Top 5 things to do in Barbados - first time visitor

rgreenpc

My fiancée' and I are going to be in Barbados at the end of October on our honeymoon...

We would like to know the "not-to-miss" things on the island.

Where to shop, excursions you would suggest (active or non-active), any helpful tips.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

My fiancée' and I are going to be in Barbados at the end of October on our honeymoon...

Where to shop, excursions you would suggest (active or non-active), any helpful tips.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

I would suggest doing Silver Moon Catamaran. You will find tons of info and reviews on this board.

Are you staying on the island?

If so I'd suggest renting a car for a few days so you can really explore and have time to visit each place.

Welchmans Gully

Bathseaba

Atlantis submarine (presuming it's still there)

Harrisons Cave (if it's open)

The Garrison

There are also a few historical places.

We've only ever shopped in Bridgetown and mainly in the big store.

Do a snorkelling tour with the turtles! We booked through the ship, but the tour was with Adventureland. Open ocean (not too far off shore but not a pen) and they fed the turtles... they'd come right up to you, and you could touch them! These were the green sea turtles. There was a second snorkel stop over a shipwreck, and I saw an endangered Hawksbill turtle there, and a small nurse shark in addition to tons of fish.

If you are going to be there on a Wed, or have a group of 6 going, glorytours.com has a great Best of Barbados tour that seems to be the best bet to fit in as much as possible, I would have gone with them, but we were just 2 and on Barbados on a Saturday. That tour covers all the main attractions and goes snorkelling as well.

Barbados was my favorite of our 7 ports, and I want to go back soon!! enjoy!

I'd do the Best of Barbados tour with Glory Tours to hit all the great spots in 1 day.

1) Harrison's Cave

2) Wildlife Preserve (see and maybe play with Green monkeys)

3) Swim w/ Turtles

4) Snorkle in several spots

5) Glass bottom boat to see all the cool stuff/coral

6) Bathsheba

7) See where some of the stars have homes

www.glorytours.org

Definitely swim with the turtles! Never done catamaran with Silver Moon, but have with Tiami and the trip was excellent. Another fun thing to do in Barbados is take a tour of the rum distilleries. Mount Gay is near Bridgetown and from what I understand, does a great review of the history (if you're in to that) and of course, you get to sample. If you prefer the beach (like me), Malibu Rum had a decent tour, free samples, complimentary bar drink, and a nice beach...

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Silver Moon Catamaran day sail. Max 12 people. Snorkel with turtles. Intimate experience.

We are in port from 12pm - 10pm...

I was really bumed about not being able to do Silver Moon... but they set sail at 11 and we dont even arrive until 12....

Unless that is SHIP TIME... can anyone help?

I actually bit the bullet and called silver moon and they told me that with only 2 people they wouldn't hold the ship for us.

So now I am looking for other suggestions... I did book Tiami Sail and fish snorkle but I hear they pack them like sardines.

I actually bit the bullet and called silver moon and they told me that with only 2 people they wouldn't hold the ship for us.

So now I am looking for other suggestions... I did book Tiami Sail and fish snorkle but I hear they pack them like sardines.

I would check and see if you can recruit others from your roll call. If you can get 6-8 to join you I bet SilverMoon will adjust their schedule. I know they have done that in the past.

If you are having problems because you are docking late, you could try out Zeds Surfing Adventures, They have a 20 FT Bayliner that does private small groups, they are more flexible and can arrange their boat to leave to accommodate you, or you can book the boat to be a pricate cruise, its not to expensive. zedssurftravel.com

Beach Boy

We just came back from a 12 day Southern Caribbean Cruise and this was our favorite excursion. We had booked ours online with our cruiseline HAL and only afterwards learned about others comparing it to Silver Moon. It was fantastic-we were met at the dock by a full size charter size, clean, spacious AIR-CONDITIONED bus waited not more than 3-5 minutes & were then off for a short ride to the Tiami dock. Greated by ground crew who gave out generous cups of champagne or juice and hot appetizers. Next we we greeted by the staff & crew members of the Tiami-wonderful group. You would never have guessed that this was about the fifth month of doing this routine for them daily. They were so friendly and polite and couldn't do enough for you to make you day the best experience. Shoes off before boarding! Suggest finding a nice spot with a table for lunch in the shade & storing your gear under seats immediately. Few safety rules & instructions and we were off to sea! Open bar with about six different kinds of rum including flavored ones & lots of mixers, beer and soft drinks. They serve you then invite you to feel free to serve yourself. This was a catamaran about 70 feet long with lots of space to move around and the boat hold up to 100 pax but our excursion group only had about 40 people but I've talked with others that had a full ship & they still felt that there was enough room to move around. Getting a place in the shade is a plus if you don't want too much sun since you are on the water all day. There are plenty of areas to move to without moving you gear to sun yourself of get other views. Sails were raised once out on the open water & away we sailed for about 30-40 minutes. Gracious crew socialized to refresh drinks, answer questions & point out special sights Resort where Tiger Woods got married, other beaches of special interest). They dropped anchor near a private beach and lowered a fairly wide 3-4ft. step-like ladder and the water was aboiut 3 ft. deep so even those that didn't swim or snorkel could get to the beach. Some never got off the boat. Most people I'd say though snorkeled. We took our own gear though flotation devices were required by law you didn't have to inflate them and staying afloat is very easy in the calm Caribbean waters. We snorkeled and saw lots of color fish & coral. Then rinsed off with a fresh water hose once onboard and went back into the water to walk on the beach while the crew arranged our hot lunch. Food was served buffet style around the bar in the center of the ship. Entree included lightly breaded delicious fish (unknown name but local), tender bar-b-que chicken, a rice vegetable dish, cabbage/carrot salad, green salad, cheesy pasta dish, fresh fruits, dinner rolls & butter and probably more that I'm forgetting. They continued to go around and offer beverages. After a little more swimming time & some photo ops on the beach with beautiful flowers against white lattice fencing, we were off sailing again leisurely to our next snorkeling destination. This spot was even better than the first but anchored in a deepth of about 25 feet. More plant life and a ship reck so ther were plenty of fish to see. We had already used our own gear at three previous ports in our vacation but it did seem that the crew was very helpful to beginners or anyone else who needed help & they stayed close by anyone who neede it in the water. Dessert was set up after this stop and was not very good-dry cakes but most people refreshed their drinks & relaxed. After a leisurely sail back to the marina we lingered with wonderful memories of this fantastic excursion and felt that it was a great value as well as a wonderful way to experience Barbados!

Squeakydust,

The cost $89pp was booked online and was offered directly from our cruiseline. We thought this was a great value for a full day of adventure and the wonderful service. Do not know if you can book it directly with them. Have fun with what ever you decide!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard! My husband and I will be on the same cruise as you are! I checked with Thriller Ocean tours and they have a snorkel with the turtles at 2pm, it is 3 1/2 hours long! $45.00 each, 2 stops to snorkel last stop a beach. I figure that gives us plenty of time when we get back to check out something else, perhaps the boatyard? We have never been there before either, so I understand your frustration! Congrats on your upsoming marriage. Maybe we'll see you on the boat!

Lou

Gosh, with your somewhat late departure time ... you could also go to THE BOATYARD! The cruise staff from our last ship said that it was especially FUN at night!

This is a review (posted on this board) which covers the day. Hope to be able to go there at night at some point in life ...........

(or just CLICK here) Review: The Boatyard "OnOurOwn"

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Try a glass bottom boat cruise.We went with Just Breezing Watersports.I booked everthing on the internet and we were picked up from the cruise ship pier.This is a 2 hour cruise so its just the right amount of time if your with young childrenThis is also a more personalised service so you don't get treated like cattle like you do on the big cats.This was probably the highlight of our cruise and we got to swim with the Turtles as well.

I agree.The glass bottom boat and snorkeling is definately worth doing.I would however be careful who to go with.We used Just Breezing last year and had a great time.Smaller groups and a more personalised service make this less like the larger cats who sometimes put on 50 people per cruise.We arranged everthing on the internet and were collected from the port by a charming young lady Sandy, one of the owners.(but don't tell me wife I said so)

Archived