iPhones Rental on-board Allure of the Seas?

We rented them on Allure at the end of March (2014).

They were not available at Guest Services, you had to go to the card room on Deck 14.

Supply seemed to be very limited, they were counting heads in line at about 1 - 1.30 to see who was going to be out of luck.

Did not see a "find someone" type app and had a lot of problems with deadzones in coverage. The biggest issue was that there was no "missed call" notification when coming out of the deadzone so on both occasions we did not know the kids had been trying to call from Kids club to tell us they were bored and wanted out. Led to a long boring stay for them on two occasions.

Discussed with the staff when we turned the phones in and were told these were the original phones still but that they would be retired soon and replaced with "something else".

For $30 the cost wasn't outrageous but the two times we really counted on them they didn't work. Probably would not rent them again.

• 10 months later...

I used these phones in June 2014, i am going on another family trip on the Quantum, and can not find any information regarding these. They were a great deal, having 4 tean agers, it was great to know where on the ship they were.

I used these phones in June 2014, i am going on another family trip on the Quantum, and can not find any information regarding these. They were a great deal, having 4 tean agers, it was great to know where on the ship they were.

For Quantum you will be able to download the Royal IQ app.

Edited by killtheump

• 4 weeks later...
This is so cool!!!

Very confusing, I had just called going on the Allure in June with children and grandchildren, requested phone information, told no phones are available... Just want to mention also we were on the Allure two years ago and told at 10am phones would be available in Library for those who wanted to rent... Went on line, many unhappy people... no more phones available.... Who knows if there ever were any?

• 7 months later...

Hi there everyone! We are going on the Anthem of the Seas cruise over this New years with all of our family & extended family. With so many people on board we definitely need to figure out the best way to keep in touch with everyone so we can meet up for activities or contact each to meet for drinks, ect.

I haven't seen anything yet about what is or isn't available on this particular ship. I know my brother has mentioned something about considering getting the wifi but im not sure how that works, the pricing, or what range that wifi would work for us (in our room, or all throughout the ship?) If that was the case maybe we could get in touch with others by using our phone's fb messengers on the ships wifi network while keeping our data off. Both my husband & I have android phones, im not sure if that would be a problem or not. I'm am worried about having our phones turned on and getting roaming charges. (Everytime i go to Japan or hawaii, just having it turned on without use gets mad crazy charges).

Anyways, any info on the best ways available to communicate while on this particular ship would be greatly appreciated!! Also pricing and where to get it set up (online before the cruise or onboard?).

Does anyone know if they offer Dect phones or anything like what you guys have been talking about (^above posts) for rent? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

...I know my brother has mentioned something about considering getting the wifi but im not sure how that works, the pricing, or what range that wifi would work for us (in our room, or all throughout the ship?) ...

The ship's WiFi works throughout the ship, including staterooms. The cost is $15 per day for one device for unlimited use. If your phone was in airplane mode and you turned on the phone's WiFi, then there would be no charges from your cell carrier.

Awesome, thats great to know and would definitely be a good option for us esp if we could use our own phones. Just trying to gather info as its our first cruise and we'd like to be in touch with our family as much as possible.

:rolleyes:Any knowledge of the device rentals aboard?

Awesome, thats great to know and would definitely be a good option for us esp if we could use our own phones. Just trying to gather info as its our first cruise and we'd like to be in touch with our family as much as possible.

:rolleyes:Any knowledge of the device rentals aboard?

Haven't heard about DECT phones for quite some time, so it's possible they are not available anymore. When they were available, they were around $25 for the cruise, and there were a very limited number. Inquire at Guest Services.

your cell phone works on the ship. but the rental of cell phones that only work on the ship is no longer available. Which is a shame, we just got back from the first cruise of the Anthem and loved the ship. Will be going again in July with grand kids and would have loved to have those phone available. One of the best options on them was the ability to know where the phone was. using the gps on your own phone does not specifically tell you where the person was. The ship phones told you where they were, arcade, boardwalk, teen center, etc. but RC has done away with them. Cost for use of wifi is $15 per day.

It sounds like using the wifi on our personal phones is the way to go.

I read something about gps wristbands for kids? is that tracked by an app on our phones once we get the wifi then? Do you know how much those would run per kid or per day?

It might be easy to track each other down too if we got those for my younger brothers and sisters, or even if us girls strapped them onto our purses just to make it another way to see where each other is at if our phones happen to have a break in service. i've heard that happens sometimes too. If they actually work as far as locating where on the ship they are at might not be a bad idea.

I'm just surprised with how updated these newer ships like Anthem are that they don't have more ways to keep in touch with your cruise party in this day & age :)