Rome on your own arrival time ?/ Sistine chapel?

028snowball

We have booked to do Rome on our own tour and would like to book to see the Vatican museum/ Sistine chapel which I was going to prebook online I have to select a visiting time does anyone know where it drops you off at? And at what time ?

Also I'm I right in thinking that the Vatican museums are actually behind st Peter square? And does the same apply no shoulder showing etc.

I have been to Rome before and although it says 10 hours for the excursion I'm assuming a lot of this is travel time am I right how long do you actually have in Rome approx? Will we have time to get to the colloseum too? We are fast walkers and hope to walk via Trevino fountain and Spanish steps on the way I google mapped it and it says approx 40 min walking time between the 2

All help much appreciated

Hi 028SB

55 views and no help..thats now 56. although I have been to that part of the world it's just we haven't been to the chapel, I'm sure someone will come along soon..maybe Ekco <<<< font of all knowledge. will hep you.

RR

When I get to speak to Danni ,which will prob be thurs as they are at sea tomorrow. I will ask her for you. I knw she visited Rome a few weeks back so will check timings etc for you.

We have been twice but we went on the train so can't help you really.....we went to the Sistine chapel but just queued on the day (half an hour) for our ticket..... I did just wear a blouse over strappy top and cropped trousers but I don't recall seeing any notices to cover up.

We did Colosseum, then walked to Trevi Fountain via Forum and Vitor Emmanuel statue, then to Spanish Steps ...this on our first visit then we spent the second visit just doing St Peters and Vatican museum. There is also a Hop on Hop Off bus which I think goes from St Peters you will need to hunt around for the info re this.

I would definitely book tickets in advance if you can. We went on the Thomson trip to the Vatican and Sistine Chapel and got there around 9.30 and the queues were already a mile long and around a 40 minute wait, that will only get worse as the day goes on. We were taken straight to the front of the queue. The entrance is not on St Peters Square though but I'm not sure where it is in the geography as we exited the tour in the square then walked across to the Vatican. So you walk in a route from the main entrance through the museums and exit after the Sistine Chapel near St Peters Square. If you book on the Vatican website then you pick the tickets up from the entrance so you can jump the queue. We saw quite a lot of the museums with a guide but by no means all of them and it took all morning. I wouldn't try and fit in too much, most people say that you can do one or the other but it's difficult to do the Vatican and the Ancient sites in the same day. Yes, you do have to cover up but we saw a lot of women with their shoulders uncovered, including the guide, but I don't think I would push it too much. The Sistine Chapel is quite dark and you are not allowed to take photos, there are bossy security guards in there. Pretty crowded when we went in mid-July.

We were done with the Vatican and museums by lunchtime and we went with the excursion bus to a restaurant for lunch and then did a tour of the ancient sites without getting off the bus. Depending on the traffic the journey is around one and a half hours or a bit more.:)

Jan

Hi 028SB

I'm sure someone will come along soon..maybe Ekco <<<< font of all knowledge. will hep you.

RR

Everyone's been in the garden getting some sun today.

Nice of you to bow at my alter and thank you.:D:D Very formal these days Mr Rebel Rouser.

Jan

I am definitely going to book but need an approx time that you get dropped off before I can do this :( great help from everyone as usual maybe I will book the tour for say 1pm and if we get dropped of say 10am head to the colloseum first as its the furthest away what do yours think?

I am definitely going to book but need an approx time that you get dropped off before I can do this :( great help from everyone as usual maybe I will book the tour for say 1pm and if we get dropped of say 10am head to the colloseum first as its the furthest away what do yours think?

Personally, and I stress that, I would do the tour first. If you run late you can adjust the diy part. As you look at the Vatican across the square just behind you is the San Pietro station where you can get the train to the Termini, which I believe is the best one for the ancient sites. It depends where the bus is picking you up though, I would do the bit that is costing you the most first. I recommend doing a search of the Thomson forum for better first hand advice, I have seen some good tips on there. As we only did the Vatican we feel we have a lot left to see next time. A bit like London, you can't see everything in one day. :)

Jan

Everyone's been in the garden getting some sun today.

Well we didn't have any sun today so we weren't ...perhaps we'll get some tomorrow!!! :)

Looks good for you tomorrow Jenny.:)

Jan

Hope this link helps http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelblogs/654/24561/20+tips+on+Visiting+the+Vatican+Museums?destId=359518

It's hard to estimate a time for booking because of the traffic. One time we went we were there quickly, another it took over two hours because of an accident. I would say do the Vatican first and then see what time there is left to do anything else. Once we got dropped just outside the square, another it was opposite Castel Sant'Angelo.

Have a great time.

Archived