Cabin choice for South America trip

madera1

We recently booked cabin 095 on the navigation deck based on the view from the cabin and size of balcony. We previoulsy have had an aft cabin for an Alaska cruise and loved the view. Since the booking I have been reading posts from others who say that you should have a lower deck cabin for a South America cruise. We sail from Valpraiso to Buenos Aires around the Horn in Feb. I would like to hear from those who have previously sailed this route about what cabins should be avoided. Thanks so much.

My husband, a sailor, definitely wanted central and low, so we had 642 on Main Deck, on Veendam Jan 2011. For us it was a great location. We were a few steps from the promenade deck, one flight up, and at the far end of the corridor a "secret stair" to the rear promenade deck, where we could move from side to side easily. We spent most of our Antarctic days on open decks or the open bow so that we could look up/down/all around easily.

We only had one or two slightly rough days off the Chilean coast; we could definitely feel the difference between movement in our cabin and on the upper decks, although it did not bother us.

I loved looking out the cabin window and watching penguins float by on icebergs....

If you are going from Valpraiso to Buenos Aires, you will want a cabin on the port side. That will be the side that you will be able to see Cape Horn from. We had a very smooth trip. I never felt sick. I felt sick in the Caribbean last Feb. You just never know.

Thanks for your comments. Our room is actually the corner room on the starboard side aft. We primarily will have a view of the back so will be able to see both sides somewhat. We would have preferred the port corner room but it was already booked. I guess we will take our chances and keep the room and hopefully we will have a smooth sailing like some of you experienced.

Thanks for your comments. Our room is actually the corner room on the starboard side aft. We primarily will have a view of the back so will be able to see both sides somewhat. We would have preferred the port corner room but it was already booked. I guess we will take our chances and keep the room and hopefully we will have a smooth sailing like some of you experienced.

What ship will you be on?

You don't say what ship are you booked on..

We're on the Prinsendam out of Ft.. Lauderdale Jan 5 & will actually be leaving Ushuaia on Feb 01 & headed into the Antarctic..We have a mid ship outside cabin on Main Deck..We did this cruise once before going the opposite Direction & enjoyed being down on Main Deck closer to the water..However, could not get a port side cabin as they too were all booked up..I'm hoping that as we get past the 90 day finals that one on the port side might open up for us....

Cheers...:)Betty

Take it from me -- you can have a real wild ride around the horn -- or it can be very calm. If your luck is like mine, and you are sensitive to motion, lower decks, midship is the best.

.....We sail from Valpraiso to Buenos Aires around the Horn .....
Ideal is a balcony cabin or suite on the port side for the magnificent views from your cabin as you cruise along, located as low and center as you can get for stability if motion bothers you.

Archived