QUESTION for people with teens

SSJ4Gogeta

Yep-- it will help greatly for you to post the ship and date that you are going.

We have sailed Royal and Carnival with teens. My kids had a great time on all the cruises we have done.

Here is the ROyal board that can help you with anything question you may have

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

We went to Alaska 2 years ago- my daughter was 14. Are you planning on being in Alaska any time other than for the cruise. If you are-email me I have lots of specific and a through itinerary - it was a spectacular trip.

we will be in anchorage for a few days after. i tried to email you but it wont let me. did your daughter have fun?

Try the teen activities to see whether you like them. You don't have to make a week-long commitment to a kid's program. Some kids have a blast doing that, others don't. When my daughter was your age, she had a great time on cruises, but she didn't bother with the planned activities for kids, probably because she's a very independent sort of person. The one thing that I have noticed on a lot of cruises is that kids tend to gravitate toward one another, whether it's through an organized activity or just hanging around at the pool. Just remember: if you're looking for someone to hang out with, so are they.

The one activity not to miss is the kid's disco. You can't get in to the regular disco, so that's a major chance to meet some people your age.

Have a great time on your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Please let me hear from you when you return. Want to take my son next year. He'll be 15 as well. Would love to get some suggetions from you.

I think you'll have a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Myrtle

One thing I strongly suggest all teens do is attend the teen club the first 2 days, even if the activities seem lame (and to my teen daughters they really seem lame!) Its a great way to learn whats available especially for teens (tours, parties, etc.), learn about the ship you're sailing on, ask questions to friendly staff that are there especially for teens, get freebies, and most importantly, meet other kids your own age. The more kids you get to know, the more fun the cruise will be for you :)

One thing I strongly suggest all teens do is attend the teen club the first 2 days, even if the activities seem lame (and to my teen daughters they really seem lame!) Its a great way to learn whats available especially for teens (tours, parties, etc.), learn about the ship you're sailing on, ask questions to friendly staff that are there especially for teens, get freebies, and most importantly, meet other kids your own age. The more kids you get to know, the more fun the cruise will be for you :)

The first two days are critical in the relationships the teens make on a cruise. It does not take long for them to get little groups together and if the first or second day is missed, they could be left out in the cold.

The teen center was fun at times but usually they just roamed around the ship with friends and got ice cream, did karaoke, hung out, and watched the late night shows together. They were well behaved and respected others so being alone was perfectly fine. Some of the time they spent in the teen center was for certain events and then they left or they would meet up there in the mornings. It all depends. You are going to have a great time! Have fun!

I went on my first cruise when I was 16. I loved it, but I didn't really meet people and was occasionally lonely. I strongly advise that your daughter attend the first teen club meeting. I had a long day when we got on the ship due to a traumatic snafu with my luggage :rolleyes: and the "get to know you" was at 11:30 PM. I just wanted to go to sleep at that point, but I really wish I'd gone because that's when everyone meets each other and makes friends. Assure your daughter that if she is friendly and laidback at that first meeting, she will make friends, as most teens on cruises are very open to forming friendships. If she doesn't like the teen iteniary, don't pressure her to participate in activities, but make sure she does go to this first meeting, so she at least has the chance to meet people to hang out with.

Also, consider letting her bring a friend. I know it is expensive, but I am taking a cruise next summer and I am bringing friends who are helping out with the financial part. That way, if all the activities are completely lame, we can still have fun together!

Archived