What sets CCL apart & helpful tips!?

I have not been on a CCL cruise in 10+ years, so I would love some POSITIVE tips for my upcoming cruise with my hubby and 3 daughters (2, 5, 8).

I have read all the CCL bashing and negative posts....but I would like some helpful tips, little known perks, CCL exclusive things or some of your favorite things that make CCL cruises special.

We travel often, and feel all vacations are what you make of them. We love new places and new experiences, so I am just looking for things to help us make the most out of our 5 days with Carnival.

Thanks in advance!

Ok...I'll go first.

First and foremost, I am glad to know you feel vacations are what you make of them. Too often people seem to be unhappy about the most trivial things. We just go with the flow and enjoy what we have rather than mope about what we don't.

I won't, like many do, compare Carnival to a certain large retailer headquartered in Arkansas. But don't expect a 5-star, oppulent, extravagant experience. There won't be any butlers turning down your silk sheets or lobster and caviar at the dinner table every night.

You'll get a clean, comfortable room and (imho) tasty meals with about a dozen or so options at each dinner. There will be plenty of options for stuff to do during the day...and if none sound good to you, you can find a quiet place to chill. You will get a crew who, in my experience, will do all they can to make your cruise enjoyable. If you want something special, just ask one of them...if they can, they will.

I don't know what else to say...I'm sure others will add to or refute what I've written...and that's fine.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone! We usually do not eat in the MDR....however this time we did opt for Anytime Dining so we might make it....but are there any 'dont miss' meals/food items?

Whats the best dessert? Any signature drinks to try? And if we only make it to one or two shows which would you suggest?

I personally think warm chocolate melting cake tastes like it needs to be finished cooking.

I like bitter and blanc and some of those other desserts a lot more. Bitter and blanc I think is the one that has chunks of bread?? with three kinds of chocolate, with the semi sweet right at the bottom of the bowl, so dig your spoon all the way in.

People cruise carnival for the price. Its usually the cheapest cruise out there.

Carnival has become the cheapest Cruiseline since the bean counter Cahill took over.....notice I used the word "cheapest", and not least expensive. There are real reasons behind that careful choice of words. If you're a K-Mart kind of person you will enjoy it. This from someone who has 29 cruises on this line.

Thanks everyone! We usually do not eat in the MDR....however this time we did opt for Anytime Dining so we might make it....but are there any 'dont miss' meals/food items?

Whats the best dessert? Any signature drinks to try? And if we only make it to one or two shows which would you suggest?

We really like ATD, we can always get a 2-top, go anytime we like, and have VERY rarely had to wait.

Carnival has become the cheapest Cruiseline since the bean counter Cahill took over.....notice I used the word "cheapest", and not least expensive. There are real reasons behind that careful choice of words. If you're a K-Mart kind of person you will enjoy it. This from someone who has 29 cruises on this line.

Well, I have already booked and paid for the cruise...so I do know that they are the least expensive for my family for July. I typically go 'middle of the road' on vacation pricing....never paying for or expecting Diamond rated accommodations, especially with kids! I am looking for tips once on the ship, to make the best out of my 'not as expensive as other vacations' cruise. ;)

With that said, I don't shop at KMart, but I do like their sister store Sears on occasion! I am an equal opportunity shopper. I don't have much brand loyalty except for where I buy my gasoline.... If I fall into a businesses targetted demographic, I expect them to provide me the best deal and bang for my buck! I will go with whichever company can do that for me!

Camp Carnival for the kids cannot be beat! They will meet kids their own age and be thoroughly entertained each time they go. My D was 8 when she went the first time (she's 24 now) and made a 'best friend' - they became inseparable during the trip (a positive, really). And she was nervous about going to camp at first!

While the kids are at camp, take some time in the serenity area. Usually much quieter and relaxing for parents who just want some down time. The pool area tends to be pretty loud and I personally prefer the more relaxed and quiet zone.

Any time dining will definitely make the dining room more appealing. Have the girls put on a sun dress and make it a festive party kind of occasion.

Have fun!

My decision to sail Carnival for the first time had very little to do with price (okay, I can't afford Windstar... but you get the idea) and everything to do with the fact that they are one of the only cruise lines (if not the ONLY) in the Southern Caribbean in the summer months. That being said, we opted for a cruise out of Miami instead of our initial plans of leaving from Puerto Rico - but again the decision was based on ports, not price.

When push comes to shove, I'm happy to be on ship! :)

Dont miss Mongolian BBQ and try and go when its less busy or the lines can be long. I get entangled with the slot pull or whatever and miss the 2:30 pm closing time. Its only open for lunch

There is a chicken rotissie next to it where I ask for dark meat to go with my mongolian BBQ.

They usually only have shrimp the first day if you like shrimp. Each day they have 3 meat choices which change daily.

I love Ecstasy myself.

My positive comment is what I like about Carnival these days is there are more food choices than ever before. I love Mongolian BBQ and glad it was added to this ship (triumph does not have it :( )

Try and get to the MDR one day for lunch. Since its only open on sea days, have to try harder to work it in.

Seems like the last seaday they always have fried chicken in the buffet for lunch with the chocolate buffet. As far as I know they still do the chocolate buffet the last sea day and they still do it at lunch in the buffet, so this is the wrong day to eat lunch in the MDR.

Go to the dollar store and get some festive decorations to put on the cabin door. Your girls will love it, and it makes finding your door so much easier, in a long hallway of matching doors.

Drink - Try a Kiss on the Lips or the Chotolate Martini

Breakfast & Lunch in the MDR will be easier than trying to carry the girls food around the buffet.

WCMC is awesome, but so are several others. Get each person to order something different and you can all share them to decide which one you like.

Sign the kids up for Camp Carnival ASAP. They will love it and you and hubby and relax a little.

Archived