Siem Reap, Cambodia

easy spirit

Interested in a private tour guide to see all the major sites around Angkor Wat, plus if possible, some sights out of the beaten path. Preferibly a flexible, knowledgable guide that can customize the tour to our likes.

Will have 4 full days to tour around. Prefers a 5* small, centrally located, boutique type hotel.

Any feedback, recommendations will be appreciated?

PD. Do not want to push my luck, but a Spanish speaking guide will be ideal. Sometimes what you wish for can become a reality (specially if you are willing to pay for it)

Interested in a private tour guide to see all the major sites around Angkor Wat, plus if possible, some sights out of the beaten path. Preferibly a flexible, knowledgable guide that can customize the tour to our likes.

Will have 4 full days to tour around. Prefers a 5* small, centrally located, boutique type hotel.

PD. Do not want to push my luck, but a Spanish speaking guide will be ideal. Sometimes what you wish for can become a reality (specially if you are willing to pay for it)

One of the best boutique hotels in the area is the FCC. Book the poolside rooms, you won't be disappointed. http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

There are complete tour package available from the hotel. I am sure they will customize it to your specifications. As for a Spanish speaking guide, you will just have to ask.

I have never used a package BUT I have certainly used their guides/drivers for various things in the 10-11 times I have stayed there (business in Cambodia).

4 full days is a LOT IMHO unless you are really into archaeology. You may want to look into taking the "fast boat" downriver to Phnom Penh.

One of the best boutique hotels in the area is the FCC. Book the poolside rooms, you won't be disappointed. http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

There are complete tour package available from the hotel. I am sure they will customize it to your specifications. As for a Spanish speaking guide, you will just have to ask.

I have never used a package BUT I have certainly used their guides/drivers for various things in the 10-11 times I have stayed there (business in Cambodia).

4 full days is a LOT IMHO unless you are really into archaeology. You may want to look into taking the "fast boat" downriver to Phnom Penh.

Thanks so much for your feedback. The fcccambodia looks very good & got a reasonable quote on it. How about the L Residence d'Angkor?

My main concern with a hotel besides its cleanliness (specially with the mosquitol situation in the area) will be location, ammenities & food selection with some good western options. My husband is NOT into Asian/Oriental type food & that could be a challenge in that part of the world.

Sorry ... its 4 days & 3 nights.... NOT into archaeology at all.

Will look into the "fast boat".... something very different from the tours I have been quoted so far.

Thanks so much for your feedback. The fcccambodia looks very good & got a reasonable quote on it. How about the L Residence d'Angkor?

My main concern with a hotel besides its cleanliness (specially with the mosquitol situation in the area) will be location, ammenities & food selection with some good western options. My husband is NOT into Asian/Oriental type food & that could be a challenge in that part of the world.

Sorry ... its 4 days & 3 nights.... NOT into archaeology at all.

Will look into the "fast boat".... something very different from the tours I have been quoted so far.

I'm with your husband. I don't like Oriental food except sushi and teppanyaki. Probably one of the few who eats at Outback Steakhouse in Beijing.

The FCC has VERY American food as well as oriental type food (it is NOT oriental food as you would find in a local Cambodian restaurant-more like Asian fusion). One reason I stay there is because you can get steak, pizza and hamburgers.

If you are not into archaeology, you will be "templed out" by day 2. I REALLY don't know what you will do for 4 days. I would be very, very bored. Even the first time I was in Siem Reap, two days was about all that I was interested. After that, same-o, same-o. How many temples can you visit???

If you are trying to arrange a tour, most won't suggest going to Phnom Penh. They want to keep the money in Siem Reap. But I personally think the boat trip is one of the better things to do in Cambodia. And Phnom Penh is one of my two favorite places in the world- the other being Homer, Alaska. I spent 3 years in and out of Cambodia turning a decripit apartment building into a boutique hotel. Then found out that I had to either joint venture the running of my hotel with an "approved" joint venture partner or have Cambodian money invested. I sold it to a Hong Kong based hotel consortium who does have an "approved" joint venture partner in Cambodia. I was very sad-I really wanted to live there part time.

Phnom Penh is a gritty, corrupt, totally fascinating place. Lots of history in the area-the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot based most of their destruction in Phnom Penh.

Really think this through about spending 4 days in Siem Reap. With that much time, there is much more to see in Cambodia than just the temples in Angkor.

If you have the chance visit one of the water villages, ie Kampong Pleuk (my spelling may be off a little) which is not so touristy as some. You don't say when you are going but if it's in the dry season you will be able to walk around the village which is usually well under water.

We just returned from a cruise in Asia and took an independent tour to Angkor Wat. We used Tony at Anntours.com. They were amazing and we'd highly recommed their tours!! They were very flexible to our needs and we stayed at a wonderful little boutique hotel called Viroth (it only had 7 rooms).

4 full days is a LOT IMHO unless you are really into archaeology. You may want to look into taking the "fast boat" downriver to Phnom Penh.[/i

It's great to have someone so knowledgeable on Siem Reap. We were there last year, and are planning on going back Feb 2013. We made a mistake the last time and found out to late our guide was only a driver and not licensed to take us thru the temples. We do love the temples. However I would appreciate more info on the boat to Phnom Penh. How long it takes, where do you pick it up, can you do a round trip in one day.

Hope I haven't asked too many questions, but will appreciate your input.

Originally Phnom Penh was included in my tour request, but after reading the tour description it said 5 hours from there to Siem Reap. Now after reading of a boat option going there will be a great idea as that much time in a car (even with A/C) was not my cup of tea. There were some questions concerning the boat trip in another post, so I look forward of someone answering those.

I might like the full 2 days temples touring, my husband... so... so.... That's why I wanted to give him some options for the other day.

We are going at the end of January 2013, no rainy season at that time so the suggested visit to a village is also a good choice.I really appreciate all the great comments & suggestions, specially those related to food. Already checked some hotel dining menus & hopefully my husband will be fine. When I said western I was referring more to international, mediterranean cuisine..... He doesn't even like sushi, teppanyaki is OK, his preferences are fresh fish (but cooked) a good filet mignon & some pasta.

Thanks also for the tour operator suggestion... will look into that.

Still no comments on the Residence d'Angkor hotel. Have to decide on the hotel, very shortly.

The fast boat from Siem Reap to PP takes about 4-6 hours. It is NOT a day trip. Actually, a few minutes more than the bus and about an hour more than taking a private car. But I think the trip is worth it as long as you get on a "good" boat. These are NOT cruise type boats nor do they meet many international safety standards. BUT the good boats do have life jackets, nice seats, usually a little balcony on the back, great air conditioning. Some even give you water and a snack.

But the real highlight, if you can physically do it, is to sit on the roof for part of the trip. What you can see about the REAL Cambodia is simply fascinating to me.

There is also a "ferry" type boat that is packed with backpackers going to/from Siem Reap. That boat you don't want to be on.

You definitely want to have your hotel (a GOOD hotel) make the arrangements. I have used TuTrang travel out of Can Tho, Vietnam for several trips from Siem Reap to PP. There are other private companies. TuTrang has sold most of their fast boats and gone into the "cruise" business-3 days/2 nights on the Mekong. But they will still run one of their very nice fast boats to Siem Reap if you do a charter (very inexpensive-with just two people, about $300, so grab some friends, split the cost and enjoy).

The boat dock is about 10 miles outside Siem Reap. You need a GOOD guide/driver from your hotel to get you through the throngs of people-locals and tourists that are arriving Siem Reap via water. LOTS of touts which a good guide/driver will take care of. I have just always had the hotel pick me up or drop me off.

Enjoy!!!

I'm with your husband. I don't like Oriental food except sushi and teppanyaki. Probably one of the few who eats at Outback Steakhouse in Beijing.

The FCC has VERY American food as well as oriental type food (it is NOT oriental food as you would find in a local Cambodian restaurant-more like Asian fusion). One reason I stay there is because you can get steak, pizza and hamburgers.

If you are not into archaeology, you will be "templed out" by day 2. I REALLY don't know what you will do for 4 days. I would be very, very bored. Even the first time I was in Siem Reap, two days was about all that I was interested. After that, same-o, same-o. How many temples can you visit???

If you are trying to arrange a tour, most won't suggest going to Phnom Penh. They want to keep the money in Siem Reap. But I personally think the boat trip is one of the better things to do in Cambodia. And Phnom Penh is one of my two favorite places in the world- the other being Homer, Alaska. I spent 3 years in and out of Cambodia turning a decripit apartment building into a boutique hotel. Then found out that I had to either joint venture the running of my hotel with an "approved" joint venture partner or have Cambodian money invested. I sold it to a Hong Kong based hotel consortium who does have an "approved" joint venture partner in Cambodia. I was very sad-I really wanted to live there part time.

Phnom Penh is a gritty, corrupt, totally fascinating place. Lots of history in the area-the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot based most of their destruction in Phnom Penh.

Really think this through about spending 4 days in Siem Reap. With that much time, there is much more to see in Cambodia than just the temples in Angkor.

Hello,

I agreed with you. After 2 days in Siem Reap, I completely had more than enough temples and ruins.

I stayed at Le Meridien. Highly recommend it! 5 star in asian standards. Europe standards it would be 6 stars.

Other than the temples & Angkor wat nothing much to see there as its VERY rural. But it is beautiful. A day to see it is more than enough. You can take an elephant ride during sunrise or sunset.

Some people on our group decided to see the "Killing Fields". They enjoyed it, but that isn't my thing.

Highlight of their tour is a restaurant were Angelina Jolie ate when she adopted her son, max:)

There are markets that sell beautiful silver pumpkins, elephants....that are reasonable & beautiful.

For a different perspective, we on the other hand can't wait to get back to Siem and re visit the Temples. It's like visiting Herculeum, Pompeii, Ephesus, the pyramids. The detail that has survived centuries is enough to bring us back.

Suggested reading Angkor by Dawn Rooney. For us it was tough reading but very worthwhile. The book is heavy so we copied pages and brought them instead of the book

We think one very important issue is to hire a licensed GUIDE, we made the mistake of having only a driver, who can not go into the temples with you.

The town of Siem at night is fun, dinners very reasonable, you can find totally American food or Cambodian easily. Foot massages with or without the fish, are as low as $2.

We stayed at Raffles, and were happy with it.

The only down side the heat and humidity. We were there in Feb. When we go back we will tour the same as we did the first time. Early a.m start 7a.m., noon snooze, return to the temples around 3 for around 3 hrs, then hotel refresh, and head for town for dinner and a massage.

lesley

Some people on our group decided to see the "Killing Fields". They enjoyed it, but that isn't my thing.

I'm curious because this is the second or third time someone has posted seeing the "killing fields" or being told they were around Siem Reap.

They ARE NOT!!!. What the movie was made about (true story) is all centered around Phnom Penh. There were people killed all over Cambodia during the Pol Pot regime but the huge amount of mass graves found and labeled the "Killing Fields" by Dith Pran himself were in the Phnom Penh area. While Dith Pran was from the Siem Reap area, the US backed Cambodian government of Lon Nol fought the hardest battles with Pol Pot around Phnom Penh. Dith Pran was in Phnom Penh when all of this happened.

There are stuptas commemorating the genocide that went on in Cambodia displaying skulls and bones all over Cambodia. There are groups still to this day trying to identify bones to let families know what happened to their relatives. But the true killing fields, where it is estimated over 1 million people were killed, are outside Phnom Penh.

It upsets the older generation that young tour guides, trying to sell their Angkor tours, are now claiming the famous "killing fields" of Cambodia are near Siem Reap. Most of these guides have absolutely no knowledge of the war or horrors of Cambodia in the 70's. There are very few left in Cambodia who were actually there. But if you ever run into a person that is 60+, you will hear the real stories.

I can't believe the tour spent time taking someone to the Red Piano and it being a highlight of the trip. Talk about a commission making venture. That is about as out of the norm for Cambodia as tours that go to Pho2000 in Saigon (the restaurant where Bill Clinton ate pho in 2000).

The group actually went to Phnom Penh. I wouldn't recommend it as it was a very hectic thing to do for the day. It took about 4-5 hrs each way. They choose to do that as they had been to Siem Reap previously and wanted to see something different.

The main site is really Angkor Wat other than that not much else. Although the resorts are a great place to relax & unwind.

I'm curious because this is the second or third time someone has posted seeing the "killing fields" or being told they were around Siem Reap.

They ARE NOT!!!. What the movie was made about (true story) is all centered around Phnom Penh. There were people killed all over Cambodia during the Pol Pot regime but the huge amount of mass graves found and labeled the "Killing Fields" by Dith Pran himself were in the Phnom Penh area. While Dith Pran was from the Siem Reap area, the US backed Cambodian government of Lon Nol fought the hardest battles with Pol Pot around Phnom Penh. Dith Pran was in Phnom Penh when all of this happened.

There are stuptas commemorating the genocide that went on in Cambodia displaying skulls and bones all over Cambodia. There are groups still to this day trying to identify bones to let families know what happened to their relatives. But the true killing fields, where it is estimated over 1 million people were killed, are outside Phnom Penh.

It upsets the older generation that young tour guides, trying to sell their Angkor tours, are now claiming the famous "killing fields" of Cambodia are near Siem Reap. Most of these guides have absolutely no knowledge of the war or horrors of Cambodia in the 70's. There are very few left in Cambodia who were actually there. But if you ever run into a person that is 60+, you will hear the real stories.

I can't believe the tour spent time taking someone to the Red Piano and it being a highlight of the trip. Talk about a commission making venture. That is about as out of the norm for Cambodia as tours that go to Pho2000 in Saigon (the restaurant where Bill Clinton ate pho in 2000).

Last year we decided to make the trip to siem reap and really enjoyed our hotel-the orient express. It wasn't in the center of town but was a quiet little oasis with wonderful service.

We also hired a guide- kim San based on online recommendations. He is also famous for giving the clue in the amazing race while in siem reap. While I am not sure if he can speak Spanish, he was a wonderful guide. He drove a well maintained Toyota suv with air conditioning and had touches like iced water in the back with some cold wipes. But the best part was he would always try to take you the best time to the temples and avoid the crowd. Even thru some special entrances that only vendors get to use.

Miriam

Last year we decided to make the trip to siem reap and really enjoyed our hotel-the orient express. It wasn't in the center of town but was a quiet little oasis with wonderful service.

We also hired a guide- kim San based on online recommendations. He is also famous for giving the clue in the amazing race while in siem reap. While I am not sure if he can speak Spanish, he was a wonderful guide. He drove a well maintained Toyota suv with air conditioning and had touches like iced water in the back with some cold wipes. But the best part was he would always try to take you the best time to the temples and avoid the crowd. Even thru some special entrances that only vendors get to use.

Miriam

Thanks so much for your feedback....

Apparently the hotel you stayed, the orient express, is the one we are leaning to. Good to know you had a good experience with it.

Regarding the tour guide.... if possible can you privately email me (tivoliny at yahoo dot com) his info, or at least where to look into.

I know that getting a spanish speaking guide in that part of the world will be quite a challenge, but no hurt in asking.

Miriam

Miriam, I am also interested in your guide! Was he able to take you into the temples, or did he drive you to the temples and let you tour them on your own? I also would like his web site or email.

lesley

The group actually went to Phnom Penh. I wouldn't recommend it as it was a very hectic thing to do for the day. It took about 4-5 hrs each way. They choose to do that as they had been to Siem Reap previously and wanted to see something different.

The main site is really Angkor Wat other than that not much else. Although the resorts are a great place to relax & unwind.

Thanks for clarifying that the group actually went to PP. There have been posts in this forum that Siem Reap tour guides have been telling people that the small stupta outside Siem Reap is the "killing fields" of the movie.

Ottawa24 and easy spirit: The guide's(Kim San) email is sourtkimsan at yahoo.com and can be found http://www.angkor-guides.com/siemreap/

Ottawa24: Kim San toured with us at all temples- drove us and went with us into the temples. Even walking up to the top of some of the temples with my 24 year old daughter when we chose not to. He tried to chose times when there were less people at some of temples or the best time for pictures. We liked him a lot and recommended him to our bangkok guide(another favourite we had that trip).

easy spirit: the orient express there keeps up with the other orient express hotels worldwide with an understated elegance. If you don't want to go to the large commercial dancing shows then see if you are there the nights they have their show at the orient express during dinner.

Please see my website for some of our pictures from Asia trip(we are sadly still editing some):

Miriam

Ottawa24 and easy spirit: The guide's(Kim San) email is sourtkimsan at yahoo.com and can be found http://www.angkor-guides.com/siemreap/

Ottawa24: Kim San toured with us at all temples- drove us and went with us into the temples. Even walking up to the top of some of the temples with my 24 year old daughter when we chose not to. He tried to chose times when there were less people at some of temples or the best time for pictures. We liked him a lot and recommended him to our bangkok guide(another favourite we had that trip).

easy spirit: the orient express there keeps up with the other orient express hotels worldwide with an understated elegance. If you don't want to go to the large commercial dancing shows then see if you are there the nights they have their show at the orient express during dinner.

Please see my website for some of our pictures from Asia trip(we are sadly still editing some):

Miriam

Miriam ... thanks so much for the guide info & the feedback regarding the hotel. Looking forward for our Asia trip next year. Will look into the dancing show, preferably at the hotel venue... have seen good reviews about it.

I noticed you are from Toronto Canada.... We have plans to tour some Canadian cities in a couple of weeks & Toronto will be one of them.

Ottawa24.... when is your trip to Angkor Wat?. Ours is from the 27-30th of January 2013

Thanks Miriam for the information as well as your pics. I will definitely contact Kim San. His website is very impressive. I think my search for a good guide is over. Just hope he is available.

Easy Spirit, we are taking Celebrity Feb 17 SE Asia cruise. We will be in Siem March 4-8. Hope you enjoy your trip to Canada. I live in S. Calif now but I lived in Toronto and still have family there.

lelsey

Thanks Miriam for the information as well as your pics. I will definitely contact Kim San. His website is very impressive. I think my search for a good guide is over. Just hope he is available.

Easy Spirit, we are taking Celebrity Feb 17 SE Asia cruise. We will be in Siem March 4-8. Hope you enjoy your trip to Canada. I live in S. Calif now but I lived in Toronto and still have family there.

lelsey

GREAT....You are taking the Celebrity cruise after we disembark. I think my search for a tour guide might be over also. Will contact Kim San very shortly.

Kim San dropped us off at a local market for shopping one evening. I bought a so called Ruby necklace for $80. Imagine my surprise when I came home and found not only that the rubies were real but they were selling them for $2000 here!

He also kindly took us to a very nice restaurant/store so we could get a boxed lunch for the flight to Bangkok.

He was in sharp contrast to our guide in Saigon who when the tour as outlined finished in half the contracted time ( 2 instead of 4 hours) wouldnt take us anywhere else as he was not contracted to do so!

Regarding hotels - cannot say anything bad about any of the Orient Express hotels worldwide. They are a little pricey but everything is very tasteful and the food is always excellent. One doesnt want to get sick while travelling.

Archived