We got caught!

Thank you! I feel the exact same way, we went on our first cruise and watched over 30 people have things seized... we didn't even try, we wanted to enjoy our cruise and we did...

Hey, welcome to Cruise Critic. I hope you feel welcome and enjoy many years of posting!

And thank you for your comments!:)

we went on our first cruise and watched over 30 people have things seized... we didn't even try, we wanted to enjoy our cruise and we did...

How/why were you in the baggage room?? Trying to figure out how you would physically see "over 30 people" having things seized :confused:. I have better things to do on embarkation day than linger around security/baggage.

Don't forget those who bring their own tuxedos vs renting from the cruise line and those who have TWO lobster tails in the dining room! Thievery!! :rolleyes:

The last time I read the cruise contract I must have missed the part about tuxedos and lobster tails!:rolleyes:

"smoke screen," no REALITY.

What don't you understand?

And please don't give me the lame excuse that smugglers still have a large bar bill. Well, guess what? It would significantly larger if they didn't smuggle.

And please don't give me the other lame excuses...

A. They don't have my brand

B. They pour weak drinks

C. I want a drink on my balcony before dinner

D. They are too expensive

Those are all rationalizations.

Bottom line is that smuggling is not only a cruise contract violation but also theft from the shareholders.

I'm not arguing, your A,B,C and D bring some great point to the table, but you still did not address the freeloaders allowed on the ship that wont or cant buy booze, how are you going to stop that bleeding of profit. Captian Skubbysnack of the Concroida did more to hurt your stock value than a bunch of smugglers, BTW I'm a shareholder too, the whole subject is stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Theft from the shareholder, LMAOROTF what a stupid statement.

Bottom line is that smuggling is not only a cruise contract violation...

Agreed, it's against the rules to smuggle alcohol and then these folks are the first to complain about other rules not being followed when they don't follow the rules themselves.

Don't forget those who bring their own tuxedos vs renting from the cruise line and those who have TWO lobster tails in the dining room! Thievery!! :rolleyes:

Wow :rolleyes:

How/why were you in the baggage room?? Trying to figure out how you would physically see "over 30 people" having things seized :confused:. I have better things to do on embarkation day than linger around security/baggage.

We sailed the Splendor out of Long Beach last December and again in January.

Both times there was a collection of 'seized' booze, including 750 ml and 1.75 l bottles of hard stuff, a box or two of wine, and once a 36 pack Coors Light against the wall behind the scanners for the carry-on luggage.

What were they thinking?

gary

I will order one or two bottles from Bon Voyage but will still bring some of my own since the variety is SOOOOOO limited from Bon Voyage. Wish I liked just one liquor but I like to mix and make fruity yumminess. Win-win :D

Re: the red.

That, unlike smuggling, is ALLOWED. {insert roll eyes here}

Seriously, why do people try to sneak by and break the rules?

I am taking my second cruise this July (first one 10 years ago), it will be my partners first. I read a lot of posts about this subject trying to decide the best thing to do about the drinking issue. We decided to call the Bov Voyage dept. and have 4 bottles of liquor in our room when we board. No need to worry about the naughty room, leakage, or the feeling of guilt about breaking the rules. Yes we paid a bit more for the bottles, but, to me it's worth it not having to worry about being caught.

It seems easier to buy a few bottles but the prices seem to keep going up to like $60 for a bottle of rum or vodka

I miss silver springs :)

Its allowed to eat 4 ,5 ,6 lobster tails.The servers bring you what you want in hopes you dont remove tips....Ohh you did say in a post that you remove all tips

Oh, so if it's "allowed" then it's OK to "rob the shareholders" of profits??

Talking in circles are you? The good old double standard at play.

We sailed the Splendor out of Long Beach last December and again in January.

Both times there was a collection of 'seized' booze, including 750 ml and 1.75 l bottles of hard stuff, a box or two of wine, and once a 36 pack Coors Light against the wall behind the scanners for the carry-on luggage.

What were they thinking?

gary

Awe, gotcha'. The only things being confiscated ahead of me on my last cruise were irons. One after another, lol.

When DW and I went through screening in NOLA for the Elation, I had the two allowed bottles of wine, as well as a 12 pack of ginger ale, and an 8 pack of gatorade... nothing added, all in my carry on suitcase. I also hand carried a 24 pack of WalMart bottled water. The screener grabbed the water and handed over to a guard who took it to a table and told me to follow him. My DW grabbed the carryon of the belt, and it was never opened!! We could have easily smuggled alcohol in via the gatorade and ginger ale!! (but we didn't)

However, over at the table, this guard kept looking at me all suspiciously, so I started acting all nervous. He took each and every water bottle out of the package and shook it. I kept making comments about not finding anything unless WalMart put it there, which seemed to egg him on to TRY to find something...ANYTHING. After shaking every one of the 24 bottles, and setting them aside, he had a total look of dejection on his face, and said, I guess you can go now. I smiled and said, "Not until you put every single one of those bottles back in the case and seal it up!" After looking at me a few seconds, he did just that. I thanked him, and bid him a good day. As we walked by, another guard smiled and winked as we walked by.

I understand these guys have a job to do, but come on. He just seemed bound and determined from the time he saw me that I was guilty. Oh well...

The last time I read the cruise contract I must have missed the part about tuxedos and lobster tails!:rolleyes:

It's way at the bottom under the B.S. section along with things like "smuggling 8 ounces of booze is stealing from the shareholders" section. :D

Correct, because you don't have to smuggle to have a good time or enjoy a cruise.

What bothers me, other than the obvious cruise contract stuff, is that smuggling is really stealing from the shareholders, the owners of the company. Many members of Cruise Critic are also Carnival shareholders and the simple fact is that smuggling reduces profits and reduced profits causes the price of the stock to go down.

Gosh, you must be a joy to be stuck at dinner with in the MDR. Do you count how many dinner rolls that people are eating too?:rolleyes:

Some of the kilts I wear have pockets big enough to carry a few plastic bottles completly without being noticed. as long as it dosent set off the detector they never search my pockets. You guys, Start wearing Utilikilts onto the ship, The Survival and workmans models will hold a six pack in the pockets completly and out of sight..:).

Oh well, guess I blew it again.. heard that the authouritys read these forums, just gave another way.. OK.. I dont drink anyways. But its worth a try. Ill let everybody know in Nov. But ill smuggle regular "water" in my pockets.

yep, dh and i had our booze confiscated by carnival while on the pride last week out of baltimore. We had packed plastic botttles in a carry on which we checked, but i guess it was too heavy and they inspected it, took out the booze and sent the suitcase to our room with a note inside sayng we could pick up our package on the day we leave. Oh, well. It was a very expensive cruise!!

Sherry

rookies! :-)

I have never understood why people feel the need to smuggle booze onto the ship but what I really, really don't get is why they come here to brag about it. :(

If I did (and I wouldn't) ever try to smuggle anything on, and got caught, I certainly wouldn't want to come here and tell the whole world about it.

Random for sure! On my Legend cruise out of Tampa, I had packed my soda and champagne in my carry-on. As I approached the security belt, the employee manning it says, "bags on the belt...people walk forward" and not an ounce of inspection. I was soooo worried about it that I actually said, "Don't you want me to open my bag so you can look at my bottles?" and his response was, "No. NEXT person please"! Made me wish I had put a bottle of hard liquor in there instead of champagne! There were 5 in our group and not a single bag/bottle was given a second glance. :rolleyes:

Nine checked bags had multiple Rum Runners and they ALL made it through.

That's crazy. On our cruise out of Tampa on the legend last month we brought 24 16ounce bottles of dr pepper and they checked EVERY SINGLE one! Even tried to take 2 away because the caps looked "funny".

Correct, because you don't have to smuggle to have a good time or enjoy a cruise.

What bothers me, other than the obvious cruise contract stuff, is that smuggling is really stealing from the shareholders, the owners of the company. Many members of Cruise Critic are also Carnival shareholders and the simple fact is that smuggling reduces profits and reduced profits causes the price of the stock to go down.

Smuggling is not stealing. Stealing is taking someone else'e property. How is my bringing my own alcohol on board stealing from anyone? I guess you pre suppose that if I do not bring mine on board I would buy theirs, which may or may not be true. My last bar tab on a cruise was 20 bucks. Whether I bring anything on board or not its still gonna be about 20 bucks. The cruise lines high prices encourage smuggling. They should lower their prices and there would be a lot less of it. High prices are what injure their stockholders.

As a CCL shareholder and CEO of my household, I find it monetarily beneficial to my company to attempt to skirt certain rules when possible as the impact on each is drastically different and in my favor. It's a lot like the banking industry does on Wall Street. You have to learn from the best..,

Sent from my ARM powered phone using Tapatalk

Its allowed to eat 4 ,5 ,6 lobster tails.The servers bring you what you want in hopes you dont remove tips....Ohh you did say in a post that you remove all tips

No I didn't. I actually overtip. Nice try though.

Oh, so if it's "allowed" then it's OK to "rob the shareholders" of profits??

Talking in circles are you? The good old double standard at play.

It's not robbing shareholders of profits when Carnival has an all you can buffet available to all on board. The same is applied in the dining room where you can order to your heart's content. If it ever becomes a problem for them and they're losing the money on the deal, then I'm certain they'll change the policy.

Archived