The cheap seats-er-cabins!

maxandmolly

So I see lots of talk about balconies & such and I'm sure they're fabulous. But I'm a solo cruiser on a shoestring, so those are out for me. I'm booked on the Freedom for 11/25. I have a 1A, alllllllll the way forward (1207), starboard. How much am I going to feel for motion? My last cruise I had a dead center, midship cabin on the Fascination and didn't feel anything, other than one night with very choppy seas. How much different is it going to be this time? FWIW, my roommate last time swore she could feel every little sway & had a hard time sleeping. I, meanwhile, slept like the dead.

So I see lots of talk about balconies & such and I'm sure they're fabulous. But I'm a solo cruiser on a shoestring, so those are out for me. I'm booked on the Freedom for 11/25. I have a 1A, alllllllll the way forward (1207), starboard. How much am I going to feel for motion? My last cruise I had a dead center, midship cabin on the Fascination and didn't feel anything, other than one night with very choppy seas. How much different is it going to be this time? FWIW, my roommate last time swore she could feel every little sway & had a hard time sleeping. I, meanwhile, slept like the dead.

What could bother you more than the motion (because I think it's about the same everywhere) is the sound of the waves hitting the hull. My BIL didn't like it at all, so you might bring earplugs or something for white noise (we leave the TV on all night) if you think you might be bothered by something like that.

The waves if they are big, sound like the ship crashed they are so loud when they hit.

Also the stablizers woke me up about 5:30 or earlier on port days.

Motion?? Who can say if you will have rough seas or not .. of course if its rough you feel it more, but at least you are on a low deck.

Im in a 1A on Magic, 2nd cabin from the front, bottom deck .. in SEPTEMBER, so I would say I have more to worry about, chances are. who knows though.

What could bother you more than the motion (because I think it's about the same everywhere) is the sound of the waves hitting the hull. My BIL didn't like it at all, so you might bring earplugs or something for white noise (we leave the TV on all night) if you think you might be bothered by something like that.

That makes sense. It turns out it's a porthole cabin, although that far down and forward I doubt I'll much more than those waves! I despise ear plugs, so it'll have to be tv for white noise if I need it.

Thanks!

We take the pt version of your cabin when we can get it and we are happy with it. Might wake up early when comng into port but generally not that much more motion than in the center of the ship.

Have a great cruise.

The waves if they are big, sound like the ship crashed they are so loud when they hit.

Also the stablizers woke me up about 5:30 or earlier on port days.

Motion?? Who can say if you will have rough seas or not .. of course if its rough you feel it more, but at least you are on a low deck.

Im in a 1A on Magic, 2nd cabin from the front, bottom deck .. in SEPTEMBER, so I would say I have more to worry about, chances are. who knows though.

That's roughly where mine is on the Freedom. Now I'm worried about the noise! Although on port days that's probably good. Left to my own devices I'd probably sleep right through our port days. And since we're only in Jamaica til 2:30, that's a good thing.

That's roughly where mine is on the Freedom. Now I'm worried about the noise! Although on port days that's probably good. Left to my own devices I'd probably sleep right through our port days. And since we're only in Jamaica til 2:30, that's a good thing.

I too have a port hole 1A, so at least if I leave the curtains open that will wake me up, but a few mornings in port when my bed was near the port holes, I woke up staring at another ship.. once was Disney Magic downtown Cozumel (and I was expecting to dock at the Carnival pier!!).

I too have a port hole 1A, so at least if I leave the curtains open that will wake me up, but a few mornings in port when my bed was near the port holes, I woke up staring at another ship.. once was Disney Magic downtown Cozumel (and I was expecting to dock at the Carnival pier!!).

Well I guess that will remind me to either close the curtains or wear pj's!

We were in an Oceanview on the Riveria deck of the Freedom all the way forward and didn't find the motion to be that bad (not any different than walking elsewhere around the ship). What was bad was the creaking sounds that made the ship sound like it was going to fall apart...

I LOVED the low deck- super convenient. Our last cruise we were on 8, and it was awful. We did nothing but climb upstairs...

I have to agree with the others above, and say that the only problem you're likely to have, (and it may not be a problem for you at all) is the noise of the waves hitting the hull, when underway. It bothered the lovely Mrs. Jones, (Vita) but I slept right through it! ;) The only other concern, is the anchor being dropped when you arrive at ports where you'll be "tendering in". That noise will sometimes raise the dead! :eek: I doubt that you'll notice all that much more motion, so just go aboard with a positive, informed attitude, and you'll have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"

I try to CHOOSE the most forward cabins because I LOVE rocking and rolling (very lucky to never get seasick). I went on a freighter across the north atlantic in winter (had to sign a waiver saying I realized it would be very rough. We lost 4 containers, I sailed solo, and had to TIE myself into my berth. Heaven! I know I am an exception, but you ARE likely to feel the motion more in the front of the bow.:p

Archived