Footwear

jonsmum

Hi

I understand the smart casual dress code, but do women tend to wear heels in the evening? I'd imagine this could be a bit tricky if the weather isn't brilliant. Thanks

Only on dress-up night if you want to. There are lots of wonderful sparkly 'flats' you can get now for formal nights too!

Hi

I understand the smart casual dress code, but do women tend to wear heels in the evening? I'd imagine this could be a bit tricky if the weather isn't brilliant. Thanks

Are you a little bit concerned that if the seas are rough, the ship will rock or sway, making you loose your footing? Don't worry about that. If you can manage heels on land, you'll be fine with heels at sea. :D

I'd say most women wear heels of some kind most nights, but you will see nice flats and sandals as well. It partly depends on what your feet will stand.

I've never had an issue wearing heels at sea, but we've never had really rough weather in 25 + cruises, and I don't wear 4" heels.

Although I love 'cute' shoes, wear what works for you as far as being comfortable and safe. Many of us have foot issues and understand completely why someone wears more sensible shoes.

I don't wear heels in real life, and I sure am never going to wear them on a cruise ship. There are plenty of dressy flat shoes that will be perfectly sufficient for the evening on X, including on formal nights.

(BTW, note that many men aren't dressed formally at all on formal night; they are wearing business suits or even sport coats and ties.)

I love (and wear) heels whenever I can on a cruise. I have, however, been on more than one when there has been an announcement of rough seas... with a suggestion for the ladies to choose "appropriate shoes" for the evening. You know it's rough when you need those handrails in the hallways and the evening stage show is cancelled. I'm a crazy cruiser who loves a good rockin' and a rollin' at sea! I like to know I'm on a ship. Wildest weather has been the stretch between the Panama Canal and Aruba and the English Channel. The Med can be rough, too. Love it!

I have a sparkely pair of black wedge sandles that are about 3 inches high that are my go to shoes on formal nights. I also have several pair of Cole Hahn Nike Airfit pumps that are like wearing sneakers. If I am driving to a port I pack them all, if I am flying, I only pack the wedges and where them almost every night.

I wear heels or wedge sandals every night. My only problem is that might feet tend to swell during the hot days (and excessive salt) and have to be careful that the shoes I choose will be good to go for hours. ;) Not worried re ship movement tho.

You'll see a wide variety of shoes/sandals while cruising.

Archived