worry....

there are lots of folks that just hang around the port ....spend the day on the ship (which we do a lot depending on the port) .... and just RELAX!!

Ditto

For Cozumel you might want to check out Chaunkanaab.

It has a beach and things to keep the easily bored amused.

Gardens with walking paths and copies of Mexican antiquities, a re-enactment of a Mayan home and garden, iguanas (some big ones) palm trees and hammocks. palapas and beach chairs.

They have a nice shop and some small ones.

You can rent snorkel gear or bring your own.(at least bring your own snorkel)

You can wander down and peek at the dolphins.

There is a waiter who will come by to see if you want anything from the bar, but if you don't then it is cool too.

The drinks are good and around $5.

I have never seen it crowded.

My son loves it so much he wants to get married there.:)

The cab ride there is easy and the price is preset.

(The cab fare is the same for two or four people if you find someone to share with...if not it is not that much anyway. Have fives and ones as the driver may act like he has no change hoping for a bigger tip)

There are cabs waiting when you are ready to go back to the ship.

And I have found a coupon for $2 off admission.

Not much, but still $2 is two dollars to spend on something else.

We tried Paradise Beach and it is fine and nice, but it feels much more crowded than Chaunkanaab to me.

DH did not care for Paradise Beach.

On the down side of Chaunkanaab, you have to pay to get in (like $18) and one time there were mosquitoes in the shade.

(The mosquitoes were after a hurricane so not typical, but still best to be prepared, you know?)

I don't enjoy shopping in Cozumel.

The people are trying to make a living, but I don't enjoy it.

Some are really pushy and while I am not fluent in Spanish, but I do understand fat ho :rolleyes:)

If you are shopping be prepared to pay to use the restroom.

The other side of the island is nice.

As far as the Mayan ruins in Cozumel I would say don't bother.

The ruins are small and not impressive and there are stray dogs and people who sell fake jewelry or want you to pay to take a picture of a donkey. Creepy basically, imho.

DD bought a piece of jewelry from a little workshop there where some men were making jewelry from black coral.

Hers turned out to be fake...even the silver...

I have been to Cozumel ten times...so far

I like Cozumel.

Next time I want to snorkel one of the reefs.

For Cozumel you might want to check out Chaunkanaab.

It has a beach and things to keep the easily bored amused.

Gardens with walking paths and copies of Mexican antiquities, a re-enactment of a Mayan home and garden, iguanas (some big ones) palm trees and hammocks. palapas and beach chairs.

They have a nice shop and some small ones.

You can rent snorkel gear or bring your own.(at least bring your own snorkel)

You can wander down and peek at the dolphins.

There is a waiter who will come by to see if you want anything from the bar, but if you don't then it is cool too.

The drinks are good and around $5.

I have never seen it crowded.

My son loves it so much he wants to get married there.:)

The cab ride there is easy and the price is preset.

(The cab fare is the same for two or four people if you find someone to share with...if not it is not that much anyway. Have fives and ones as the driver may act like he has no change hoping for a bigger tip)

There are cabs waiting when you are ready to go back to the ship.

And I have found a coupon for $2 off admission.

Not much, but still $2 is two dollars to spend on something else.

We tried Paradise Beach and it is fine and nice, but it feels much more crowded than Chaunkanaab to me.

DH did not care for Paradise Beach.

On the down side of Chaunkanaab, you have to pay to get in (like $18) and one time there were mosquitoes in the shade.

(The mosquitoes were after a hurricane so not typical, but still best to be prepared, you know?)

I don't enjoy shopping in Cozumel.

The people are trying to make a living, but I don't enjoy it.

Some are really pushy and while I am not fluent in Spanish, but I do understand fat ho :rolleyes:)

If you are shopping be prepared to pay to use the restroom.

The other side of the island is nice.

As far as the Mayan ruins in Cozumel I would say don't bother.

The ruins are small and not impressive and there are stray dogs and people who sell fake jewelry or want you to pay to take a picture of a donkey. Creepy basically, imho.

DD bought a piece of jewelry from a little workshop there where some men were making jewelry from black coral.

Hers turned out to be fake...even the silver...

I have been to Cozumel ten times...so far

I like Cozumel.

Next time I want to snorkel one of the reefs.

Thanks for posting this. I mentioned it earlier but forgot its name. It was a great place. I dont remember the cose, but i dont remember it being that espensive.

I think if you're mobile enough to get around easily, it's a shame to just stay on the ship at every port (though I can understand the appeal of the peace and quiet). If your DH doesn't like laying on the beach, would he be bored sitting on a deserted ship by the pool? That being said, it's your vacation, so do as you like! But there's lots of options offered by independent operators that are not touristy (chartering your own boat, snorkeling, fishing, kayaking, sailing, etc.) or related to the beach (maybe hiking in a nearby park, strolling and shopping)? You shouldn't feel required to do excursions, but maybe explore what each port offers you on its own and surprise yourself.

For my family it really just depends. Some places we feel we need to do an excursion, because we wouldn't know what to do on our own. This has proved to be good in that we also learn more about the port/place than we would have without an excursion. We also will take excursions because we want to, or have built up a relationship with certain operators and know we will enjoy the excursion and go places we alone would not be able to.

Then there are the places we feel content to venture on our own. For example, St. Maarten is just a day of wandering around and visiting out favorite restaurant, Barefoot Terrace. Also in Grand Cayman we do our own thing, like go out to eat someplace or visit the turtle farm.

For us it really just depends on the place.

I spent my last 2 cruises entirely on the ship..........unfortunately I am now in a wheelchair and it's just such a pain getting on and off in most foreign ports that I have decided that it is not worth the trouble as it is next to impossible to find accessible transportation. My wife and children generally will do some sort of excursion while I cool out on deck. I've always enjoyed the quiet time on the ship and it's good to be able to get a hammock on Senerity.

Archived