Victoria

Hi all, We will be in Victoria on June 7th from 9am-6pm. What is the best way to get around and see everything?

Would you recommend the Hop-on-hop-off bus?

Are there any other things (outside of victoria) to do which are a MUST even if it means renting a car?

Thanks

An awful lot of people take in the world class Butchart Gardens while in Victoria.

A HOHO is very much an option but Victoria is a fairly small city (about 350,000 pop) and the downtown is very compact so it is quite walkable.

Given the time you are in the city you may care to visit the Royal British Columbia Museum.

http://www.butchartgardens.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

We will be in Victoria on October 1 on the Sapphire Princess. We will only be there for 5 hours--7 AM -2 PM. We went to Butchart Gardens last time. Will it give us enough time to do justice to the HOHO? Does anyone know how I could get a walking tour map or have any suggestions? When I researched this last year, there was a map of the waterfront and other walkable areas, but now I can't find it. I really need some suggestions. Thanks.

Sandy

Putterdude: You are awsome! I know everyone says that, but you really are to give of so much of your time to help us. The link gave us everything we need to fill in our day. I especially like the explanations of the stops (not just the stop #). Thanks.

Sandy

Hi all, We will be in Victoria on June 7th from 9am-6pm. What is the best way to get around and see everything?

Are there any other things (outside of victoria) to do which are a MUST even if it means renting a car?

Thanks

It really depends what you want to see. Generally the Butchart Gardens are #1 on most visitors priority list, and the HOHOs tend to stay close to downtown.

Downtown itself is very walkable; without need of a HOHO.

What kind of things are you interested in? Personally my list would include (in no specific order).

• Royal BC Museum
  • Whale watching excursion
  • Pub Tour (there are a lot of excellent microbreweries in Victoria)
  • Fort Rodd Hill
  • Hatley Castle
  • Dominion Astrophysical Observatory
  • Lt Gov's Mansion (gardens)
  • Beacon Hill Park

Thanks

9:00 AM to 6:00 PM give you a lot of time.

I would visit Butchart Gardens in the morning. It is beautiful and well worth the visit. Afterwards either have lunch back on the ship or in the town of Victoria. The town is a twenty minute walk from the cruise ship terminal or you can take a shuttle. It is a very charming town and easily walkable.

Keith

Putterdude: You are awsome! I know everyone says that, but you really are to give of so much of your time to help us. The link gave us everything we need to fill in our day. I especially like the explanations of the stops (not just the stop #). Thanks.

Sandy

Thank you, I hope you enjoy your visit to Victoria.

U guys R really helpful.

I am cruising on the Diamond Princess from Vancouver to Whittier, using cruise air, flying on 9/11. I will be staying with an Airbnb Family in Victoria:

Burnside Road West, Victoria. B.C., V8Z 1N4

I arrive YVR Airport at Noon.

What is the best (safest & easiest) way to get there?

What is the least expensive way to get there?

I leave on Saturday. What is the best way to go from my Host's home to the Cruise Port?

Thank you for your help.

U guys R really helpful.

I am cruising on the Diamond Princess from Vancouver to Whittier, using cruise air, flying on 9/11. I will be staying with an Airbnb Family in Victoria:

I leave on Saturday. What is the best way to go from my Host's home to the Cruise Port?

Thank you for your help.

Victoria and Vancouver are some distance apart, with Victoria located on an Island. It will take 4-5 hours to travel between each.

The easiest would be to fly into YYJ/Victoria instead of Vancouver to start with; but assuming you can't do that due to price or your ticket is already purchased.

The least expensive would be:

from YVR take the Canada Line Skytrain to Bridgeport, and transfer to a #620 bus to Tsawwassen Ferry terminal ($8.75).

Walk on the ferry to Swartz Bay ($15.50)

#70 bus toward Victoria, getting off at either Saanich Rd and transferring to a #26 crosstown toward Burnside; or get off at Douglas & Burnside and get on a #22 Burnside bus. ($2.50).

Looking at the postal code, that puts the B&B near Spectrum High School, so while the #22 route would be longer, it's fewer changes, and should drop you right in front.

To get to the cruise ship on day of sailing, reverse the procedure, but at Bridgeport, transfer to a Canada Line Skytrain to Waterfront Station (instead of the airport). From there it's a 3 block walk to Canada Place.

If you need any more directions, just let me know; I lived in Victoria for a great many years, and Spectrum High School was actually the home field for my soccer team.

Don't forget the mini-ferries that ply the Inner Harbour. You can hop on one in the Harbour right across from the Empress Hotel and zip around the Harbour. There is a wonderful place at Fisherman's Wharf (one of the stops for the Ferries) for fish and chips, called Barb's. If you like fish and chips, do not miss it! There are at least three little harbor seals off the dock right in front of Barb's. You can buy fish to feed them at the shop next to Barb's.

OMG - I did not realize the distance was so great. I am going to Seattle next week for a convention & then a FAM to Vancouver & Whistler. I should have chosen the FAM to Vancouver & Victoria. Too late to change - only 20 agents can go.

Now I will call to price the air to YYJ so I can then get those directions from you.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

U guys R really helpful.

Thank you for your help.

Pacific Coach Lines runs a bus from Victoria right to the cruise ship terminal once a day on cruise days. It will pick up along the route as long as you phone and make reservations to do so. Enjoy

Pacific Coach Lines runs a bus from Victoria right to the cruise ship terminal once a day on cruise days. It will pick up along the route as long as you phone and make reservations to do so. Enjoy

There are a couple of more advantages to Pacific Coach Lines and they include, a reserved comfortable coach seat and you don't handle your luggage from the moment you get on the bus until when you get off.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Thanks again, P.Dude and Victoria.

It sounds like getting to the cruise terminal will be less work than getting to Victoria from YVR A/P.

I did call Princess this morning and, after being incorrectly transferred back into the queue & waiting for 20 minutes, I learned that I cannot get a flight from LAX to YYJ. Maybe the light-plane company that has a regular scheduled run from YVR to YYJ ?

Thanks again, P.Dude and Victoria.

It sounds like getting to the cruise terminal will be less work than getting to Victoria from YVR A/P.

I did call Princess this morning and, after being incorrectly transferred back into the queue & waiting for 20 minutes, I learned that I cannot get a flight from LAX to YYJ. Maybe the light-plane company that has a regular scheduled run from YVR to YYJ ?

UA fly to YYJ via SFO; and AS/Alaska fly to YYJ via SEA. You should be able to get a flight there.

A couple of people recommended Pacific Coach Lines, but for your B&B it would mean riding a bus into downtown Victoria before heading back, or having no luggage, because you can't remove luggage enroute. For that reason, the city bus would be preferable. Also PCL would still involve a transfer to a taxi ($10+), whereas the city bus would include a free transfer. With these facts I'm sure you can make your own mind up

Thank you, scottbee.

I have Princess Flex-Air and have not yet made the Final Payment and, therefore, may be able to cancel it if United or Alaska are a comparable rate.

"riding a bus into downtown Victoria before heading back, or having no luggage, because you can't remove luggage enroute. For that reason, the city bus would be preferable. Also PCL would still involve a transfer to a taxi ($10+), whereas the city bus would include a free transfer."

I don't really understand all this and, of course, I will have 1 large bag, roll-aboard, & large handbag containing my laptop.

I looked at that Pacific Coach website & that also confused me because they give incomplete information. I shall have to call or e-mail them.

They say:

"BUS TRANSPORTATION ONLY - Prices do not include BC Ferry fares or 12% HST tax (Where applicable). Click on* Travelling with Pacific Coach for further information."

They still do not give the Ferry fares so I cannot even see a total. Worse than air websites.

I looked at that Pacific Coach website & that also confused me because they give incomplete information. I shall have to call or e-mail them.

They say:

"BUS TRANSPORTATION ONLY - Prices do not include BC Ferry fares or 12% HST tax (Where applicable). Click on* Travelling with Pacific Coach for further information."

They still do not give the Ferry fares so I cannot even see a total. Worse than air websites.

The 12% HST tax is applicable to the fare charged by PCL and is extra, it a value added tax that is added to most goods & services in Canada. They do not show the ferry fare as there are days that the ferry fare is less than others and is discounted or free in certain circumstances....for instance those of us who are BC residents and over 65 ride the ferry for free Monday thru Thursday (except holiday Mondays).

Thank you, Dennis.

That's not bad at all. Cheaper than a taxi. I shall look at the website.

The ferry fares are on the pacific coach website.

Look under "crosswater" then under "travel with pacific coach".

The ferry does not have the 12% tax but has 5% fuel levy!!!

Shocking website. :)

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say thank you for all your assistance with directions from Vancouver to Victoria. Although it was a very long day with alot of the time spent traveling (4hrs each way), our family of five were all awed by Victoria, a very beautiful city. We had a rental car (which we got for free with points) which we drove to the Tsawwassen parking lot and then sailed to Swartz Bay. Then we took the #70X (which was very easy to locate after exiting the ferry) to a stop near the Fairmont Empress. The bus driver was very helpful in telling us where to get off the bus and which direction to walk). We walked around the Inner Harbor, and had a few appetizers and a drink at Milestones where we enjoyed the harbor activity. We went on a great whale watch with Prince of Whales which we booked at a booth by the Visitors' Center. We walked around again, and then took the #72 from Victoria back to Swartz Bay. We would definitely like to return to Victoria on a future trip.

Archived