Travelscoot Lithium-ion Battery

clyde3

I just bought the lithium-ion battery for my Travelscoot. One of the airlines we will be flying on for our next cruise is Qantas and they require prior approval to take a lithium battery on the plane. I got the letter of approval that they want me to carry and they also want me to carry the “Material Safety Data Sheet” or the “Verification of Compliance” letter for the battery to show the gate agents. I have those printed and ready to go but was wondering if anyone else has had to show paperwork for their batteries on any airline?

I have never flown Qantas. That said, I have declared my batteries and do not check them but carry them into the cabin. I put them in the canvas bag that came from travelscoot. This process seems to make the lines satisfied. I have flown with them on American, British Airways, Iberia, Malev and some line based in Belgium.

• 2 weeks later...

I just flew Alaska Air. On the outbound leg, from Las Vegas, they didn't even blink, and even allowed me to gate check the battery (which I removed, put in the case, and hooked on the seat).

On the way back the gate agent read the manual, called a supervisor with questions, filled out pages of forms, put a special lengthy tag on the battery bag and told me I would have to carry it on. She first wanted me to box the battery, but I showed her the battery bag, and eventually she was satisfied.

I really don't mind, because it allows me to take the scooter. BUT I then need help. Of course I really do anyway, because I push a POC, which I need, and carry a bag with all my cords/electric transformers. And then there is the carry on luggage. My sister pushed that, and I put the battery bag on the handle of the POC carrier.

:::Such is life::: But at least I am still travelling.

I just bought the lithium-ion battery for my Travelscoot. One of the airlines we will be flying on for our next cruise is Qantas and they require prior approval to take a lithium battery on the plane. I got the letter of approval that they want me to carry and they also want me to carry the “Material Safety Data Sheet” or the “Verification of Compliance” letter for the battery to show the gate agents. I have those printed and ready to go but was wondering if anyone else has had to show paperwork for their batteries on any airline?

Can you tell me the difference between the lithium-ion battery and the batteries that came with my scooter-"two 12-volt, deep-cycle batteries that are sealed and maintenance free."? Also, do the airlines require you to have a "Verification of Compliance" letter?

The SLA batteries weigh 20 pounds and the lithium-ion battery only weighs 4 and a half pounds and has longer range. As far as the "Verification of Compliance" letter that's what I was asking. I guess it's better to have it and not need it.

• 3 weeks later...

The newer Travelscoot lithium ion batteries have a sticker showing compliance with UN Standard 38.3 for Lithium ion batteries.

In the USA the battery is required to be carried in the cabin (best in the travel bag) and is not allowed in the checked baggage unless permanently attached to the scooter which is impossible with a Travelscoot. Should be the same internationally now that ICAO has adopted the new rules.

Quantas is being overly cautious. No US/Canadian or UK carrier has ever asked me for a compliance letter.

Your 20lbs of non spillable batteries would not require any letters as long as they are marked non-spillable or SLA. Internationally now, however, they are required to be taken and packaged seperately by the airline. That always worries me that they will get lost. Take the lithium ion battery and carry it on with you. Then you will know where it is at all times.

Archived