Carrying a gift on board

tfinn

I'm sailing on the Star this coming Sunday. I'm bringing along an Ipad, which will be a gift to my daughter for graduation. Will I be able to bring a gift wrapped box on board, or will they insist I open it, essentially ruining the surprise?

I think you'll be fine. When they screen your bags, they're looking more for contraband (i.e., liquor, firearms, etc.). I don't think an iPad or any laptop (wrapped or not) will cause them to insist on a thorough investigation.

Like John said they probably won't but in the off chance they did why not have a backup plan and bring along one of those gift bags and some colored crepe paper in your suitcase and you can put it in that if they ruin your wrapping?

Just a thought.

If in your checked bag - 100% you will not have to open.

If in your carry on - you might, but I doubt it highly.

If going through airport scanner at airport, you will have to take it out.

On a related note, though not asked. The Ipad may be of little use onboard until you get it set up - which I think you need to be able to connect to computer or internet. Not 100% sure, but seems like that was an issue when we did ours.

Onboard internet is not cheap - $.40 - .75 per minute for slow connection.

Awesome gift. We bought our three adult children iPads for their respective birthdays. But I think I would just bring a picture of the box in a card.

As was mentioned save the fun of set up and use after cruise is over. She'll still know she has one. How exciting for her! It's almost as much fun for the giver!

Bringing it will be fun too. You can also buy her an Internet package onboard.

I'm pretty sure it will not be a problem. Last year we took our (then 3 year old) on her first cruise. We wasn't sure how she was going to do. So, we had a gift for her for each day for being good. They were all wrapped. No problems at all. :)

I'm pretty sure it will not be a problem. Last year we took our (then 3 year old) on her first cruise. We wasn't sure how she was going to do. So, we had a gift for her for each day for being good. They were all wrapped. No problems at all. :)

That's so nice!

If in your checked bag - 100% you will not have to open.

If in your carry on - you might, but I doubt it highly.

If going through airport scanner at airport, you will have to take it out.

On a related note, though not asked. The Ipad may be of little use onboard until you get it set up - which I think you need to be able to connect to computer or internet. Not 100% sure, but seems like that was an issue when we did ours.

Onboard internet is not cheap - $.40 - .75 per minute for slow connection.

Thanks everyone, for the helpfull replies. We decided to give her the gift early so she could set it up and have it ready to go. So, when you see the young blond with the new white ipad, say hello!:)

I think you'll be fine. When they screen your bags, they're looking more for contraband (i.e., liquor, firearms, etc.). I don't think an iPad or any laptop (wrapped or not) will cause them to insist on a thorough investigation.

You won't - been there done that. The port's / cruiseline's security is far different than TSA's.

Archived