Best Caribbean ports w/ a 1 y/o?

koolaid71

I'm debating taking a cruise with our new son. He'll be between 15-21 months when we sail. I've pored over the posts about food, what to pack, etc.

However, I'm curious if anyone has given any thoughts as to the best ports of call to aim for? It seems to me he'll do best if its a port where we can walk off the boat directly onto a dock, and proceed quickly to a beach and shops. The lengthy tenders and/or ports without easy beach access seem like a poorer choice.

Does anyone have a nice side by side comparison of the Caribbean ports looking at those sorts of considerations?

St. Maarten sounds like a good one for you. While all of the ship excursions send you to Orient Beach, there is another beach right by where the ships dock where ~$25 will get you use of a two chairs and an umbrella for the day plus a few drinks. Plenty of places to get food/drinks right along the beach too.

I went on a cruise when my daughter was that age. We went to 4 ports -- Belize which was not very appealing to my daughter. It wasn't a great walking city.

She was fascinated with Cozumel, although we had a walk from the dock to town. We had the stroller and she was content enough enjoying the scenery. Cozumel had a lot of activity. But I recall the nicer beaches were a bit away. We never made it.

In the Grand Cayman, we walked right into the city and again spent our day walking around. There was a close beach though, but we never went.

Roatan was the best, because it was a beautiful beach day and my daughter loved the beach. it was easy, clean and there was space for me to let her roam.

My daughter was fine on the tender, but it is a bit scary getting on and off. On a subsequent cruse, we returned to ship on a tender and the water was fairly rough. It was scary jumping on the ship. I was very thankful I didn't have my daughter to worry about. I think you are spot on looking at the ports.

Short of the private beach, I can't say any of these 3 ports were anything special for a toddler. Luckily my daughter was easily entertained at that age, so I never had a problem. Hope others will have some more ideas.

Choose a cruise that visits a private island. It's a free beach day, and even though some are tendered, it's really very easy. EM

Excellent recommendation. I second finding a cruise with a nice private island.

Keith

I'm so glad you asked this question. Our grandaughter will be an early 2 year-old when we cruise. We were wondering whether Eastern or Western Caribbean would be better. We're also traveling with our 8 (or 9, depending on which month we cruise) year-old grandson. Anyone have any ideas on what would be a good choice for everyone?

The closer to 2 your child is, the less "stuff" you'll need to bring! By then, she should be eating table food, so you won't have to worry about bringing special foods!

Tendering isn't really that much of a hassle...most kids are kinda fasinated by the "boat ride" to shore.

After you book, get a guidebook on the ports you'll visit...it will detail all there is...for adults and kids alike! Then, you can decide where to go and what to do once on shore!

Tendering isn't really that much of a hassle...most kids are kinda fasinated by the "boat ride" to shore.

I was petrified about tendering before our cruise with our 15 month old but it really is a breeze! We also took a tour with a catamaran that also was okay but it wasn't one of those booze cruise party catamarans it was a sightseeing tour. I had worried about his safety before we went but that catamaran was probably even safer than the tender boats! Don't sweat this before going (don't sweat tendering). I did W. Carib. before my son and wasn't a huge fan I didn't love Grand Cayman... we took our son to Mexico on our last cruise.

It seems to me he'll do best if its a port where we can walk off the boat directly onto a dock, and proceed quickly to a beach and shops.

Castaway Cay, Disney Cruise Line's private island. This is probably the closest and easiest you can get from ship to beach.

0109zz_1392dr_49954_orig-1-640x426.jpg

Here is the map. The ship docks.

castawaycaylinkmap4.jpg

Leaving the ship, it is a 5 minutes walk to the tram stop.

IMG_0929-Copy.jpg

Here is a picture taken from the tram stop back to the ship.

IMG_0932.jpg

Then it is a 5-10 minutes tram ride to the various beach areas.

We went with my daughter when she was 10 months old. Nassua was too much walking for her. We tendered to a private island and that was the easiest. I also dont like going places that you have to take a bus ride to get to the beach. No carseats. We're going in a few months again to Port Canaveral, Nassua and Freeport. DD will be almost 3 and DS will be 18 months. They arent the ports i would choose but i figure they will like anything. They will just be super excited to get on a huge ship i'm sure!

What do you want to do/see? I am sure that your child will be happy with "anything." My son was happy just being on the big boat!

Hi TheCalicoCat, I may not get it right, but I think the OP was looking for advice for Caribbean cruise ports that will be less logistically challenged for a family with a 1.5 year-old toddler, when they have to deal with things like transportation to beach/shop and back to the ship, car seat, stroller, diaper change, etc.

I think many posters here have already shared some good advice.

Archived