First time cruising with a 2yo - help?

karenj2

Hi, I'm new here! DH and I made a last minute decision to travel with my in-laws (MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL, and 11yo nephew) to Bermuda on the Celebrity in 3 weeks (June 24), and now I'm panicking because I've never cruised with my daughter before! She's a relatively good traveler, and is pretty flexible on naps, dinnertime, etc., but I'm a bit worried about how to entertain her on the ship since she can't swim in the pool (part of the reason it took so long to make a decision to be honest).

We're driving to the port, so I do have a bit more flexibility on what we can pack.

Can you all give me some tips? Anything that you think is a must-see for a 2yo in Bermuda or on the ship?

Hi, I'm new here! DH and I made a last minute decision to travel with my in-laws (MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL, and 11yo nephew) to Bermuda on the Celebrity in 3 weeks (June 24), and now I'm panicking because I've never cruised with my daughter before! She's a relatively good traveler, and is pretty flexible on naps, dinnertime, etc., but I'm a bit worried about how to entertain her on the ship since she can't swim in the pool (part of the reason it took so long to make a decision to be honest).

We're driving to the port, so I do have a bit more flexibility on what we can pack.

Can you all give me some tips? Anything that you think is a must-see for a 2yo in Bermuda or on the ship?

hi Karen,

I was in Bermuda in 2010, although the time my son was not with me, but plenty of kids/families went to the little beach area right next to where the ships dock, not sure the name, but it seemed to be a big hit with the little kids.

I spent the 2 days touring the whole island,it was tiresome, almost too much, wish I had just picked one section one day and stayed closer to the boat the next. They do have boat shuttles that bring you over to other parts of the island as well as buses.

There is probably a "bermuda" thread you could get some info there, or try the "family" thread.... Have fun, Bermuda is just beautiful, I can't wait to go back with my DS next time!

Bring a blow up pool you can use on deck or on your balcony for little one to "swim" in. Also will be helpful for bathtime (unless you are in a suite).

Haven't been to Bermuda since I was a child so can't help you there.

Have a great family trip!

I'm not sure there is a "must-do or see" for a 2 year old! They're really too young to care about specifics!

Sounds like your little one is easy....so just bring some favorite toys (and the ship will have some you can borrow) and go with the flow. Small kids are usually easy, as if you're happy, so will they be! And, you'll have helpers! Very nice!

She won't pitch a fit about the pool, if it's not shown to her! But, that blow-up duck tub is a great thing to bring for splashing!!!!

Well last August we sailed on the Summit to Bermuda and DD#2 had turned 2 the May before we sailed. I will be honest I was nervous because she hadn't potty trained but after showing her lots of pictures of the ship (including the pool) she just decided she had to go in and trained herself end of July early August so she was fully trained by the time we sailed. After all of that I think she only went into the pool maybe 2 times. She actually preferred to just explore the ship. We took LOTS of walks around the upper decks, walks around the pool over and over. She walked around with her baby doll and had a lot of people who stopped her to ask her questions and speak with her. My older DD was 4 when we sailed. She went into the fun factory.

Now they do have some sort of toddler time - you would have to ask on the ship. I had read that they sometimes allow (at the staff's discretion a 2 year old to join into the 3-5 activities WITH an adult present at all times). At the table in the terminal they said No that she could only do the toddler time; however, once on board they told us differently. She only did one or two things with my mother (we sailed with family). I was really worried over nothing. She had a great time and explored every aspect of the ship.

Meals we dined early and the family we sailed with dined late seating. This worked well for us because the girls would come to the dining room with us. About and hour or so into the meal as they got restless and finished their dinners - we would walk them out of the MDR, pass them to family - who would take our eldest to the fun factory and walk the little one until we could finish our meal. The girls loved to get all dressed up and be princesses going out for an adult meal. They sat quietly (although we brought some small foam magnetic shape blocks and some other quiet activities to keep them busy if needed). We were also lucky to get a table next to the window so they could peak out.

We had such a great time that we are going again this summer and DD#2 is excited that she will be old enough (just turned 3) to go to the fun factory.

As far as the potty training you could try to get her on board - but if not I wouldn't stress it. I would just bring a small pool and you can always fall back on that option. You might find that your 2 year old prefers to explore rather than swim - gave me lots of exercise to work off the food and desserts from the MDR.

Oh as far as what to do in Bermuda...

We went one day (rained a bit that day) to the zoo and aquarium. It was a hit with the girls.

We went our second day to snorkel park. It was very overcast and we were worried it would rain. They weren't even charging when we went. We went early and there were several families with young children. It was great - quiet, great place for the girls to swim. When the sun came out and it started to get more crowded we headed back to the ship.

We spent our last day at Horseshoe Bay. It was really rough that day but there is a small cove next to the beach that was full of families. It was perfect for younger kids.

Not sure if this is something you would be interested in or not. We didn't know until the end of the trip or we would have taken many more photos but they offer a "photo package". You can either get all your photos taken all week long (including when you 1st get on the ship etc) on a CD or you can get the CD and prints of all of the photos. We ended up getting it because there were too many to pick from but had we known we would have had many more taken. The girls got dressed up every night and it was a great way to get some nice professional single and family photos. We will take advantage of it again this year but make sure to really utilize it. If you are traveling with family it is a nice option to get some great family photos.

Archived