MIA or FLL?

bluenoser2

Just booked a cruise out of Miami for December - totally unfamiliar with the area - we're planning to stay 2 nights pre-cruise. Is there an advantage to flying into FLL or MIA? There's 6 of us coming, and I'll be asking a LOT of questions about places to stay, cars to rent or not to rent, and such, but this is my first query - my only previous experience with Miami was a fog-induced Gravol stupor in the airport when I was 11. This memory is no help to me!

If the prices are relatively close I would fly to and from Miami because you avoid the cost of getting between the two airports.

All things being equal if you asked me about five years ago I would have recommended Fort Lauderdale but since that time we have spent several different enjoyable pre cruise stays in Miami and now prefer Miami.

Again start with pricing out the flights.

Keith

Obviously the most efficient and easiest is to fly into the port city. However, you need to consider airline fares and if you can save a lot by flying into FLL. If flying into FLL, you will need to get to the port eventually. So adding that shuttle cost per person back and forth should be worked into the air savings. I'd figure about $30-40 per person roundtrip on a shuttle van. Or you could set up a limo. Much info is here on this board.

Hotels in FT. L will generally be less than Miami Beach. You say you want two nights and you are traveling in Dec. If early Dec. rates are great. The week before and after Christmas, very high. At both cities.

If you want two nights, you'd want to spend time in Miami Beach/South Beach, not Miami. There really isn't anything special about Miami other than it's a huge city. Head to the the beach to spend your two days. More to do and walkable in many cases.

But...We really enjoy time in Ft.L too and easily can spend two nights there. ANd most everything is easy to walk or use the water taxis or trolley.

You have much to think about. :)

(BTW...LOVE Nova Scotia. We spent two weeks road touring there a few years ago. )But I can understand you wanting to leave a bit in the winter!!!

Obviously the most efficient and easiest is to fly into the port city. However, you need to consider airline fares and if you can save a lot by flying into FLL. If flying into FLL, you will need to get to the port eventually. So adding that shuttle cost per person back and forth should be worked into the air savings. I'd figure about $30-40 per person roundtrip on a shuttle van. Or you could set up a limo. Much info is here on this board.

Hotels in FT. L will generally be less than Miami Beach. You say you want two nights and you are traveling in Dec. If early Dec. rates are great. The week before and after Christmas, very high. At both cities.

If you want two nights, you'd want to spend time in Miami Beach/South Beach, not Miami. There really isn't anything special about Miami other than it's a huge city. Head to the the beach to spend your two days. More to do and walkable in many cases.

But...We really enjoy time in Ft.L too and easily can spend two nights there. ANd most everything is easy to walk or use the water taxis or trolley.

You have much to think about. :)

(BTW...LOVE Nova Scotia. We spent two weeks road touring there a few years ago. )But I can understand you wanting to leave a bit in the winter!!!

We spend six nights per pre cruise and we stay in Miami and not Miami Beach. There are certainly nice things about Miami Beach but it is not for everyone. We take a cab over to South Beach but for us we don't want to stay in a hotel there. Others do.

As far as airfares, the best thing is to check the prices to both airports. Often people on this board post to flying into Miami even though their cruise is out of Fort Lauderdale due to the flight savings. The reverse is also true.

As they say the devil is in the details.

Keith

Thanks for your super-speedy replies! That's what I thought - I just wanted to know if I was missing some big secret. From what I've seen so far, the prices are pretty close, so there doesn't seem to be any advantage to the FLL route.

When you look at the flight for the day you get off the ship look for a flight that is around Noon or slightly later.

When you book the flights we can give you help on hotels.

December is a great time to visit Florida and for a cruise.

Keith

FLL is smaller, some find it easier to navigate. MIA is a big place, usually there are many more flight options though.

I wouldn't book into FLL unless there is a significant savings, as noted above, those savings evaporate quickly in transfer fees. FLL is a little less than an hour drive from Miami.

If you want to stay in the real Miami you see on TV, price places on South Beach, which in general are the lower 25 blocks of Miami Beach, a barrier island/city just to the east of Miami proper.

The next best place to stay is in downtown Miami. At any of these two areas, you will not need a car.

With three kids, definitely stay in Miami Beach and right on the beachfront. Doesn't have to be South Beach; you can take the bus down the beach if they want to shop and eat in the Lincoln Road area.

We too are cruising out of Miami (in November) but are flying into Ft Lauderdale since the savings is HUGE for our group of 6.

We will be in the area for 24 hours pre-cruise and are staying in Ft Lauderdale as well.

We weighed transportation options like SAS shuttle vs car rental and found a car rental to be a better deal. The car will be convenient for going out to eat, doing our wine/champagne/soda shopping and doing a little sight seeing.

I booked with Budget. Pick up at FLL and drop off the morning of cruise at their 2nd street office which is 1.5 miles from POM. I used BCD code Y937800 (no membership or coupon required) and got a 24 hour mini-van for $80.00 total! I plan on dropping my group and luggage at the port and then running the van to the rental office and taxing it back to the port.

We can't afford the flights on the day the ship returns to Miami so we are staying the night ($250 savings per person to spend the night post-cruise) and flying home the next day and will do the reverse mini-van rental after debarkation. Picking up the van in Miami and returning at Ft Lauderdale airport is only $67 total.

Archived