Common courtesy?

I'm an ex smoker (I now use an e-cig) and quite honestly I can think of way more annoying balcony neighbor habits than smoking......we've had the "loud talkers" - always on their balcony talking REALLY loud, the "boom box people" - felt the need to play loud music on their balcony, the "hey neighbors" - felt it was totally acceptable to peek around and say Hi, the "take the crying baby out on the balcony" people.... Try to spend some quiet, book reading time with any of that going on :eek: Yeah, I'll take a smoker ANY DAY!

Anyone who feels so strongly against the chance that they may be bothered by a smoking neighbor...you REALLY need to either not book a balcony or better yet, book a balcony on Celebrity. Problem solved.

I can agree with this. Noise pollution would be more annoying to me than the smoke. And I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. Pipe smoke and some cigars are a different story. They can have a fairly nice aroma ( for me ).

I can't stand the smell of cigar/cigarette smoke. Everyones tolerance level for smoke is different. I detest even the slightest amount. If I ever get a balcony and have someone else fouling up the nice ocean breeze I think I'll bust out some skunk scent used for hunting and release a little of my own obnoxious fumes.

There was a discussion on this board about that a couple of years ago. Spray that ON someone and it's called assault. If they have an allergic reaction to it, it could be considered attempted murder. Think carefully.

Having read this thread from start to finish (all 9 pages of it!) I really do think that some people need to get over themselves. Smoking is permitted on balconies, end of, so deal with it. Complain to Carnival about their policies if you must but stop whining about people doing something that Carnival says they can!

I was a smoker for 40 years and quit 12 months ago. I certainly would not expect someone not to smoke on their balcony but to be honest I really can't see it bothering me. In fact I quite enjoy a bit of passive every now and again ;).

Thanks for being diplomatic, however, I like my solution, thanks. Why should I go out of my way to accommodate the lifestyles of others when it infringes on mine? BTW, I like to cruise out of Galveston. I don't think there are any "non-smoking" cruise lines there. In addition, I like Carnival. I'm working to get platinum status so I'll be doing Carnival for awhile.

I have never had a balcony so I've never had to bring my stash of skunk scent. ;) I mearly was stating that I'd like to do it if I had encountered the situation of a "my smoke don't stink" type of individual.

Additionally, I don't mind if people smoke - as long as they don't exhale :D

We have always had balconies and I have never been bothered by smokers. I think some people just like to whine and have something to complain about.

There was a discussion on this board about that a couple of years ago. Spray that ON someone and it's called assault. If they have an allergic reaction to it, it could be considered attempted murder. Think carefully.

LOL....no need to worry! Sounds like the typical brave guy behind the safety of his computer screen...:D

I know, but bullies and braggarts and ash-holes irritate me. ;)

FIXED!!!!!

To said people who have dastardly plans to erradicate smokers by means of noxious odorous assaults: you better understand two things. One, deprived nicotine addicts are cranky. You may get more of a response than you bargained for. Second, you will run into people like me who will be completely unmoved by your unwarrented anger and just ignore your stupidity entirely. In either scenario, you have managed to pick a losing fight and you will STILL be smelling smoke. Lose/lose.

To the polite non-smokers: God bless you. If you will just politely tell me that the smoke bothers you, ill be happy to work out a "schedule" with you for mutual balcony enjoyment. Just please understand that I paid extra for the privilege of having somewhere convenient to smoke. Please don't ask me to give it up entirely.

Thanks for being diplomatic, however, I like my solution, thanks. Why should I go out of my way to accommodate the lifestyles of others when it infringes on mine? BTW, I like to cruise out of Galveston. I don't think there are any "non-smoking" cruise lines there. In addition, I like Carnival. I'm working to get platinum status so I'll be doing Carnival for awhile.

I have never had a balcony so I've never had to bring my stash of skunk scent. ;) I mearly was stating that I'd like to do it if I had encountered the situation of a "my smoke don't stink" type of individual.

And, same line of thought, why should a smoker go out of their way when Carnival has given them the right to smoke on their balcony? A little give and take from BOTH parties go a long way. But you don't see it that way. You only want what makes you happy without caring what the other person would want. No one is infringing on your lifestyle. You choose to book a balcony on a line that allows smoking on the balcony. Seems you have no problem infringing on others lifestyles though by trying to tell someone they can't do what they are allowed to do only because you're in the area. If you're going to shoot for Platinum and you ever book a balcony, you need to understand that everyone has the same rights on board as long as the rules are followed. And smokers smoking on their balcony are following the rules. Your skunk water is not (and could get you put off ship as well).

If you don't like smoking on balconies, send your complaints to Carnival. Don't ruin the smoker's day for doing something Carnival said they could do. Eventually Carnival may make the smokers go to the whale tail to smoke. Your issue is with Carnival, not the unlucky smoker who is next to you.

This exactly.

If you smoke on your balcony and have never had a problem, you will if your next balcony cabin is next to mine, and I or my family member has to inhale 2nd hand smoke from one of your lung cancer sticks, and you refuse to stop killing us.

Allowed or not, I don't appreciate anyone putting the health of me or my family at risk. We have a right to breathe smoke-free air, and I will not allow anyone to infringe on that.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Aren't you the one putting your familys health at risk by booking a balcony and taking a chance of having smokers next to you? Just saying. You might want to try Princess as they have no smoking on the balconys.

I don't get all the rudeness. Whether it be smoking, chair hogs, lines at the buffet, whatever... Just be nice and have a little respect for each other and things will be fine.

If you approach someone about something and you are rude, the response will always be rude. If you courteously approach someone you will get much better results.

Mom used to say "you'll catch more flys with honey."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to self:

Do not sail out of Galveston so as not to get locked up for throwing someone overboard:cool:

I don't get all the rudeness. Whether it be smoking, chair hogs, lines at the buffet, whatever... Just be nice and have a little respect for each other and things will be fine.

If you approach someone about something and you are rude, the response will always be rude. If you courteously approach someone you will get much better results.

Mom used to say "you'll catch more flys with honey."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom said "you can`t reason with unreasonable people"

Sheesh, if the ship is moving I can barely even light a cigarette out on the balcony due to the wind. I must have been lucky on my past cruises, because I rarely noticed anyone else out on the surrounding balconies. Last cruise my neighbors to the right side were out on the balcony once in awhile, but I think they were smoking sometimes, because I could hear a lighter, though I do not remember being able to smell their cigarette smoke. I had a very nice neighbor that was out on his balcony above us on some mornings taking pictures when we were in port. I was worried that he might be able to smell my cigarette smoke, because the ship was in port, and I did ask him if I was bothering him, and he said I was not. Still, I did not smoke if I noticed him outside. I would not want my smoke to bother anyone else, and I think most other smokers would feel the same way. Although I would have a bit of a problem with balcony neighbors outside fake coughing, and making comments like another person posted about thier experience. I try to very mindful of others anywhere I might be smoking. The worst smell to me is not cigarette smoke, but cheap perfume, cologne or those awful body sprays! GAG! I was stuck next to a woman that smelled like she bathed in cheap body spray in the MDR, and to solve that problem we now ask for a table for 4 if we have YTD. If cigarette smoke bothered me like cheap perfume does I would either book an Inside, OV or Spa balcony cabins. I would have no problem not smoking on my balcony if I thought anyone else could smell it, and do and will always make sure I am not bothering my neighbors.

The non smokers who do nothing but whine...stop attacking smokers...we keep your cost of the cruise down...you should be thanking us!!

Y'know, not all of us non-smokers are "whining". Most of us are fairly sympathetic to your addiction.

So, yeah, I'll thank you.... I'll thank you to keep your condescending attitude to yourself and to remind you that some non-smokers have health conditions that second hand smoke can cause some serious problems for them.

Common courtesy goes both ways.

For some reason I never get to see my neighbors, so I can't bug them. I asked the question how much time do you spend on your balcony in a day, 90% less then 1/1/2 hrs a day. So not to many people are bothered by smoke on the balcony because you really are not on it much. But people like to push it as much as they can, :rolleyes:

I dont think people on balconies that are forward of you on the ship have any worries when the ship is moving. It is only us Aft type people that catch all the smoke. And Skunk Stink aint going to do any good fighting that upwind breeze as we sail along.

My personal favorite is the lady who wrote somewhere that she kept a small electric fan & would pull it out & direct the smoke back at the smoker. When they complained, she informed them she was just returning to them what they had created as she wasnt interested in it.

20 mph + wind and you smell smoke. You have a good sniffer. :D We don't even get to smell our own smoke in that kind of wind.

It goes out and up and away.

It doesn't go up, it goes sideways. I know because it's blowing in my face. AND no, I'm not one of those chronic complainers about cigarette smokers. I just go inside f it gets to strong. We already have enough rules in our world.

I've never had a balcony before but I do have one booked for next month. I would think that there would be a pretty good breeze on the balconies. Doesn't that kinda mitigate this a little?

Yes it mitigates it alot, along with the dividers, but some people will get bent out of shape at the wiff of smoke. I pay for a balcony so I can smoke on it...and I will. If you don't like it go inside...I'll be done shortly!

Non-smoker here. We generally have a balcony or suite and never had a problem. It's been too windy out there for smoke to be an issue... and I do spend a lot of time outside. We'll be under the pizzaria this trip... I anticipate more problems with that smell (hunger pangs) than with smoke. Happy cruising.

Archived