Choosing a room(on Explorer)

We're going to be booking a cruise on Explorer of the Sea within the next few days... My husband insists that we don't need a fancy room, so we're going with just an interior room. My question is(and sorry if this is silly, I've never been on a cruise before, but I'm trying to make sure I do my research!)... Does the room matter if we are doing an interior room? Are there any particular rooms that are quieter than others or in "better" locations? There's so many choices that I have no idea what I'm looking at. I also feel like the white empty space on floor plans is misleading -- it looks like it's just a thick wall, but it probably isn't(that's my guess!). I wish I could tell you a few numbers of staterooms we are looking at, but honestly, it's between anything and everything interior.

Honestly, we aren't as concerned about location to the elevator, as we both are 20-somethings in good shape and don't mind stairs or walking or anything. My personal biggest priority is quiet(as quiet as possible, at least!), and my husband can sleep anywhere, so he doesn't care :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

We're going to be booking a cruise on Explorer of the Sea within the next few days... My husband insists that we don't need a fancy room, so we're going with just an interior room. My question is(and sorry if this is silly, I've never been on a cruise before, but I'm trying to make sure I do my research!)... Does the room matter if we are doing an interior room? Are there any particular rooms that are quieter than others or in "better" locations? There's so many choices that I have no idea what I'm looking at. I also feel like the white empty space on floor plans is misleading -- it looks like it's just a thick wall, but it probably isn't(that's my guess!). I wish I could tell you a few numbers of staterooms we are looking at, but honestly, it's between anything and everything interior.

Honestly, we aren't as concerned about location to the elevator, as we both are 20-somethings in good shape and don't mind stairs or walking or anything. My personal biggest priority is quiet(as quiet as possible, at least!), and my husband can sleep anywhere, so he doesn't care :)

First, congrats on your first cruise. I love the Explorer.

Okay, as far as the empty white spaces...it is usually a supply closet...or something of that sort.

As far as quiet goes...look at deck plans and make sure there are no restaurants, clubs, theaters, etc...above or below you.

Absolute peace cannot be guaranteed. You may have very noisy neighbors...slamming doors..screaming kids up and down the hallway..etc. Some people (light sleepers) bring ear plugs.

We have NEVER had a problem with noise no matter what part of the ship we book. I think the main thing is, you don't want to be where you are hearing music until 2 in the morning...Good luck. I am sure you will pick the right cabin..:o

From experience, inside staterooms are usually booked for kids who are traveling in a large group w/ their families, for example, their parents have the outside oceanview/balcony room right across the hall. My cousin and I did a inside stateroom on a Carnival cruise, and we "baby sat" the parents' two 19 year old daughters :D ahhh what good kids, didn't cry or cause trouble haha! So it's usually that, and most of the time, the parents have their doors opened and are yelling from inside their rooms across the hall at their kids...Doesn't matter to me, inside, outside, i'm hardly ever in the room anyways!

On Explorer, we had interior rooms 6135 and 6133. I thought they were in a wonderful location. Very quiet and very convenient. Since there are only a few cabins in that hallway, there is hardly any foot traffic. Also, you are close to the centrum which overlooks the front of the promenade - it's a great spot for viewing the activities on the Promenade or listening to what's going on in the Schooner bar, and it's very close to the Promenade Cafe where you can get a quick beverage/snack. These are quad connecting rooms - you would want a double room that's non-connecting, so a few doors down from our cabins would be appropriate (I wouldnt go all the way down the hallway toward the very front of the ship because it *could* be a bit rocky if you are prone to motion sickness. Cabins in the same hallway on deck 7 would also be in a great location.

We're leaving on Explorer this morning, and have booked balcony cabins in the exact same area, but on deck 7.

On Explorer, we had interior rooms 6135 and 6133. I thought they were in a wonderful location. Very quiet and very convenient. Since there are only a few cabins in that hallway, there is hardly any foot traffic. Also, you are close to the centrum which overlooks the front of the promenade - it's a great spot for viewing the activities on the Promenade or listening to what's going on in the Schooner bar, and it's very close to the Promenade Cafe where you can get a quick beverage/snack. These are quad connecting rooms - you would want a double room that's non-connecting, so a few doors down from our cabins would be appropriate (I wouldnt go all the way down the hallway toward the very front of the ship because it *could* be a bit rocky if you are prone to motion sickness. Cabins in the same hallway on deck 7 would also be in a great location.

We're leaving on Explorer this morning, and have booked balcony cabins in the exact same area, but on deck 7.

VERY JEALOUS.....Have a great time:o

Just looked at your itinerary....ONE OF MY FAVORITES

Make sure to check the pricing on other categories. Sometimes Explorer has weird pricing strategies.

I have had an interior on Ex and it was fine, but I like to be able to open the outside door for fresh air. I like decks 9 or 10 by the aft elevators for convenience to pools and dining.

Make sure to check the pricing on other categories. Sometimes Explorer has weird pricing strategies.

I have had an interior on Ex and it was fine, but I like to be able to open the outside door for fresh air. I like decks 9 or 10 by the aft elevators for convenience to pools and dining.

Yes, i'll agree, very weird, we originally had a Large Oceanview Stateroom up until a week or two ago, the prices on balconies were crazy! NOW, we have a balcony stateroom, and got $160 credited back to us!

Yes, i'll agree, very weird, we originally had a Large Oceanview Stateroom up until a week or two ago, the prices on balconies were crazy! NOW, we have a balcony stateroom, and got $160 credited back to us!

I booked 2 JS when they were $1099pp awhile ago on a Bermuda 5 night. Now even balconies are more. I only booked it because it was so cheap and I'm not sure I even want to go, lol. There are still a lot of suites available (OS, GS and JS, even a family royal suite. I may just cancel, wait til after final, and see what happens since I'm not set on going).

In my experience, Ex does not post their best prices when bookings initially open. They wait to see what sells, then put certain categories on crazy sales for seniors or residents, etc. It's just weird.

OP that is another option: wait until after final and see what's available. Often there are some really good prices on a few different categories. I usually see D2s and Es discounted. Triples and quads seem to go quickly, but if you are a double you may want to take a gamble.

Keep checking prices and see if there is a lot left in your category. If you google 'book your cruise online' you will find a site that lets you view lots of cabins at once, in a clear fashion, unlike Royal. You will be able to see if there are 4 or 40 cabins left.

I noticed you are looking at Jan 6 2013 Ex. Some things I have read are that you may not get into Cococay and Nassau weather can be iffy. You may want to go out of Florida. Also insides and balconies are only about $120 pp difference in price right now. Make sure you put in your residency, and if you are an emt, military, etc.

Look at the deck plans. Decide where you think you'll spend most of your daytime hours. Pick a deck close to that area. Midship near those central stairs and elevators is a huge bonus! Even tho walking isn't an issue, being close to the elevators/stairs is a big timesaver! Once you see how LOOOOOOOONG those hallways are, you'll understand! Running back and forth to your room down those hallways is a huge waste of your time!

For the hell of it, I just checked the room availability for the Explorer on 8/16, All staterooms higher then a balcony cat. room are SOLD OUT! So, someone has the Royal Suite on the cruise i'm going on, would it be improper to bring a bottle of Andrea ($2 bottle) and invite myself in for some tea and crumpets? :p

OP that is another option: wait until after final and see what's available. Often there are some really good prices on a few different categories. I usually see D2s and Es discounted. Triples and quads seem to go quickly, but if you are a double you may want to take a gamble.

Keep checking prices and see if there is a lot left in your category. If you google 'book your cruise online' you will find a site that lets you view lots of cabins at once, in a clear fashion, unlike Royal. You will be able to see if there are 4 or 40 cabins left.

I noticed you are looking at Jan 6 2013 Ex. Some things I have read are that you may not get into Cococay and Nassau weather can be iffy. You may want to go out of Florida. Also insides and balconies are only about $120 pp difference in price right now. Make sure you put in your residency, and if you are an emt, military, etc.

This is true. We were on the New Year's cruise 2012 and we couldn't dock at CocoCay. We did two days (with an overnight) in Nassau. The second day in Nassau was very cold and windy...in fact, the weather was better (warmer) in New York that day.

OP - did you look at Ex 1/13/13 9 nighter? There are excellent prices, and the itinerary is MUCH better.

I wouldn't wait to book....the prices are pretty low now. If it drops before final payment, you can get the price adjustment. And if the difference between an inside and a balcony isn't much, it is worth it. EX in January is more of a "indoors" cruise (on our cruise, the outdoor decks were closed some of the days because of the wind and the spray from the ocean making the decks slippery), and there aren't a lot of places indoors where you can see the sea, so you'll appreciate having the balcony view and the ability to crack the door open to get fresh air.

Unfortunately, like I said, I'm a student, so my schedule is very limited. Leaving on 1/13 is not really possible, because my classes start 1/22.

Originally, we had planned on leaving out of Florida, but the price difference is incredibly significant when you factor in airfare. Airfare will probably be around $300 per person round trip, which is a significant difference for us. Adding $600 just to get there was something we were really trying to avoid! Now you got me kind of nervous about this cruise though, so I may have to do more research :(

Not sure I can sell the husband on a balcony stateroom though unless it were literally no price different. He insists we won't spend much time in there so it doesn't matter -- he'd rather save the money.

My GF and I were in the same spot a few weeks ago. We are also in our mid 20's and don't have a ton to spend on a cruise.

I have been on 2 crises before and had both an interior and Oceanview room. The interior did not bother me because we were really only ever in the room to sleep. Noise has never been an issue.

Funny we have almost the same story as you guys. We wanted a vacation, and my GF has never been on a cruise so we decided to go on one. We also were originality going to leave from Florida but like you decided to leave from NJ on the explorer (we are from MA).

See as we had a budget on the advice on many on here we opted for an Interior Promenade room. These rooms are interior room with a window overlooking the deck 5 promenade. They aren't so cave like because thy have the window and people seem to really enjoy these rooms. So it seemed like a great compromise.

What date are you planning on booking for?

We're going to be booking a cruise on Explorer of the Sea within the next few days... My husband insists that we don't need a fancy room, so we're going with just an interior room.

Since when does a wife listen to her husband?:eek:

Just book a Junior Suite with a balcony and be done with it.;)

As you can tell from our signature, we have been on the explorer many times.

We always have had a promenade on deck 6 mid ship for the following reasons

Equal distance to fore and aft elevators ( the walk does not bother us, work off some of the over eating).

Great for watching people and parades, Never had a noise problem.

1 flight down to Promenade for sales, shops or cafe for a quick cup of coffee.

The following is information gathered from others and personal observations-

Do NOT book over pub rooms ?575, ?577. ?579 some can hears music from the pub into the night.

Do NOT book over the Champaign Bar or Customer services , when we sailed last year, there was

a LOUD latin band playing on DECK 4 Aquarium loung and the music traveled up the open stairwells

late into the night. someone in our Meet and mingle group said it was terrible, trouble getting to sleep.

The higher up you are the closer to the window you have to get to see the promenade (Sharper angle to look down).

If you book toward the front it will be a long walk every time to the MDR and Windjammer.

Deck 6 is great as it is a few 1-3 deck down to the MDR, no need to wait for an elevator.

Our first cabin was 6283 and we have always booked it or directly across it (see pub warning above)

past and future sailings. We like this location because it is center (fore-aft) center (top to bottom)

where supposedly you have the least amount of rocking and rolling.

Hopefully this will help you choose.

Jeff

My GF and I were in the same spot a few weeks ago. We are also in our mid 20's and don't have a ton to spend on a cruise.

I have been on 2 crises before and had both an interior and Oceanview room. The interior did not bother me because we were really only ever in the room to sleep. Noise has never been an issue.

Funny we have almost the same story as you guys. We wanted a vacation, and my GF has never been on a cruise so we decided to go on one. We also were originality going to leave from Florida but like you decided to leave from NJ on the explorer (we are from MA).

See as we had a budget on the advice on many on here we opted for an Interior Promenade room. These rooms are interior room with a window overlooking the deck 5 promenade. They aren't so cave like because thy have the window and people seem to really enjoy these rooms. So it seemed like a great compromise.

What date are you planning on booking for?

Thanks for the comment! It makes me feel better to hear of others in similar situations(especially someone who understands having a strict budget!) ;) Originally we were looking at the 1/6 cruise to the Bahamas, but some of the comments here have scared me, so I have scrambled up a few other options leaving from Florida(after promptly convincing my husband that it would be worth the money, and would have much cooler ports of call -- he was easily swayed by the latter!). I think that if there was an Explorer cruise to the Caribbean, I'd be much more okay with it... But the Caribbean Explorer cruise in January would conflict with the beginning of my semester!

As you can tell from our signature, we have been on the explorer many times.

We always have had a promenade on deck 6 mid ship for the following reasons

Equal distance to fore and aft elevators ( the walk does not bother us, work off some of the over eating).

Great for watching people and parades, Never had a noise problem.

1 flight down to Promenade for sales, shops or cafe for a quick cup of coffee.

The following is information gathered from others and personal observations-

Do NOT book over pub rooms ?575, ?577. ?579 some can hears music from the pub into the night.

Do NOT book over the Champaign Bar or Customer services , when we sailed last year, there was

a LOUD latin band playing on DECK 4 Aquarium loung and the music traveled up the open stairwells

late into the night. someone in our Meet and mingle group said it was terrible, trouble getting to sleep.

The higher up you are the closer to the window you have to get to see the promenade (Sharper angle to look down).

If you book toward the front it will be a long walk every time to the MDR and Windjammer.

Deck 6 is great as it is a few 1-3 deck down to the MDR, no need to wait for an elevator.

Our first cabin was 6283 and we have always booked it or directly across it (see pub warning above)

past and future sailings. We like this location because it is center (fore-aft) center (top to bottom)

where supposedly you have the least amount of rocking and rolling.

Hopefully this will help you choose.

Jeff

Thanks for the advice! It looks like we are going to end up on a different ship in the end, but I am assuming that similar advice will apply to all of the ships(like to make sure you aren't underneath a bar and whatnot). This is also one of several recommendations for a promenade stateroom, so I will definitely keep that in mind if the price isn't so different! Having a window would be nice, even if it doesn't face towards the sea :)

Archived