Renting a car in Seattle

wallyboag

I am trying to figure out the best car rental situation for my family cruising in Seattle on Holland America. We are a group of six adults and one toddler flying into SEA and staying in Bellevue. We will be in Seattle for three nights before the cruise an would like a couple of rental cars for that period.

My understanding is if you rent a car you can drop your family and luggage off at the pier, then drive the car to the rental car facility downtown and catch a shuttle back to the pier after returning the car.

When I try to book using Enterprise, the rental rate TRIPLES to over $150 per car per day when I pickup from the airport and drop off downtown! Dollar only charges $50 extra for the whole rental period for the one way rental which is much more reasonable, however their facility is much further way from the pier and I am unsure if there is a free shuttle back to the pier.

What do you think is the best transportation option for our group? Should we not rent a car and go with public transportation instead? Use super shuttle to and from the hotel and rent a car in Bellevue? There doesn't seem to be any sort of convenient way to arrange this!

This is a complicated situation, and a little more info is needed to possibly help. I frequently have to deal with complicated transportation when traveling with friends and family, and even just by ourselves. Sometimes thinking outside the box is necessary.

What are your specific dates (and time of arrival at the airport and cruise departure time)?

Will all 7 of you be going places together, or will you need to be going different directions at the same time?

Will your traveling be close to the Bellevue area, or further afield?

What's the best car rental price you've found so far?

Also, have you asked on the West Coast departure board?

And exactly where are you staying in Bellevue (you don't have to say exactly where, but a nearby mall, hotel, or other address would be helpful to help calculate costs).

Are you staying in Bellevue with friends/family? If you stay in Seattle you don't need a car to get around within the city. The buses in the downtown core are free, plus there's a free bus route #99 that runs along the waterfront and up to the Pike Place Market.

Alamo, National and Enterprise are the vendors with kiosks at the pier. They're the only companies I know of that offer a shuttle between downtown and the pier. I'm not saying that others WON'T. I'd suggest calling these 3 companies directly for a price.

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Services/Pages/default.aspx

If you have to get a roundtrip rental from Seattle, can your group manage the luggage well enough to take the light rail into town? $2.75pp for a 40 minute ride. Then pick up the cars and drive to Bellevue.

I just noticed << flying into SEA and staying in Bellevue. We will be in Seattle for three nights before the cruise>> Does this mean you're staying in Bellevue first then staying in Seattle for 3 nights?

I agree that there needs to be more information provided. As I read this, you are staying in Bellevue and want to use the cars to get around between there and downtown Seattle for a few days prior to your cruise as well as getting to the pier on the day of the cruise.

Your main problem is that the rental companies charge you more to pick up the car at the airport and return it downtown.

I am not sure why you are staying in Bellevue - family/friends/cheap hotel??

There are other options esp if you can stay downtown instead of Bellevue. There is a super shuttle service that runs between the airport and several of the downtown hotels - and even the ports. There is also a light rail system between the same two areas. Once downtown the main attractions are within walking distance of most hotels or a short bus or taxi ride. Look for hotels around the Seattle Center - this will get you close to the Space Needle, the Pacific Science Center and the Music Experience. You are also close to Pike Place Market and other Seattle sights. Some hotels offer cruise packages that include cheap car storage while you are on your cruise. For more information look here

http://www.visitseattle.org/Visitors/Discover/Cruising/Cruise-Packages.aspx

and here

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c50949/Seattle:Washington:Cruises.From.Seattle.html

I booked a car through CostcoTravel which I will pick up at SEA and drop off at downtown (Alamo), without extra charge. And then when I come back, I will pick up another car through Budget, which provides pick up service at the Pier, and then drop it off at the airport.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for offering to help!

Our trip dates are as follows: Arriving in Seattle on July 18 2:00 PM. Departing on cruise July 21 (hope to get on board before lunch). Return from cruise July 28 with a 1:00 PM flight that afternoon out of SEA.

Again we are a group of 7, six adults and one three-year-old.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites in Bellevue because we liked that we could book just two rooms, and it comes with breakfast and cocktails. Though we are a group, while we are in Seattle we will probably need two separate cars as the younger folks will want to go to some different places than the older folks will. Attractions we would like to see are the zoo, aquarium, underground tour and space needle.

Thanks again for any help!

Since your planned activities are all in Seattle, I highly recommend that you stay IN Seattle, not Bellevue. You don't need a car; you can ride the bus for free, and take the monorail to visit the Space Needle. Even the Woodland Park Zoo is on a bus route. Parking is very expensive in Seattle. I went to a play a few weeks ago; we paid $15 to park!

The only time you need a car is if you're travelling out of town, like to the Boeing tour in Everett. I really suggest that you look at Seattle hotels. It would make life much easier. Have a look at Seattle tripadvisor for some hotel ideas or on the West Coast Departures forum. On the West C forum, there's a STICKY at the top of the page for winning bids on priceline and further down the page you'll find older threads where people talk about where they're staying and what they're paying.

Our office has used the SilverCloud Lake Union for clients for several year, with fabulous feedback. It's not in the downtown core but on Lake Union about 2 miles from downtown. They have a pool, a full breakfast, free w/dryer, micro/fridge in each room, and a free shuttle that drops off at major tourist spots. (Or you can ride the new Lake Union Streetcar downtown.) It's a lovely location. There's a park by the lake and great restaurants. It's wonderful to sit and watch all the boat traffic, kayaks, and float planes. They have view suites with a separate bedroom. Check it out:

http://www.silvercloud.com/seattlelakeunion/

Here's info on the downtown ride-free zone with a map on a separate tab. Be sure to try one of the tunnel stops just for the fun of it.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/ride-free-area/

A map of the Free tourist bus #99 http://metro.kingcounty.gov/cftemplates/show_map.cfm?BUS_ROUTE=099&DAY_NAV=WSU

Use the Metro Triplanner to find a bus route to the Zoo. I used Westlake Center as a start point since it's kind of the center of the downtown area. The system accepts popular destination names instead of addresses.

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl?resptype=U

If you're set on Bellevue, I'd CALL the car rental companies to ask about picking up at SeaTac with drop off in Seattle. Other options don't seem to pencil out financially. ie take a shuttle or towncar from SeaTac to Bellevue, rent and return the cars in Bellevue, then take a shuttle or towncar to the pier. The car rental is cheaper but the savings are eaten up by shuttle service. Price Seattle Shuttle, Shuttle Express. Stila Towncar has the contract at Seatac. Call to see if they can accomodate 7+ luggage. (206) 930-1966 Yellow Cab has the cab contract at Seatac. They have minivans but I doubt if 7+ luggage would fit.

(206) 622-6500

BTW, the new off site rental facility is now open for seatac. The cars aren't at the airport anymore. You're shuttled a few miles away to get the cars.

Lots of info, but hope it helps!

I second the stay downtown, as the extra hotel room needed will be paid for by not needing the rental car and parking. I love staying at Embassy Suites, and think we've even stayed at that one, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. For instance, the free evening reception is only good if you plan to be back at the hotel at that time every evening. Plus, downtown Seattle is a fun place to stay.

If you want to stay there, though, have you considered renting a minivan...I know it won't work the way you want, but it might work out better to have a vehicle that will take all of you to the hotel, all of you to the pier, take all of you to downtown where you could then separate and use public transport, all of you to the zoo, etc. $555 at the airport (dropoff at Marriott at pier 66 and they will either take you to pier 91 or you take a taxi) vs. $533 picking up at Sea-tac Marriott/drop-off pier 66. That's Hertz, and doesn't include any coupons or specials (their specials for July won't show up for a few weeks)...I didn't check any others...I just checked Hertz because I know where you can pick-up near the airport. I don't know how much luggage you'll have. We rented one last month, and although probably all your luggage wouldn't fit in the back, there was room for lots of stuff elsewhere in the car; wouldn't recommend it for cross-country touring with luggage, but just to get to the hotel and to the pier should work. If you think you might want to go this route, go to a car dealer and check out the car size vs. your luggage. I think 4 large suitcases would stack in the back, with room their for some additional small ones. We were hauling a wheelchair around in it so didn't put much else back there for ease of getting it in and out.

As mapleleaves said, shuttles will eat up any savings you might get from picking the car up in Bellevue.

Really like the idea of the Silver Cloud now, especially considering the complimentary shuttle. How exactly does it work at that hotel? Set schedule? Call and ask and they'll take you if it's available? Will they take us to the pier? If so, it's a no-brainer!

Good luck. When I'm on vacation I don't want to be stuck on a city bus. That doesn't even sound like fun. Splurge on the rental cars and then scrimp once you get back home.

Enjoy your trip.

Really like the idea of the Silver Cloud now, especially considering the complimentary shuttle. How exactly does it work at that hotel? Set schedule? Call and ask and they'll take you if it's available? Will they take us to the pier? If so, it's a no-brainer!

Call them to verify. My information is based on a few yrs history but I left the firm last yr so hotel policies may have changed.

Based on last year .... the Silver Cloud Stadium DOES provides a ride to the pier but they don't provide breakfast. So there's your trade off. Consider the cost of breakfasts for 3 days vs a $15 taxi. We used the Stadium a few times for clients who were sports fanatics and wanted to see football/baseball games. It's located by both stadiums. The Lake Union location is a much better location IMHO.

Again last yr's info .... the Lake Union shuttle ran from around 7am to 9pm. It might not be available at the exact moment you want to leave, but it only travels 3 miles so not too long a wait. And if you have a late night a taxi from anywhere in town will be $10-$15. The shuttle stops I knew of were Westlake Center, Pike Place Market, Space Needle. (They also have free parking so if you want to rent a car for a day or 2, like for your trip to the zoo instead of bussing).

Look at priceline to see if you can find a good deal downtown. You might find great savings. Our clients raved about the SC Lake Union so I have no hesitation in recommending it, but there are good deals around if you look.

Also try www.hotelcoupons.com

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Based on all your advice we moved our hotel to the Sheraton Four Points Downtown Seattle. No free shuttle like at the Silver Cloud, but looking at taxi fares an public transit, it looks like the savings is worth it! We were able to get a two bedroom suite for the price of a single room at the Silver Cloud, so saved quite a bit there!

Now we just need to figure out the best way to get from SEA to hotel. I am thinking of a private SUV service. Looks like Seattle's Best Towncar gets a lot of good reviews from people here.

Glad it worked out for you. Much easier than staying in Bellevue!

If it's the hotel at 6th and Roy, it's a nice place from what I've seen as I drove by. Relatively new. Just so you're aware ... it isn't really downtown, it's near the Space Needle at the bottom of Queen Anne hill. It's not within the free bus zone, but you're just a couple of blocks from the Seattle Center/Space Needle so you can take the monorail downtown to Westlake Center. You're also close to some grocery stores which will be nice for picking up snacks and such. Have a great trip!

Archived