ferry to cruise ship

we are coming from victoria to vancouver by ferry. we need to stop at the marriot down town and pick up some left luggage. then on to our cruise ship. how long do you think this will take, and how much by taxi? time is more important than cost.

Sound like you are timing this very close.

Keep in mind ferry could be late or traffic a lot worse than you think.

What time are you hoping to arrive to the port versus the time of the cruise departure.

Keith

From the Tsawwassen ferry terminal you are about a 45 drive to the Marriott, I would only be guessing but your fare is going to be in the region of $75 plus. From the Marriott to Canada Place you are less than 6 blocks and a $10 cab ride.

You may care to consider coming from Victoria to Vancouver via Pacific Coach Lines, they have at least two morning departures that would have you downtown Vancouver in plenty of time to make your cruise. They ordinarily stop at Fairmont's Hotel Vancouver which is less than 6 blocks to the Marriott....you could take a cab from the Hotel Vancouver to the Marriott, have the cab wait while you retrieve your luggage from the bell desk, then carry on to Canada Place...all likely for under $20. With Pacific Coach Lines you do not need to handle your luggage from the time you board the bus in Victoria until you arrive at the Hotel Vancouver.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/Crosswater/Victoria-to-Vancouver

we are coming from victoria to vancouver by ferry. we need to stop at the marriot down town and pick up some left luggage. then on to our cruise ship. how long do you think this will take, and how much by taxi? time is more important than cost.

Don't want to give you the bad news, but a taxi from the ferry to downtown is in the $75 range; should take 45 mins approximately.

The alternate (slightly slower) method is the city bus (#620), transferring to the Canada Line Skytrain line at Bridgeport; for $5/ea and takes about 1h5m.

I wouldn't want to be any later than the 9am or 10am ferry

8am Victoria downtown

9am Swartz Bay

11am Tsawwassen

just after noon; downtown

If time is the big issue, there is float plane service downtown to downtown, it takes 30 mins, but costs $125+ /ea. It's an amazing ride though. http://www.harbour-air.com/

Having done all three on lots (100+) occasions, I would go the ferry/bus/skytrain route for the most effective combination of price/speed.

Keep in mind ferry could be late or traffic a lot worse than you think.

Keith

Or the ferry could be canceled causing multiple delays. That seems to be the case lately (like today).

Or the ferry could be canceled causing multiple delays. That seems to be the case lately (like today).

I see no cancellations on the current runs today; the very worst is 18 minutes late leave (and only 7 min late arriving )

http://www.bcferries.com/current_conditions/arrivals-departures.html?dept=TSA&route=01

Vessel / Scheduled Departure / Actual Departure / ETA or

Arrival Time / Status

Spirit of Vancouver Island 7:00 AM 7:02 AM 8:32 AM On Time

Spirit of British Columbia 9:00 AM 9:07 AM 10:36 AM On Time

Spirit of Vancouver Island 11:00 AM 11:09 AM 12:34 PM On Time

Coastal Celebration 12:00 PM 12:01 PM 1:40 PM On Time

Spirit of British Columbia 1:00 PM 1:18 PM 2:42 PM Operational delay

Queen of New Westminster 2:00 PM 2:01 PM 3:30 PM On Time

Spirit of Vancouver Island 3:00 PM 3:04 PM 4:32 PM On Time

Coastal Celebration 4:00 PM 4:05 PM 5:34 PM On Time

Spirit of British Columbia 5:00 PM 5:12 PM ETA: 6:47 PM Operational delay

I think that Tweedy intended to reference the problems with the Nanaimo run yesterday with the bomb threat. That aside some 91% of BC Ferries operate within 10 mins of sked and that is across almost 175,000 sailings a year. While there are delays during the summer months due to traffic that is not a huge issue the first sailings of the morning and seldom is there an outright cancellation

I think that Tweedy intended to reference the problems with the Nanaimo run yesterday with the bomb threat.

Yes, that would be the one. My apologies, I thought it happened this morning. I guess I should pay more attention to the news.

Yes, that would be the one. My apologies, I thought it happened this morning. I guess I should pay more attention to the news.

Hey, all I need to know is that it's golf on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and occasionally Sunday.....life is simple.:) Oh yes, and the OAP and CPP get deposited after the 25th of the month (Ut, I hope you are paying attention).:D

thanks for all your help. we don't have to be on the ship untill some time after 1pm. we planed on taking the 9am ferry. the bus that takes us into vanc. center sounds like the best bet. do you know if the senior pricing is for all seniors or only b.c. seniors?

thanks for all your help. we don't have to be on the ship untill some time after 1pm. we planed on taking the 9am ferry. the bus that takes us into vanc. center sounds like the best bet. do you know if the senior pricing is for all seniors or only b.c. seniors?

it's BC Seniors only; according to Pacific Coach's website.

To each their own, but remember that the bus price doesn't include the ferry either, so add another $15 for that, so you're looking at $41.95 + $15 downtown to downtown. Based on the way it's charged, I suspect that the downtown dropoff occurs after the bus reaches the bus station, so you get transferred to a hotel shuttle at the bus depot in Vancouver.

Compare that with the $2.50 + $15 + $5.00 to do it on the city bus/Skytrain which is just as fast, and I just can't see the advantage of Pacific Coach. The only real advantage is your luggage goes straight through (although on the ferry, you can bag drop, and pick up on the other side).

I'd much rather take that savings and use it to buy the excellent breakfast buffet on one of the S-class (odd hour sailings) vessels. Remember to get to the buffet line up about 40 minutes out of Victoria to avoid the initial crush, and be in the buffet for the most scenic part of the journey.

Comparison:

Bus + Ferry + Bus/Skytrain: $22.50

Pacific Coach: $57

Float Plane: $130

Frankly I really don't care which way the OP transfers from Victoria but to be clear, all Pacific Coach Line Buses from Victoria make a stop at the Hotel Vancouver from where catching a cab to the Marriott to pick up their checked luggage is a breeze. Getting a cab from either the Vancouver Centre station or Waterfront station can be an issue. By using transit they have to schlep their luggage on to the ferry, take it for lunch in the buffet, schlep it off the ferry, then on to the transit bus and then again transfer it onto the Canada Line then get it out of whichever station they get off at.

Left to me I would be very happy to check my luggage with PCL in Victoria, sit in a comfortable coach seat for the whole journey and not have to handle my luggage until I got the Hotel Vancouver....to me that has real value.

Frankly I really don't care which way the OP transfers from Victoria but to be clear, all Pacific Coach Line Buses from Victoria make a stop at the Hotel Vancouver from where catching a cab to the Marriott to pick up their checked luggage is a breeze. Getting a cab from either the Vancouver Centre station or Waterfront station can be an issue. By using transit they have to schlep their luggage on to the ferry, take it for lunch in the buffet, schlep it off the ferry, then on to the transit bus and then again transfer it onto the Canada Line then get it out of whichever station they get off at.

Left to me I would be very happy to check my luggage with PCL in Victoria, sit in a comfortable coach seat for the whole journey and not have to handle my luggage until I got the Hotel Vancouver....to me that has real value.

you're absolutly correct. just to save a few dollars, not taking the bus maks no sense. my wife and i are both 70. i called pac bus today. they were supper nice. the station in victoria is a half block from our hotel. the hotel where the bus leaves us off in vanc, is not far from the marriot, so it's onlya short cab ride. pick up the luggage, then off to the cruise ship. $20 tops. by the way it's some kind of special fare day, so the total bus will be $82 for both. can't beat that. thanks everybody for you're help.

Wondering if they are traveling on a weekend this month - with the coast savers fare the passenger rate is down $5.00 per person so perhaps the bus company is passing on that savings.

Just a thought

Cheers

Dennis

Wondering if they are traveling on a weekend this month - with the coast savers fare the passenger rate is down $5.00 per person so perhaps the bus company is passing on that savings.

Just a thought

Cheers

Dennis

we're going on a wed july4th. i don't know why it is a special fare day.

There's no need to 'be clear' to me about riding the ferry, as I've done Victoria - Vancouver hundreds (probably closer to a thousand) trips.

Everything has its advantages and disadvantages; and people are free to pick whatever they like.

In my mind the Pacific Coach Line route no longer has any advantage at all over transit, with the opening of the Canada Line Skytrain into downtown; and the fact that PCL is now double in cost what it was just 10 years ago.

A few things to note in the differences;

• Pacific Coach Lines are no longer on every sailing, just the odd hour sailings, the transit system meets every sailing
  • You've never had to schlep your luggage on the ferry, there's a drop/pickup system that's been in place for 30+ years.
  • I think the bus ride on the Victoria side is much nicer on the #70, as it's a double decker, although it takes a few minutes longer
  • But the big one for me is the total cost for the local bus vs Pacific Coach is (excluding the ferry) is $7.50 vs $35 (and only $5 on weekends).

There's no need to 'be clear' to me about riding the ferry, as I've done Victoria - Vancouver hundreds (probably closer to a thousand) trips.

Don't take it personally, it's not becoming and it certainly wasn't directed toward you ....

"PCL is now double in cost what it was just 10 years ago.'

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that ferry fares are about double what they were 10 years ago.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that gas prices are higher now than 10 years ago.

How much more are we paying to take the bus than ten years ago - there have been what 3 fare increases in that time period and another one coming next year for cash sales which will likely apply to most tourists as they are one time users of the system.

Cheers

Dennis

"PCL is now double in cost what it was just 10 years ago.'

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that ferry fares are about double what they were 10 years ago.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that gas prices are higher now than 10 years ago.

How much more are we paying to take the bus than ten years ago - there have been what 3 fare increases in that time period and another one coming next year for cash sales which will likely apply to most tourists as they are one time users of the system.

I admit, not quite double, only a 75% increase. I'm not sure why you're trying to so to justify Pacific Coach; they've had by far the largest price increase since 2001:

Translink (metro Vancouver) 3 zone: $3.50 -> $5.00 (+42%)

BC Transit (metro Victoria) 2 zone: $2.50 -> $2.50 (as they went back to one zone systemwide)

BC Ferries foot passenger: $11.00 -> $15.50 (+41%)

Pacific Coach (excluding ferry): $20 -> $35 (+75%)

PCL are much less attractive now they only serve every other sailing (in 2001 only the 8pm sailing didn't have coach service), and the addition of the Canada Line Skytrain up Cambie street which speeds up Tsawwassen to downtown Vancouver immensely. In the past I ofter took Pacific Coach, especially if I was near Vancouver City Hall, as PCL went down Cambie, but there's just no reason any more.

The thing that get conveniently overlooked in the debate re PCL vs. transit is the real cost. TransClunks 2011 statements reflect revenue (transit operations only)from fares of $444.7m while expenses totaled some $816m and that is before transit operations were apportioned their share of some $70.4 of Corporate expenses and the $27.1m for transit police. So being kind to TransClunk and not charging transit with what could be as much as $46m as their proportionate share of Corporate expenses but charging it with the full cost of the police....there is a deficiency of almost $400m in transit operations. So who bears the brunt of the $400m....well we as taxpayers do.

If PCL runs up a deficit of a couple of million dollars for a few years....well they are out to business.

Now I realize that I am dealing with TransClunk in isolation but I suspect the numbers for BC Transit aren't much better. However the bottom line is TransClunk costs are much greater than then the fare box cost (income if you will) and does not have to turn a profit....PCL does and frankly provides a superior product, the day it doesn't they will be out of business.

Thanks PD - also some people have a problem with businesses making a profit while at the same time grumbling about the poor performance of their stock or pension plans.

PD - is Pacific Coach lines not driver owned?

With PCL - you board the bus on the ferry - luggage put underneath and retrieve it at your destination and then perhaps have to carry it a short distance to your hotel - you are also guaranteed a seat as I don't believe they are allow to have standees.

On the bus - you have to carry it on - hope that all the seats aren't already taken - then take it off and lug it over to the Canada Line station and then lug it onto the train and then get up and get it to lug it to your final destination which might be five or six blocks from the station.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks PD - also some people have a problem with businesses making a profit while at the same time grumbling about the poor performance of their stock or pension plans.

PD - is Pacific Coach lines not driver owned?

With PCL - you board the bus on the ferry - luggage put underneath and retrieve it at your destination and then perhaps have to carry it a short distance to your hotel - you are also guaranteed a seat as I don't believe they are allow to have standees.

On the bus - you have to carry it on - hope that all the seats aren't already taken - then take it off and lug it over to the Canada Line station and then lug it onto the train and then get up and get it to lug it to your final destination which might be five or six blocks from the station.

Cheers

Dennis

I am not sure who owns PCL, I think may have been a time that it was owned by some of the drivers but I am not sure that is still the case. Its roots go back to early 1920's and predates the BC Electric Buses, the BC Hydro Buses, the Urban Transit System and now the peoples albatross, TransClunk.

Hey, I was in big smoke all day, drove by your place twice on the way out to UBC and then again on the way back into downtown....I waved but didn't see you waving back.:)

Archived