Is Honduras becoming a less frequent Western Caribbean cruise stop?

Probably not. Carnival has several ships that stop there weekly. By Carnival I mean Carnival, Princess and HAL.

NCL, Celebrity and RCL also stop there tho I am not familiar with their schedules.

FYI, large, new port/docking facilities are under construction and scheduled to open later this year or early 2013 in Trujillo. This is on the mainland coast almost across from Roatan.

http://emergingterrains.com/investmentnews/honduras/honduras-plans-cruise-terminal-in-bay-of-trujillo/

I don't know if I am looking at the wrong cruises, but it seems that Honduras as a cruise port stop is becoming less available on Western Caribbean cruises. Is there any merit to this?

I was recently comparing cruises with Honduras for a port of call. In Dec 2013, Carnival (and I mean Carnival, not including HAL or Princess) has 3 ships making stops there: Carnival Glory, Carnival Liberty, and Carnival Conquest. It looks like they alternate every 2 weeks: one week western caribbean, then the next week eastern caribbean, so there's at least one ship stopping every week. And that's just Carnival. Several other cruise lines also stop there. I didn't compare specifics of other lines once I saw price differences. Carnival's Early Saver has some great prices right now and since I'm booking 4 people, I can save a bundle compared to the other lines. We're taking our 22 and 25 year old kids on their first cruise and I think they'll love the fun ship atmosphere.

FYI, large, new port/docking facilities are under construction and scheduled to open later this year or early 2013 in Trujillo. This is on the mainland coast almost across from Roatan.

That will be great. I wonder what the first cruise ship to arrive there will be.

I was recently comparing cruises with Honduras for a port of call. We're taking our 22 and 25 year old kids on their first cruise and I think they'll love the fun ship atmosphere.

Honduras is beautiful and I would like to go there again. I want to see Belize for the first time. I am hoping to find a cruise with these two stops some time next year. You kids will love traveling. It is nice they will be able to enjoy their first cruise at a young age.

One of the issues with Roatan is that the Carnival family use Mahogany Bay and if there is any kind of wind blowing entry and docking is an issue and the ships will bypass it. I believe I have read that there is to be some changes at Mahogany Bay to make it easier for ships when the wind is up.

Honduras is beautiful and I would like to go there again. I want to see Belize for the first time. I am hoping to find a cruise with these two stops some time next year. You kids will love traveling. It is nice they will be able to enjoy their first cruise at a young age.

My November cruise on Conquest goes to both these ports. I would think now that they have more than one port there its more ships stopping there, not less.

Before the old port, only one ship a day could stop .. so how could it be true with a 2nd port, that less ships are stopping there.

Cavetubing in Belize has been on my bucket list for years :) The 3 ships I mentioned above will be cruising from Miami with stops in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman.

I don't know if I am looking at the wrong cruises, but it seems that Honduras as a cruise port stop is becoming less available on Western Caribbean cruises. Is there any merit to this?

I sincerely hope it's not true. Our day exploring the island of Roatan was hands down the best day in port that I have experienced.

We just booked a January 2013 NCL cruise that is going to Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. I am not sure where you are from but this ship, The Star, leaves from New Orleans.

Archived