**NEEDED DOCUMENTS TO cruise with children

My niece is leaving for a cruise on Carnival with her mom and 3 sons. I've cruised many times but not with younger children. Please let me know what they need to cruise. My niece and her mom have passports but the children she was told only need birth certificates. I sure that is not correct. She leaves in 6 weeks. BTW her husband is staying home (do the need something to cover that issue) .

Please give me your advice I am in Ny and she is in TX. Thank you.

My niece is leaving for a cruise on Carnival with her mom and 3 sons. I've cruised many times but not with younger children. Please let me know what they need to cruise. My niece and her mom have passports but the children she was told only need birth certificates. I sure that is not correct. She leaves in 6 weeks. BTW her husband is staying home (do the need something to cover that issue) .

If they are on a closed loop cruise they may cruise with a birth certificate and if the are 16 or older than they need a birth certificate and a government issued ID (of course if "something happens" they would not be able to fly without a passport). I believe there is a form on the CCL website that a non-sailing parent may sign showing that permission is given to take the children out of the country which would probably be prudent to complete, even if no one asks for it. (But with six weeks left she does have time to obtain passports for the kids if she wants to be sure all bases are covered.)

Here are the Carnival Websites...

Consent Form....http://www.*****/carnival/docs/minortravelconsentforms.pdf

Instructions:

http://www.*****/carnival/info.html

We cruised last year with our 3 children 12 year olds and 11 year old, and we had good photo copys of their birth certificate and a state issued ID. It worked great no problems. :)

Have a good time.

and get that letter by the other parent. the cruiseline may or may not ask for it but better to be prepared. I have a friend who was denied boarding (i have said this many times on the boards) because she did not have a letter signed by ex.

I never travel without a letter from my ex. I've only been asked for it once. Will not risk it. Married or divorced, if only one parent is travelling with a minor child you should definitely have it.

Photocopies of birth certificates are no good. They must be official, registered copies with seals, watermarks, or some other marker of authenticity.

The DHS regulations specify an "original or copy" of a birth certificate. It says absolutely nothing about watermarks, raised seals, or anything else.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/04/03/E8-6725/documents-required-for-travelers-departing-from-or-arriving-in-the-united-states-at-sea-and-land#h-111

The DHS regulations specify an "original or copy" of a birth certificate. It says absolutely nothing about watermarks, raised seals, or anything else.

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/04/03/E8-6725/documents-required-for-travelers-departing-from-or-arriving-in-the-united-states-at-sea-and-land#h-111

But there is some ambiguity in the language of "original or copy". Nobody (or very few) people have the "original" birth certificate. Everyone who goes to vital statistics or health departments get issued a "certified copy" of the original. Does "copy" mean certified copy or xerox copy? Lots of people have made it through and onto the ship with a xerox copy of their BC, but I personally wouldn't take a chance with it. I would be prepared with at least an official "certified copy".

Also I would make sure the letter from the parent is notarized to confirm the signature.

But there is some ambiguity in the language of "original or copy". Nobody (or very few) people have the "original" birth certificate. Everyone who goes to vital statistics or health departments get issued a "certified copy" of the original. Does "copy" mean certified copy or xerox copy? Lots of people have made it through and onto the ship with a xerox copy of their BC, but I personally wouldn't take a chance with it. I would be prepared with at least an official "certified copy".

Also I would make sure the letter from the parent is notarized to confirm the signature.

I don't disagree that the copy you get directly from the issuing authority (whatever you want to call it ;)) is the best thing to bring. But the government is well aware of the difference between "original", "certified copy" and "copy". The plain language of the regulations says "original or copy". Read it as you will.

(I've said it before but I'll say it again- given the choice between showing up at the pier with a copy or showing up at the pier with nothing I would choose copy every time.)

We will be getting a passport for our soon-to-be-adopted six year old foster son as he is mexican and we are not. I will also have copies of the adoption court paperwork just in case any eyebrows are raised.

FWIW - Passports are so easy, i couldn't imagine not having one...but then again, i've never traveled with a minor and this is my first experience.

My 5 yr old has a passport. On our cruise last Sept DH was not traveling with us, so I made sure I had the notarized statement from DH saying it was ok to take DS out of the country. We sailed out of Mobile and I had the statement with me at check in but was not asked for it. We had two ports- progreso and Cozumel- and I had the statement with me both times we got off, but wasn't asked for it at either place.

But coming back into the US, customs asked me for the letter! This was the one time I didn't have it with me, I had packed it in the suitcase, so I could have gotten to it if necessary if I dug thru our suitcase. The customs agent just asked DS if I was his mommy and if i was kidnapping him. :eek: UM, hello! We were coming back into the country, not leaving. Lol!

Archived