FYI, Smokers, Carnival's cigarette prices have jumped!

Irishlinny

Just an FYI...we got off the Miracle last week and the price of cigarettes on the ship has gone up substantially since we cruised in Nov. You used to get 2 cartons for $52...now it's 2 for $75! While still much less than we're used to paying up here, that was a big jump. We ended up buying them in St Thomas for around $26 per carton...much better;):) Not sure if those prices are fleetwide, but thought I would share the head's up.

Just an FYI...we got off the Miracle last week and the price of cigarettes on the ship has gone up substantially since we cruised in Nov. You used to get 2 cartons for $52...now it's 2 for $75! While still much less than we're used to paying up here, that was a big jump. We ended up buying them in St Thomas for around $26 per carton...much better;):) Not sure if those prices are fleetwide, but thought I would share the head's up.

Our cruise on the Miracle ( 9 days from now whoohoo:D ) will stop in Nassau, grand Turk, and HMC. Where in that itinerary can my son get cigs cheaper than the ship. I mean he will probably but some on the ship cos they cost $11 a pack in NYC where he lives so $3.50 a pack is a great savings for him but if there is a cheaper solution why not.:D

I imagine that they will be cheaper in GT and Nassau will be cheaper than the ship, but not sure as we didn't do that itin this time. I don't think you can buy them on HMC, and if you did, they would probably be ship prices since it's a private island;)

Just off Pride last week. Cigs were 2/$52 or 5/$110.

Wow!!!! Off the Pride last month, and got FIVE cartons for $110. Don't understand the difference!!!!!

I've seen them jack up the prices when sailing from Norfolk (preparing to head up to NY for the season) and also the first time we sailed the Pride when she'd only been in Baltimore a few weeks. The next year they had dropped the price back down.

Coming from Virginia where they are relatively cheap, they were actually more expensive on the ship than at home. Then sailed many Florida sailings where prices were back to what we expected. This goes back to a sailing in 2007, another in 2008, and one in 2009 - they have a history of jacking up the prices when they think they will have many NE folks onboard who are used to crazy prices on them. Sounds crazy but Carnival has been doing it for a while.

Wow!!!! Off the Pride last month, and got FIVE cartons for $110. Don't understand the difference!!!!!

Wondering if it has something to do with the OP being just off the Miracle. This is the ship with the punchliners comedy brunch in place of breakfast and lunch in the MDR. They also charge for expresso and cappuchino in the MDR on this ship. So maybe the cig. prices are another reflection of the upgrades :eek: Carnival is throwing our way.

Or as another poster said maybe out of NY is the answer. Except for 1 cruise I have always sailed from NY with cheap cheap cigs. So glad I quit though cos $0 is always cheapest.:D

Wondering if it has something to do with the OP being just off the Miracle. This is the ship with the punchliners comedy brunch in place of breakfast and lunch in the MDR. They also charge for expresso and cappuchino in the MDR on this ship. So maybe the cig. prices are another reflection of the upgrades :eek: Carnival is throwing our way.

Or as another poster said maybe out of NY is the answer. Except for 1 cruise I have always sailed from NY with cheap cheap cigs. So glad I quit though cos $0 is always cheapest.:D

Congrats on your quitting!!!:) However, me still being a smoker, from CONNECTICUT, the most EXPENSIVE state in the country, and where cigarettes cost about $70 something per CARTON, it was like CHRISTMAS on the ship!!!!!! lol Definitely need to think about quitting....but I have to say, FIVE cartons for $110 is the price when I started smoking back in the 80's. lol

Both Fascination cruises Feb 4 & April 28 they were still 2 / $52. If they've gone up, DAMN!! I know I need to quit, but spending less is always nice until I do. I will get there when I get there...... however long that may take.

Our cruise on the Miracle ( 9 days from now whoohoo:D ) will stop in Nassau, grand Turk, and HMC. Where in that itinerary can my son get cigs cheaper than the ship. I mean he will probably but some on the ship cos they cost $11 a pack in NYC where he lives so $3.50 a pack is a great savings for him but if there is a cheaper solution why not.:D

Hey there Mamaskittles!

I am on the same cruise and I am also wondering if anyone knows the prices in GT or Nassau?? Of course being from CT the $75 for 2 cartons is still a HUGE bargain for me!

I would not be surprised that they charge more on a ship out of NYC knowing we pay more for cigarettes in this area. It doesn't make me happy but it does not surprise me!

If anyone knows what the prices and what brands are available (I prefer Marlboro Menthol Gold) in GT and Nassau I would appreciate hearing from you!

I bought 2 cartons in St Thomas for a friend and they were the cheapest I'd seen anywhere. Problem is, they had bugs in them and were stale. My friend had to throw them away so the cheap price wasn't such a bargain. When I bought them, the person I was cruising with bought a carton (different brand ) too for her husband and they were okay. Maybe it was just the brand I bought in St. Thomas that had a problem. If I buy them now for anyone ( I don't smoke) I only buy them on the ship just to be on the safe side.

You do know Carnival will match the price of anything you see in port. Just take a picture or bring in a flyer from the store.

No, I did not know that! Thanks for sharing!

Interesting to see the comments here that it doesn't appear to be fleetwide...yet, at least. This is the 3rd year in a row that we have sailed the Miracle out of NY and the prices were always the same as other cruises out of FL. I was shocked. I mean, to jump $11 per carton in 6 months was crazy! Sounds like they're testing the waters, so be aware;)

My brand (Newport) were 2/$75 or $37.50 for 1 on the Imagination last month. I believe they were around $25 for 1 when I sailed last summer. I'm pretty sure some other brands like Marlboro were alot cheaper but I can't remember the amount.

With those ports doubt you will find them cheaper than on the ship. Most things in the Caribbean are not good deals except on St. Thomas and St. Martin. (it is all imported and Nassau and Grand Turk have high taxes)

I'm not sure why the surprise. Carnival jacked the price of Bon Voyage liquor months ago. At least for now, I don't think they limit how many cartons you can carry on.

Maybe cruise more from New Orleans? Louisiana has some of the lowest cigarette prices to start with. ;)

I'm not sure why the surprise. Carnival jacked the price of Bon Voyage liquor months ago. At least for now, I don't think they limit how many cartons you can carry on.

Maybe cruise more from New Orleans? Louisiana has some of the lowest cigarette prices to start with. ;)

So true, I forgot the big BV liquor jump. I bought my son cigs on the NCL Spirit in NO last year. I for get the cost but it was waaaayyyy cheaper than NYC lol.

Whatever the price, it's on him I'll be spending my money on teh DOD's and Nick and Noras. :D

I just feel really unlucky that the MIracle is the test ship. No MDR lunch or breakfast and no free cappuchinos. I know it's no big deal to anyone but me and I am positive I will be too happy with the rest of my cruise to care butcall me crazy cos I like the extras.

So true, I forgot the big BV liquor jump. I bought my son cigs on the NCL Spirit in NO last year. I for get the cost but it was waaaayyyy cheaper than NYC lol.

Whatever the price, it's on him I'll be spending my money on teh DOD's and Nick and Noras. :D

I just feel really unlucky that the MIracle is the test ship. No MDR lunch or breakfast and no free cappuchinos. I know it's no big deal to anyone but me and I am positive I will be too happy with the rest of my cruise to care butcall me crazy cos I like the extras.

If there is any money left to inherit, I didn't do my job.

I thought there was still MDR breakfast on port days on Miracle? Actually there has to be.

wow!

does this mean they are now going to be selling cigarettes using american grown tobacco to warrent those prices?

or are they going to pass the inferior crappy stuff off at premium prices?

look for the official us seal if you buy.

If there is any money left to inherit, I didn't do my job.

I thought there was still MDR breakfast on port days on Miracle? Actually there has to be.

They have the Punchliner's Brunch on sea days from 9 - 1:30. On port days they have 2 breakfast times...7-9 and 10-12. And since we didn't arrive in San Juan until 3, they treated that like a sea day and had the brunch that day as well. I enjoyed the brunch...lots to choose from. (Just a note when getting the filet & eggs or the Huevos Rancheros, tell them if you like your eggs over easy or well done, etc, else they come out just barely done;))

perhaps its where thjey are sailing from??

NYC taxes the hell out of cigs.. last cruise in the dream it was 5 /110

This would make sense except we've sailed from NY the last 2 years as well and the prices have always been the same as on the other ships. Sounds like Miracle is being the guinea pig for a few new things, including raising prices:rolleyes:

Interesting note as well...apparently when she went through dry dock, they removed the ash trays from starboard deck 3 promenade, which is one of the advertised smoking areas:rolleyes: Yup, that makes sense. One has to wonder if they have some plans up their sleeves to turn Miracle non-smoking when she heads to healthy CA....why would you cut off the ashtrays in a smoking area:confused::rolleyes:

Archived