Louis Vuitton in Venice

Wonders10

Hi everyone,

My cruise is less than 3 weeks away! I'm thinking of feeding my purse obsession with a visit to the LV store in Venice (I say Venice because we will be doing our own thing and my tour map shows one near St. Mark's Square). Has anyone been to this store...would you say the prices are different (cheaper, more expensive, same) than the LV stores in the US? Buying a purse this expensive is not the norm for me but if it's at all cheaper than in the US, I'd definitely consider since I don't trust eBay, etc for buying authentic bags.

I hear ya sista! Ahh..memories of buying my Rolex in Geneva for $1100 when the nyc retail price was $2500..back in 1984!

Retails for A lot more today ofcouse....but I digress....

As for your question..I personally wouldn 't buy a cup of coffee in St. Marks.....

I am a Coach fan..but if I were looking for an Lv ....I would look for a factory outlet store before i would buy one in europe...and dont forget that since they are so expensive....you may have to declare it at customs...just like i did for my watch...no way was i taking chances......

Hi everyone,

My cruise is less than 3 weeks away! I'm thinking of feeding my purse obsession with a visit to the LV store in Venice (I say Venice because we will be doing our own thing and my tour map shows one near St. Mark's Square). Has anyone been to this store...would you say the prices are different (cheaper, more expensive, same) than the LV stores in the US? Buying a purse this expensive is not the norm for me but if it's at all cheaper than in the US, I'd definitely consider since I don't trust eBay, etc for buying authentic bags.

I have been to the store,but LV is nor my favorite...I love Bottega which under no circumstance can I afford.That being said...I would check out the LV in a store near you for US pricing,then when you arrive at said store check out what the pricing is in euro as that will give you some idea.The really only "bargain" would be to buy a bag that is NOT sold in the US,and just sold in Europe.I think Venice tends to be more $$$ than other cities in Italy,but that is my take. We were staying in Venice and I was able to check out some stores.If you do buy a bag you may have to declare it upon returning to the US if you spend more than allotted amount to bring back in,and also aske about the VAT if you buy. They will explain better than I can.Good luck and have fun shopping:D

If you do buy in Venice...use a card with a very high limit:D and do use one..like Capital One...that will not charge you a conversion fee...that could add loads of money to the cost of the purse..

you could of course just pay in Euro...but you need to be sure to have a lot with you.

Buy at home...wait for a discount or find a Factory Store.

I'm thinking of feeding my purse obsession with a visit to the LV store in Venice (I say Venice because we will be doing our own thing and my tour map shows one near St. Mark's Square). Has anyone been to this store...would you say the prices are different (cheaper, more expensive, same) than the LV stores in the US?

IME, unless the Euro takes a massive dive, it will not be cheaper than the US; it will be more expensive.

And you are right to not purchase such an item on eBay.

Check out prices online before going to Europe. I did the same with Gucci a few years ago and the prices in Venice were not great deal. I also did this recently on my way to France with a Longchamp bag. I priced the bag online and then found it at a large department store in France for about 40% off. And as noted below, don't forget to add in the cost of duty if you go over and also get your VAT back....

If you do buy in Venice...use a card with a very high limit:D and do use one..like Capital One...that will not charge you a conversion fee...that could add loads of money to the cost of the purse..

you could of course just pay in Euro...but you need to be sure to have a lot with you.

Buy at home...wait for a discount or find a Factory Store.

CCs generally charge a conversion fee (i.e. they make money on the currency conversion rate) PLUS a 'foreign transaction fee' of, usually, 2.5-3% of the transaction size. It is the second fee that Capital One (to their credit) does not charge. Rest assured that they most definitely charge the first (the currency conversion mark-up).;)

CCs generally charge a conversion fee (i.e. they make money on the currency conversion rate) PLUS a 'foreign transaction fee' of, usually, 2.5-3% of the transaction size. It is the second fee that Capital One (to their credit) does not charge. Rest assured that they most definitely charge the first (the currency conversion mark-up).;)

whatever the first fee is that Cap 1 charges..they are very reasonable. I just bought tix to the Sagrada Familia and was expecting to pay a lot more on my Credit card than I was charged. Cap 1 is very close to actual rates when they convert...my transaction was a good $15 lower than expected.

the pre and post hotels are going right on that card!!:)

Where do you get your information that Capital One marks up the conversion rate? Don't you think Capital One would have been called out by now by other financial institutions if that were the case?

To those who say Capital One incorporates the fee into their exchange rate, that’s just not true. Capital One has made a business decision to absorb the exchange fees imposed by VISA and MC. I find the exchange rates Capital One charges to be within thousandths of a percent of the official exchange rates listed online. As exchange rates are constantly changing, I attribute any difference to intra-day fluctuations.

Lew

Given what I've researched you will not find the bags to be cheaper in Italy because of the dollar to Euro conversion and possible customs tax. However what you will find are different bags available that you can't find in the U.S. It's up to you what you deem worth it. :)

How are you flying? If you are flying through Heathrow you may want to check prices at the airport. My husband bought me a Chanel purse in Los Angeles 3 years ago prior to a trip. It was cheaper in Harrods and they told us to purchase it at Heathrow as we did not have to pay tax. We saved a couple of hundred dollars on the same purse and returned the one we had purchased in Los Angeles. You do need to know your prices so check it out before you leave.

I am a Coach fan..but if I were looking for an Lv ....I would look for a factory outlet store before i would buy one in europe...and dont forget that since they are so expensive....you may have to declare it at customs...just like i did for my watch...no way was i taking chances......

I find LV price in Barcelona is lower than Rome or Venice.

Hi everyone,

I will be cruising in Oct from Venice and also thinking of buying me an LV but in Milan. However everyone says it's more expensive in Europe so will see. I already know what I want and already priced it from the LV website. I have a feeling I will be buying it from the US store anyway... don't even consider buying this pricey purse from eBay, it will be an authentic copy :D.

Archived