Medronic Card

This is really an airline question. The government has recently been saying terrorists will soon be trying to implant explosives into people and animals and put them on public aircraft. I wondered if this will cause my sister a problem with body scanners in airports. She has a spinal stimulator implant for pain management, and carries a Medronic card for identification.

Does anyone here have a similar situation, and has it caused you any problems in the airports? I know carrying my grandmothers ashes in an urn for burial in another state caused me umpteen problems with TSA, even though I carried letters from the funeral director, crematory, and cemetery for identification. The TSA insisted on opening the package anyway. And this was way before 9/11.

Shouldn't be an issue given that she has documentation . Buy you always have to be prepared for the fact that nothing seems to be consistent from airport to airport when it comes to the TSA. Just make certain you allow for extra time going through security as they may want to manually scan and that process will take longer.

I have three artificial joints. I no longer carry the letters from my physician and only carry the cards identifying the implants for medical purposes as the TSA inspectors have never wanted to see them. In fact they tell me not to present them. I am very used to the wand screening and pat down. I can't say I like it but I am used to it. We plan extra time as it takes lots of wanding for me to get through. If you are going outside of the USA you may find that you will have a very long wait if you want a pat down by a female agent.

My husband has a baclofen pump by Medtronic (sounds like the same thing you are describing). We have travelled by plane and ship quite a bit since h got it, and although it occasionally prompts questions and a hand-scan, it's never been a problem. He does carry the card in his wallet. I dont think he's ever had to show it.

I wouldn't expect she'd have any problems.

Archived