Just got off phone with CCL answers on Loyalty program

We have our first NCL cruise in Feb and if we like it will sure not be the loyal Carnival cruiser we have been up to now. Booking 9 months before gets us to platinum faster than we could get to the new diamond on Carnival

Please do a review on NCL when you get back. I have been curious about trying NCL myself. I primarily do RCCL and of course, Carnival.

Headed over to Carnival to voice my opinion...keep seeing everyone talking about the platinum being grandfathered....well I hate to inform Carnival, but us not so fanatical cruisers, that love to cruise,( but don't make it our sole type of vacation)...and are GOLD now are just a little ticked about being demoted to red.....absolutely find this unacceptable....if you are going to grandfather some past cruisers, then you should be grandfathering all past cruisers....because going on more cruises or spending more money to go on so called cruises, doesn't make that cruiser's monies any more important to your bottom line than mine. Just because we CHOOSE not to make cruising a lifetime goal in vacations, doesn't mean that when we do cruise, we aren't being LOYAL to Carnival. For this cruiser....4 cruises all with Carnival....kind of like loyality when buying a car....don't buy one that often, but when we do, it is always the same Make, and the same dealership....and they never seem to want to kick me back to new customer status and take away my extras for coming back!!!!!!

Not to sound negative, but for those of us that thought we would be hitting number 25 by the end of 2014 are still only going to have 145 days at sea. To get to 200 days is ging to be a very long and expensive ride. We hope our life still does not change, but you never know.

We are able to do at least 3 cruise's a year, but not 7 days each time. Lets think how long it will take for someone that only does 1 cruise a year. This will take years and has nothing to do with loyalty.

I am now hoping that i will be alive to get my once in a lifetime free cruise.

The people on this board are not representative of the vast majority of people that cruise. While I feel they would be upset to have something they already had like the past guest party taken away from them, they don't cruise primarily with the idea of getting to 10 cruises to hit platinum. So, there may be a small increase in bookings from people that have 5-8 cruises under their belt who make a concerted effort to hit 10, the short cruises won't be packed with people looking for platinum or diamond status. It will still be as it always was... people with limited time or money who want a cruise vacation.

Dave: Thanks for that info about port count comparison - - I wasn't aware (as I've not researched). The last time I was in New Orleans was just a very few weeks prior to Katrina, and I've wanted to go back. I could combine a land/sea adventure. Best of both worlds. Again, thanks!! :)

The NCL Star will go to Roatan (Coxen Hole); Belize; Costa Maya and Cozumel. NCL only keeps the ship in New Orleans from late Oct to April. Then in the Fall of 2013, the NCL Jewel will replace the Star.

Dave

Check out post #636 - on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1640378&page=32

They say it is published on GOCCL....

Guess we will have to wait to see if that's really what happens! :o

There's always a loophole!

The information provided on GOCCL reads: "we will roll out a new Past Guest Recognition Program. Even though we do not have details to share at this time, current Platinum and Milestone guests will be grandfathered into the new corresponding levels."

So you had no shorter cruises to mix in?? All the people I know who did some longer cruises also had some shorter ones, and still were ahead.

I have read about a few cases like yours who did not benefit.

I do think Carnival should do some sort of conversion .. yes.

Carnival has a lot fewer longer cruises too than RCL, so less likely that it would hurt folks .. but there is probably always someone who doesnt like how it is done.

Personally, since Im already platinum on Carnival long since .. a 18 month grace period helps me not one iota.

No short ones here. 3 7 day cruises, 1 8 day cruise, and an 8 day booked. Living in the NE short cruises are limited without flying and I am not a fan of flying.

If VIFP is correct, Diamond gets all the Platinum deals which looks like it didn't change just called different names, Diamond gets, unlimited laundry, invitation from the Capt, looks like a Capts party, 1 time upgrade, they move you up a deck, 3 or 4th sail free, that will never happen with us, 1 time donation to st jude ?????, 1 time comp for 2 at the steakhouse, VIFP luggage tags, wo hoo, dedicated toll free sales and service, So after you take that first Diamond cruise you get, unlimited laundry, we get that now, cap party we get that now, and luggage tags. After that cruise and forever more you get luggage tags. So in the end we get luggage tags for being Diamond the rest is from Platinum. I am so exceited just don't know what to do. So if your not Diamond get out there and book those cruises so you can get free VIFP Club diamond luggage tags. Wounder if they will hand out a Diamond screw with the luggage tags ??It is what it is,

OK, where to start. Maybe at the top.

I think everyone is interpreting this their own way, but I don't see Diamond as Milestone. Several others have said that Carnival assures them that Milestone is different and will remain intact. So what I see done is that Carnival has just added another level above Platinum. That's it. They have added a few benefits with it, and I think you are wrong about losing any benefits.

So, I see the benefits being pretty much the same with Diamond added.

Now let's look at the diamond benefits. You say "Cap party we get that now". But we don't know that. The benefit SO FAR says an invitation from the Captain. You are assuming it is just the same Capt's party that that past guests get, but it could very well be a separate party/dinner/gathering that could be very nice and just for Diamond members. The point is, we don't know if it is the same cap party, and the way it is worded, it is my interpretation that it is very different.

You say, "unlimited laundry, we get that now". Well, the reality is that you don't get that now as a part of the Platinum benefits. There have been a few threads on this previously, and the actual benefit is 1 bag per Platinum member. The fact that your (and Golfadj's) Cabin Steward always did all the laundry you requested notwithstanding, the benefit did not include unlimited laundry. Many others have told that they were limited to just 1 bag per Platinum. So the Diamond benefit, IN WRITING, of unlimited laundry is, in fact, an increased benefit.

While the free 3rd and 4th person may not affect you, it certainly affects a large number of people. Add to that, the free Steakhouse for 2 (which could get you 2 separate meals if your significant other also becomes a Diamond member), and the luggage tags, you see that there are a few nice benefits for reaching Diamond. Are they OMG!!! MUST HAVE THEM!!! I WILL DIE IF I DON'T HAVE DIAMOND!!! benefits? Nope. But I also don't think they are, THESE ARE CRAP!!! THEY STOLE BENEFITS FROM ME!!! CARNIVAL YOU SUCK!!! benefits either. They are nice little something for nothings....

I am always amused when people talk about the "Carnival cheerleaders". What those people don't admit is that there are just as many Doomsday Naysayers out there who are just the opposite (and equally annoying to me). They think that everything Carnival does is a plot to give them the shaft. For me, the reality (as with most of life) is somewhere in between the fringes.

Will I quit sailing Carnival because of the changes in the Loyalty program? Of course not. I would still cruise Carnival if there were ZERO rewards. I like what I get for the price (plus my options are limited where I live). Will there be others who will quit Carnival because of the change? Quite possibly. But the bottom line, FOR ME, is that the benefits are very nice "little" perks for my continued business with Carnival and I happily accept them as such

Bob

Carnival knows what they are doing , dangle the carrot in front of people that are 2 or 3 cruises away so they book em quick . Looks like if you are platinum and don't have the days you stay platinum, same for Diamond lots are diamond but don't have the days so they will stay diamond. As far as letting people book lots of cruises to get to a level, thats alot of money to get OB 15 min before somebody else, or get 3 bags of laundry done free. For Diamond after the first cruise you get unlimited free laundry , meet the Capt party and free luggage tags forever. Maybe they will move you up a deck at the same Cat to make you feel good. Lesson learned don't cruise for perks . just do your vacation like yo always did, if the price is right do it. Don't get sucked into the hype to be platinum or diamond the perks are just not there to do it .

Not to sound negative, but for those of us that thought we would be hitting number 25 by the end of 2014 are still only going to have 145 days at sea. To get to 200 days is ging to be a very long and expensive ride. We hope our life still does not change, but you never know.

Again, I think you are comparing apples to oranges. From what others have said (and I guess I believe), Milestone will not change. You will still get your 25% OBC with your 25th cruise, 50% with your 50th cruise, etc. The 200 days ONLY refers to the added Diamond benfits. Diamond benefits were never a part of Milestone anyway.

Now this is all speculation, of course, but several people seem to have gotten confirmation from Carnival. Until I read otherwise, I will still keep shooting for number 25 to be Milestone, and eventually working towards the "additional" benefit of Diamond.

Bob

Looks like if you are platinum and don't have the days you stay platinum, same for Diamond lots are diamond but don't have the days so they will stay diamond.

Who is Diamond without the days? There isn't a Diamond now. The only way someone could be Diamond is if that person already has 200 days - unless they put the Milestone folks in that category. No one really knows right now.

Milestone is a completely different program and that's why it's not listed under the new benefits. Other than the 25%, 50%, etc. OBC for the specific cruises there are no perks for Milestone and everything is the same as Platinum. On your 99th cruise you get the same things as on cruise number 10.

I think Diamond is a new tier that has no current equivalent and I do not think the current Platinum will be grandfathered into the Diamond level. Current Milestone cruisers will be put in the Platinum or Diamond level based on their number of cruise days sailed. I think that's the only fair way.

The Diamond level doesn't really have any great perks anyway. Everyone from Red on up gets a free drink at the Punchliner brunch, not the comedy club at night. Platinum and Diamond both lost the free slot or blackjack tourney entries. Diamond gets an invitation from the captain each cruise for something. The other new perks are only one time for the rest of forever and not once per cruise. Basically, after the few one time perks and not counting the captain's invite, the perks are the same as Platinum - again.

I'm still reserving judgement until the real and official announcement is made and still hoping it will be better considering all of the hype leading up to this. We should know the real scoop in June so I guess we just have to wait a few more weeks.

I had no cruises shorter than 7 days on RCCL and had more cruises 10 days and over and only got credit for each cruise being 7 days.

I am Milestone on Carnival but that does not mean I have to like the new loyalty program. I never said I liked it and I don't. I will still be Carnival Diamond no matter how they do their conversion as I have enough cruises and days no matter which way they count them but I still hope they do not give people only 7 days that have taken the longer cruises like RCCL did. If they do that there will be plenty of people hurt by the conversion.

I have no idea how RCCL did it. But I had six cruises on them.

2-12 night cruises

3-7 night cruises

1-4 night cruise

Total of 49 nights at sea.

Somehow, I am a diamond member. However they figured the new program out I was happy to where I fell.

HAL changed theirs not too long ago. From what I can tell all the folks that are 4 star mariners (as they call the top group) get some nice perks. Half priced dinners in the specialty restaurants, Mariners Lunches, and again for the 4 star folks, a free lunch with the Captain and Hotel Manager in the Pinnacle Specialty restaurant.

Also the Suite guests have their own premium coffee, expresso area, with canapes, sweet rolls etc in the lounge. Breakfast in the Pinnacle.

Apparently you get some credit for your spending. Big spenders get more then no spenders. I am probably missing some stuff too. But I know some HAL folks watch this site, perhaps one will weigh in.

It seems like Carnival should have went in that direction.

They have those restaurants unused all day.

Hugh in Dallas

I have to say that I do like their program! Last time on HAL I got bonus nights for the suite and also for spending $$. I wish CCL looked at what i spend on a cruise :D and also added extra days!!!!

OK, where to start. Maybe at the top.

I think everyone is interpreting this their own way, but I don't see Diamond as Milestone. Several others have said that Carnival assures them that Milestone is different and will remain intact. So what I see done is that Carnival has just added another level above Platinum. That's it. They have added a few benefits with it, and I think you are wrong about losing any benefits.

So, I see the benefits being pretty much the same with Diamond added.

Now let's look at the diamond benefits. You say "Cap party we get that now". But we don't know that. The benefit SO FAR says an invitation from the Captain. You are assuming it is just the same Capt's party that that past guests get, but it could very well be a separate party/dinner/gathering that could be very nice and just for Diamond members. The point is, we don't know if it is the same cap party, and the way it is worded, it is my interpretation that it is very different.

You say, "unlimited laundry, we get that now". Well, the reality is that you don't get that now as a part of the Platinum benefits. There have been a few threads on this previously, and the actual benefit is 1 bag per Platinum member. The fact that your (and Golfadj's) Cabin Steward always did all the laundry you requested notwithstanding, the benefit did not include unlimited laundry. Many others have told that they were limited to just 1 bag per Platinum. So the Diamond benefit, IN WRITING, of unlimited laundry is, in fact, an increased benefit.

While the free 3rd and 4th person may not affect you, it certainly affects a large number of people. Add to that, the free Steakhouse for 2 (which could get you 2 separate meals if your significant other also becomes a Diamond member), and the luggage tags, you see that there are a few nice benefits for reaching Diamond. Are they OMG!!! MUST HAVE THEM!!! I WILL DIE IF I DON'T HAVE DIAMOND!!! benefits? Nope. But I also don't think they are, THESE ARE CRAP!!! THEY STOLE BENEFITS FROM ME!!! CARNIVAL YOU SUCK!!! benefits either. They are nice little something for nothings....

I am always amused when people talk about the "Carnival cheerleaders". What those people don't admit is that there are just as many Doomsday Naysayers out there who are just the opposite (and equally annoying to me). They think that everything Carnival does is a plot to give them the shaft. For me, the reality (as with most of life) is somewhere in between the fringes.

Will I quit sailing Carnival because of the changes in the Loyalty program? Of course not. I would still cruise Carnival if there were ZERO rewards. I like what I get for the price (plus my options are limited where I live). Will there be others who will quit Carnival because of the change? Quite possibly. But the bottom line, FOR ME, is that the benefits are very nice "little" perks for my continued business with Carnival and I happily accept them as such

Bob

where is it written that the laundry perk is once per trip?

This is from the CCL website:

Platinum Member

All Gold member benefits

Carnival Platinum benefits* including:

A special Carnival logo item

Guaranteed dining times and priority steakhouse reservations

Complimentary $20 entry fee into blackjack or slots tournament**

Spa Carnival priority reservations

Carnival's "Chocolate Delight" — four chocolate-dipped strawberries with assorted chocolate nuggets — delivered to cabin*** one evening

Complimentary wash and fold laundry service

Priority tender boarding where available

Priority embarkation and debarkation

Complimentary arcade tokens valued at $5 for Platinum guests under 18 years of age

Maybe you are interpreting it the way you want to support your argument.

Yes there have been post on this before about once per cruise but that was on a couple of cruises where they had so many Platinum pax they announced once for that trip.

Bill

Bill,

Did you see the "new" loyalty program? The laundry limits are specifically spelled out here:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/7267640914_377e7cb7f7_b.jpg

Yes Linda I saw them and see it is changed to 3 times per week for Plat and up.

I was asking xbatt8 a question pertaining to this.

I believe he was debating with PA Dutchman.

In xbatt8's post to PA Dutchman I assumed he was talking about the Plat and Milestone perks before the leaked changes.

Bill

Yes Linda I saw them and see it is changed to 3 times per week for Plat and up.

I was asking xbatt8 a question pertaining to this.

I believe he was debating with PA Dutchman.

In xbatt8's post to PA Dutchman I assumed he was talking about the Plat and Diamond perks before the leaked changes.

Bill

On our 4 Platinum cruises we were never limited on the laundry. We sent our laundry out 3-4 times on a cruise

Let me get this straight!, I have 3 cruises under my belt (2) 7 days, and (1) 3 day. with a 7 day booked to alaska in august. I am Gold now but under the new plan i get to start over at red?

That would be apparently correct according to the leaked information.

Wow that is really cool! maybe the alaska cruise will be our last with this cruise line. one would think if your gold now, you would remain gold. and all the new cruisers would start at red. just makes sense to me but oh well it is what it is.:)

Archived