Shaving razor in a carry-on?

MicheMommy

I don't understand TSA's description about if razors are allowed in carry-ons or not and figured people here would probably know.

DH and I are going on our first cruise in a couple of weeks and want to just bring carry-ons. It's a short cruise, so it should be quite doable. However, I can't figure out whether he can bring his razor in his bag or if we'll need to pick some cheap disposable ones up when we get to the port city. He just uses one of those razors w/a detachable blade head thing (Gillette, I think?). So, can he pack it in his carry on or not? Anyone know?

So what about this from prohibited items section of the TSA website:

Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted)

Does his count as a "disposable razor" with a "cartridge"? If we just picked up some cheapo disposable razors here, would that be okay? I really don't mind picking something up in Miami if we have to, but if we *can* bring what he already has, I'd rather just do that.

I regularly travel with a Gillette Mach 3 in the carryon and have never had a problem. What the TSA is concerned about are razors with removable blades, such as the old double-edge blades and injector blades. Or straight-edge razors, as you used to find at the turn of the century or in a high-end barber shop today.

If the blades are factory-fixed in a cartridge, then you should be fine.

Of course, this is only my set of data points. On any given day, a TSA agent with a complex may come across your bag.

I regularly travel with a Gillette Mach 3 in the carryon and have never had a problem. What the TSA is concerned about are razors with removable blades, such as the old double-edge blades and injector blades. Or straight-edge razors, as you used to find at the turn of the century or in a high-end barber shop today.

If the blades are factory-fixed in a cartridge, then you should be fine.

Of course, this is only my set of data points. On any given day, a TSA agent with a complex may come across your bag.

You are correct. No "loose" razor blades, single or double edged. Cartridges and disposable razors are completely fine to carry on.

We find it simpler to put razors in checked baggage & get a can of shave cream & toothpaste near the hotel after the flight.

Steve

If you are checking a bag, why aren't you just putting the shave cream and toothpaste in that bag??? I can see buying mouthwash and saline solution at your destination because of the weight of liquids, but the weight of shave cream and toothpaste wouldn't be an issue, would it??

Within Europe I have never had a problem with modern razors, disposable or not.

I usually chuck a bag of disposable razors in either my checked bag or carryon; never a problem and I assure you we have as many nutters in the security world as you do.

No limits of any kind for knives, razors, boxcutters, etc. in CHECKED bags. In carry-on, safety razors are permitted -- those are the kind with the razor blades built in to the plastic, such as your "Mach" style blades. What is prohibited are the old, double edge razor blades (where you typically would twist the base of the razor handle to open up the part that holds the blade.) Similarly, Exacto blades and knives of any kind (even the little one you have on your keychain) are prohibited through the Checkpoints.

In carry-on, safety razors are permitted -- those are the kind with the razor blades built in to the plastic, such as your "Mach" style blades. What is prohibited are the old, double edge razor blades (where you typically would twist the base of the razor handle to open up the part that holds the blade.)

Please be careful with your terminology. The "cartridge" type are a "safety razor" as is the one with the double-edge blade, the original "safety razor". So, are "safety razors" allowed? Yes and no.

Dear FlyerTalk -- I am addressing this specifically to you.

You seem to spend a lot of time on these boards nitpicking and "correcting" other posters. "Safety razors" are what we, at the TSA, call them. Sorry if that description doesn't meet your standards but after ten years, I've yet to meet a passenger who does not understand what is meant. However, if you would like me to send YOU pictures, I would be happy to do so.

In the meantime, you have convinced me to delete and/or skip anything with your signature. Feel free to flame away -- don't care.

OP- As FYI a Google search will bring up info and photos directly from the TSA.

Tulch- Not taking sides, but your comment piqued my curiosity to make sure I understood the rules. The TSA's very own blog supports Flyertaker's comment: http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/safety-razors-and-disposable-razors.html "Safety razor" blades and "straight razors" are not allowed...the blades with a plastic cartridge are called "Disposable razors" by TSA. And, TSA provides photos that make it completely clear. :)

Dear FlyerTalk -- I am addressing this specifically to you.
And the same with my reply. I usually let these slide by, but your official work capacity merits a response.
You seem to spend a lot of time on these boards nitpicking and "correcting" other posters. "Safety razors" are what we, at the TSA, call them. Sorry if that description doesn't meet your standards but after ten years, I've yet to meet a passenger who does not understand what is meant. However, if you would like me to send YOU pictures, I would be happy to do so.
Blogger Bob has already given the "official" party line in the link provided by kenish. And he notes what I did. However, you have once again confirmed to me that many TSA employees have no idea what their own agency's rules really are, then make them up to fit their own conception, and throw terminology around as if it doesn't matter -except when it does to suit their own wishes. And then the agency defends that by calling it "designed inconsistency".

And yes, I will admit that I "nitpick" and "correct". That's for one simple reason - to provide ACCURATE information. And to freely admit, and correct, when I am wrong. I'll put my "cruise air batting average" up against most anyone (though there are a few here who make me into a piker). And why go through this? So that the readers get the absolute best info I can provide to make their flying experience as good as it can get. Knowledge is power, ignorance is self-defeating. A well informed customer has the biggest edge. But "going Galt" is looking better every day.

In the meantime, you have convinced me to delete and/or skip anything with your signature. Feel free to flame away -- don't care.
Thousands Standing Around.

Dear FlyerTalk [sic]-- I am addressing this specifically to you.

Flyertalker has posted correct information as to what a safety razor is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_razor

Many "safety" razors cannot go through TSA security, despite what you think a safety razor is. Obviously there are flyers who don't understand what type of razor can go through security, as evidenced by this thread!

Personally, I like posters who provide accurate information. If you don't like it, why not ignore his/her posts rather than criticizing and providing inaccurate information yourself?:rolleyes:

Archived