QM2 - What do you like to do?

Alibobs

:)

This time next week I will be en route to Toronto to start my special birthday holiday which will culminate in my trip home on the QM2

I know this has been asked before but please indulge me.........what one thing do you like to do on the QM2?

I am looking forward to the sailaway from NY which I intend to do with a glass of champagne in my hand, after that I like dressing for dinner, walking on deck and just the ability to get away from it all and completely relax

There isn't just one thing that I like to do, there are many:

• Dressing for dinner.
  • Walking into a bar and having the staff remember me and my preferred drink.
  • Standing at the stern of the ship looking down at the sea and at the horizon. You need to go at night and during the day.
  • Making that first discretionary purchase in one of the shops.
  • That sense of achievement once everything is unpacked.
  • Meeting the table mates.
  • Overindulging during the first week. Calming things down during the second and third.
  • Ship-board gossip.

You missed one off !

There isn't just one thing that I like to do, there are many:

• Dressing for dinner.
  • Walking into a bar and having the staff remember me and my preferred drink.
  • Standing at the stern of the ship looking down at the sea and at the horizon. You need to go at night and during the day.
  • Making that first discretionary purchase in one of the shops.
  • That sense of achievement once everything is unpacked.
  • Meeting the table mates.
  • Overindulging during the first week. Calming things down during the second and third.
  • Ship-board gossip.
  • Enjoying the Pol Acker

Swimming on deck 8, when I am the only one in the pool, and preferably in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Any weather will do if the pool is not netted!:D

Pre-dinner drinks in the Commodore Club.

I enjoy all the dining, lounges, etc too but being in the ship construction field I really enjoy the experience of sailing on the greatest ocean liner ever built, her state of the art design, performance and technical features.

Here's some points of interest, many may already know or can add add'l details. QM2 currently is the only ocean liner in the world and largest ever built. There is more to the definition of an ocean liner other than its primary mission being point to point transit. Ocean liners built for regular transatlantic crossings have to be reinforced. QM2 has 1.1" thick hull plating vs a cruise ship normally around .7" and has a higher freeboard so she has 40% more steel than a similar sized cruise ship would. Her top speed is a little over 30 kts though she regularly transits between 20 and 23 kts. Her sleek bow and ship systems allow her to handle higher North Atlantic sea states without an adjustment in speed, a cruise ship would generally have to slow down by 10 kts or so for passenger comfort. She has 4 mermaid propulsion pods, 2 fixed and 2 that rotate 360 degrees eliminating the need for a rudder and in combination with 3 bow thrusters can manuever in tight areas without the assistance of tugs. She has a dynamic positioning system so she can also hover in place without needing to drop anchor.

That's just the major stuff, perhaps others can add more details if there's any interest. She's a pretty amazing ship and a pleasure to sail on.

When you sail out of NY head for the upper deck with drink in hand while she transits under the Verazzano Narrows bridge, there's only a 10ft clearance she looks like she's going to hit it. While underway visit the foredeck, the ships spare propeller blades are bolted to the deck, their size and construction are impressive. Also if you can visit the bridge the ships crew can explain all the ships features. When you get close to Southampton if you get up very early coming around the Isle of Wight is nice and actual docking in Southampton is a tight area and interesting watching the docking procedure.

Swimming on deck 8, when I am the only one in the pool, and preferably in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Any weather will do if the pool is not netted!:D

LadyL1, your favorite calls to mind a question I've been meaning to ask, and here seems as good a place as any: are the pools kept to a standard temperature, or, more to the point, are they warm enough? We had a wonderful time on our first cruise this past December (from Dubai, on another line), but the pools - even the indoor one - were freezing! I very much hope to swim on our late June crossing, if only in the Pavilion Pool, and will be disappointed if we're once again frozen out (although, if so, the spa pool does look inviting!)...

Champagne afternoon tea, pre dinner drinks in the Chart Room and post prandial drinks in the Commodore Club.

I have been thinking about this one... Would you say it is worth it? I may feel a bit of a lemon doing it by myself... :(

Although, I have the complimentary onboard credit that they gave me after the Hamburg thing, so it is sort of on Cunard...

On a formal night, before a pre-dinner martini in the Commodore Club, and again after dinner, before heading to the Commodore Club for an after dinner martini or three (there is a theme here)...

A slow walk around the Promenade on Deck 7...

With a pause here and there, to lean on the rail, watch the sun setting...

To look out over the ocean...

With friends...

On the Greatest Ocean Liner ever built.

I have been thinking about this one... Would you say it is worth it? I may feel a bit of a lemon doing it by myself... :(

Although, I have the complimentary onboard credit that they gave me after the Hamburg thing, so it is sort of on Cunard...

Definitely do it, better if there are two or more but even on your own it is special :)

Definitely do it, better if there are two or more but even on your own it is special :)

Oh... Go on then! ;)

(Lord... I don't take much convincing, do I? :eek: )

Without sounding like a complete novice... That is served in the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar? If so, do they have tables by the window?

Oh... Go on then! ;)

(Lord... I don't take much convincing, do I? :eek: )

Without sounding like a complete novice... That is served in the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar? If so, do they have tables by the window?

No it is in the Winter Garden and not by the window:)

She has 4 mermaid propulsion pods, 2 fixed and 2 that rotate 360 degrees eliminating the need for a rudder and in combination with 3 bow thrusters can manuever in tight areas without the assistance of tugs. She has a dynamic positioning system so she can also hover in place without needing to drop anchor. quote]

Wow love these details, Extreme Engineering is one of my favorite TV programs. Watching the Jubilie and some of the movements of the larger vessels, they must have similar, smaller, equipment.

Dynamic positioning system sounds like the ultimate bit of kit:cool:

LadyL1, your favorite calls to mind a question I've been meaning to ask, and here seems as good a place as any: are the pools kept to a standard temperature, or, more to the point, are they warm enough? We had a wonderful time on our first cruise this past December (from Dubai, on another line), but the pools - even the indoor one - were freezing! I very much hope to swim on our late June crossing, if only in the Pavilion Pool, and will be disappointed if we're once again frozen out (although, if so, the spa pool does look inviting!)...

I have found that the outside pool on deck 8 is generally between 22 & 25 degrees. You usually find the the family pool on deck 6 some degrees warmer. As this pool is so often devoid of children it is no problem to swim in it and it is deep enough. If you have had a particularly cold night (or crossing) the pool temperature might dip but you should be OK in June. The challenge can be getting out if the air temperature is lower and it is blowing a northerly!

The indoor pool is much smaller and always more populated.

All credit to Cunard as they certainly seem to do their best to keep the pools usable. I have even swam in the QV outside pool in December when in the North Sea. I had the pool to myself!;)

Have a great crossing and some good swims.

I like:

1. Dancing in the Queen's room

2. Soaking in the Canyon Ranch pool & steam room

3. Trivia quizes - as long as we team up with young people who know the current stuff.

4. The lectures

5. Cocktails before and after (everything!)

6. The foghorn

7. Meeting everyone (and I do try)

and most important:

8. My wife saying "thank you for booking this"

The excitement and anticipation of the voyage.

When one of the staff remembers you from a previous crossing.

A bottle of champagne in the Veuve Cliquot bar in the afternoon.

Visiting the kennels and having a chat with the dog owners.

Strolling on the promenade deck (it takes ages as we keep stopping to take in the view and the weather extremes).

The Chart Room cocktails pre-dinner.

People watching from the Chart Room on formal nights.

The lectures.

Making new friends, and meeting old ones.

The Britannia Restaurant, it always takes my breath away the first time I enter the dining room.

Breakfast in bed.

Switching my phone and other mobile devices off as I board and being out of touch with the rest of the world for 7 nights (TA).

Relaxing and totally winding down.

The balls, I love the Queens Room, watching the dancing and listening to the band.

Dressing up (I wear trousers nearly every other day of my life, I love the dressing up).

Hearing the fog horn during the night.

Having the balcony (sheltered) door open at night and hearing the sounds of the sea.

........... plus so many more.

Denise

Dressing up (I wear trousers nearly every other day of my life, I love the dressing up).

Oh Snoozy I am glad you signed your post Denise - as I read this I thought you were a man!

Oh Snoozy I am glad you signed your post Denise - as I read this I thought you were a man!

That is so funny. I'm definately a woman. My husband is laughing at me as I read this to him.

Denise (100% female)

:p

That is so funny. I'm definately a woman. My husband is laughing at me as I read this to him.

Denise (100% female)

:p

Well - I spent 23 years of my working life wearing a neat little pleated skirt!

Jimmy (100% male!)

:D:D:D

Well - I spent 23 years of my working life wearing a neat little pleated skirt!

Jimmy (100% male!)

:D:D:D

Please explain, my imagination is working overtime :rolleyes:

Archived