european cruisers--cell phones on board

petsgalore

does anyone have experience with receiving calls on their mobiles during a sea day? while probably extremely costly, is it even possible? thanks for your insights....

I take a mobile with me on my trips. I have a T-Mobile phone and it has worked on sea days in Europe. Not all of the time, but generally it has been ok enough for me to keep in touch with home on sea days. It worked pretty much all of the way across the Atlantic this April too.

Phil

does anyone have experience with receiving calls on their mobiles during a sea day? while probably extremely costly, is it even possible? thanks for your insights....

Yes they work. I have an iphone and received a few calls while cruising.

Are you inquiring about using cell phones (mobiles) on sea days while in European? Or are you asking if European phones will work on the ship? What brand phone? Who is the carrier?

In general, cell phones do work on board ship, at a rate of around $2.50 per minute. Texts may be billed at a different rate.

Are you inquiring about using cell phones (mobiles) on sea days while in European? Or are you asking if European phones will work on the ship? What brand phone? Who is the carrier?

In general, cell phones do work on board ship, at a rate of around $2.50 per minute. Texts may be billed at a different rate.

Text rates if I recall are .05 receiving and .5 sending

You might try your cell phone company's web site. I know that our USA carrier, ATT Wireless, list the rates and info for ship use of cell phones on their website under "international roaming".

For us the service works everywhere we've sailed although connection quality is occasionally spotty. The ship also turns off their system when they are within range of a land based system. I would imagine this would be the same with phones from a European wireless company as well.

The rates for us are $2.49/minute; outgoing texts are $0.50 each and incoming texts are billed at the same rate as your "home" plan (i.e. no extra charge if you have unlimited texting at home). It is my understand that the rates can vary by carrier as it depends on your carrier's roaming agreements with the companies the cruise lines work with.

Archived