Vietnam visa via ship

mike@sea

Can anyone tell me how much the cruise lines usually charge for the Vietnam visa that is then being issued "on board" with the cruiseline´s help?

Any ideas on how it´s being done? Is there usually a face2face inspection the morning one arrives?

I´ll be on RCL´s Voyager in October and we will be calling in Phu My for the day.

Might it be better to get the Visa before the trip ( which is quite costly ) or is it cheaper/easier via the cruiseline ?

RCL writes:

"The ship will charge a one time nominal fee to the guests onboard account for guests securing a visa onboard. This visa fee includes a small processing charge by our local representative".

Thank´s

Mike

My recollection is that Princess charged us about $15 each for the Vietname visa. Might have been a little more, but somewhere in the vicinity

i recall a vaguely similar amount with another cruise line -might have been a little more as we had four calls in Vietnam.

Its more restrictive than a regular personal visa - it only covers entry & exit via the ship, so no good for instance if you're planning to fly out of Vietnam & catch up with the ship elsewhere. But for just a port of call it's fine.

In our case, passports were collected earlier in the cruise & we collected them, together with the visa slip, from a Vietnamese official in the ship's theatre ahead of our first Vietnamese port.

The officials boarded at an earlier port. Now that sounds like a pretty good job ;)

Definately very much easier & cheaper than fixing our own visa

JB :)

Hi,

We are possibly on the same cruise as you - Voyager, Singapore to Perth in October this year. I have been wondering the same thing re Visa's and emailed RCI today and got this response:

Thank you for your email.

Yes, Royal Caribbean do provide a Visa for Vietnam onboard the Ship. The cost is approximately $45.00USD per person.

I do hope this information helps, however, please don't hesitate to contact us further should you have any queries.

This is great because for us to get Visa's to Vietnam, will cost about triple or more!

Cheers,

Kirrarne

Thank you all very much for the information! Excatly what I wanted ! Will definitely do it via ship then, because it´s cheaper and takes less effort.

@Kirrarne: No, I will be on the previous cruise leaving from Tianjin. I will make sure the ship arrives safe and sound for your cruise then... ;-)

Some people are saying that the ship visa is only for people going on ship's tours and if going on a private tour you must obtain your visa before going on the cruise. Has anyone encountered this?

Some people are saying that the ship visa is only for people going on ship's tours and if going on a private tour you must obtain your visa before going on the cruise. Has anyone encountered this?

That is incorrect for Vietnam.

Keith

Thank you for this information Keith.

Question for John Bull:

Is it a long walk from where the tender lets you off in Halong Bay to where the taxi's pick you up for the Junk Cruise? Is it worth the $20-$25 charge to pick up at the tender spot? thanks

I agree with Keith. We took all private tours on our cruise through Vietnam. Used the visa that the ship provided. Be aware that if you are on a large cruise ship, you will dock rather far from Saigon. Midsize ships closer in, and smaller ships in the town center, a five minute ride from the Rex Hotel. You will have a fantastic time!

Thank you for this information Keith.

Question for John Bull:

Is it a long walk from where the tender lets you off in Halong Bay to where the taxi's pick you up for the Junk Cruise? Is it worth the $20-$25 charge to pick up at the tender spot? thanks

Aas Keith's post, your ship-issued visa is good regardless of whether you take a ship's tour.

There are several places where ships can berth or moor. And at least two areas where the junks are moored. We found touts at the pier where our tenders dropped. The tout arranged transport (his car + taxis) to & from our junk, just a two minute drive. This was included in the price of the junk, despite the low price.

But your ship may be some distance away, and if it ports in a restricted area it wouldn't surprise me if a tour operator had to pay handsomely for access - they do at some other Vietnamese ports.

So without knowing where you come ashore it's difficult for me to say, though USD20 to USD25 sounds heavy (per person?)

On this map, we were tendered to green B. Our junk was tied-up at green C. Many more junks were tied-up / moored at green A

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=H%E1%BA%A1+Long&daddr=H%E1%BA%A1+Long+to:H%E1%BA%A1+Long&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=20.949176,107.053356&spn=0.063164,0.078878&sll=20.957833,107.052026&sspn=0.03158,0.039439&geocode=Fe-fPwEd8CZhBg%3BFVK-PwEdVGphBg%3BFdvDPwEdy4VhBg&oq=Cai+Lan&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=15&z=14

Thanks John, I have looked at the google map, but it is not clear where you would be picked up. Did you have a long walk from where the tender dropped you off to where your taxi picked you up? I can see where there might be a charge at the other ports, but the tender pier doesn't look that far from the main road. Were the touts at the point where the pier ends or out on the main road? I cannot see where taxis might be. Thanks, Pat

Thank you all very much for the information! Excatly what I wanted ! Will definitely do it via ship then, because it´s cheaper and takes less effort.

@Kirrarne: No, I will be on the previous cruise leaving from Tianjin. I will make sure the ship arrives safe and sound for your cruise then... ;-)

Awesome! :D

Thanks John, I have looked at the google map, but it is not clear where you would be picked up. Did you have a long walk from where the tender dropped you off to where your taxi picked you up? I can see where there might be a charge at the other ports, but the tender pier doesn't look that far from the main road. Were the touts at the point where the pier ends or out on the main road? I cannot see where taxis might be. Thanks, Pat

I think this is a photo of our pier - looks like that might be folk heading back to a ship.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=H%E1%BA%A1+Long&daddr=H%E1%BA%A1+Long+to:H%E1%BA%A1+Long&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=20.952457,107.044693&spn=0.000005,0.002384&sll=20.957833,107.052026&sspn=0.03158,0.039439&geocode=Fe-fPwEd8CZhBg%3BFVK-PwEdVGphBg%3BFdvDPwEdy4VhBg&oq=Cai+Lan&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=15&z=19&layer=c&cbll=20.952457,107.044693&cbp=12,0,,0,0&photoid=po-59761003

And yes, its right by the road - no port charges. They'll only apply if a vehicle collects you inside an access-controlled port

The touts will be waiting at the pier - believe me, you won't need to go looking for them :D

Same applies at any tender pier, or inside/outside a port gate.

They'll have transport there, or call up cabs, to get you to a junk. No walking involved. Same applies at the end of the cruise, when the tout will magically appear to collect your money & transport you back to the ship/tender pier. Pay nothing up-front, pay the tout (USD or VND) at the end - it's the norm.

No cruise ships in the Bay on the google aerial view that I linked, hence no vehicles/activity at the pier.

Do bear in mind that ships can be moored in several parts of the Bay, or in the port. If you use a tender pier miles from the junks, or you are collected from inside the port, the cost will be reflected in the hiring charge.

But the touts will still be there ;)

BTW, for us - and I think for other cruise ships which drop anchor in the Bay - a big square pontoon was moored to the ship. So you step from ship to pontoon & from pontoon to shuttle boat. Makes disembarkation very easy, means several boats can load at the same time, & ship's junk cruises leave directly from the pontoon. So a quick & easy transfer to the pier, no lines. Shuttle was also run by local junks, very similar to the ones we hired, ship's own tenders weren't needed.

Are the ship's visas good for private tours that have overnight stays? (eg in hotels in Hanoi or Saigon) One person on our roll call suggested that a special visa was required for overnights off the ship.

This is a question that requires the right decision. I have never been Vietnam but we are going in November. The way I understand it the automatic ship visas assume that you stay overnight on the ship. Thus, trying to go on an overnight trip to Hanoi on a ship's visa is technically illegal, and these technicalities do matter. (That apparently also is the case in overnight junk excursions in Halong Bay). I would err on the side of caution, if you want to make the visit and your investment is important to you, and get a regular visa.

These matters are complicated everywhere. For example, in Russia a visitor is limited to tours by authorized operators if he/she does not have a regular Russian visa. In other words, you cannot stroll around on your own before/after your paid excursion. Yet if a visitor, including Americans, takes a Russian ferry boat from Helsinki to St. Petersburg on a four-day trip which includes two nights in a hotel, no visa is required. This is clearly done to promote the Russian line's business. (Google St. Peter Line for info). Similarly, many bus/rail tours from Helsinki to St. Petersburg may be done with a visa that the travel agency arranges for the whole group. That assumes that the group will enter and depart together; any deviation from that rule could cause big bureaucratic headaches.

Are the ship's visas good for private tours that have overnight stays? (eg in hotels in Hanoi or Saigon) One person on our roll call suggested that a special visa was required for overnights off the ship.

I do not know the answer to this one.

I would check with the cruise line on this one.

If in doubt do just apply for the visa ahead of time.

Keith

Chiffip: We cruised to Vietnam in December of 2009. Did all private tours and an overnight to Hanoi. No "special" visa needed....used what the ship issued. You do need to inform the front office of your plans, for on our ship, passports were held and landing cards were issued. You will need to pick up your passport for your stay overnight. Can't recommend the Metropole hotel in Hanoi enough...fabulous hotel and the tour we had was amazing. The three hour ride each way was a bit harrowing. You cruise in through a part of Halong Bay, the views are fantastic. What ever line you are cruising, I would recommend that you call them or your agent and double check if any changes visa wise have been made. (We sailed Seabourn)

Chiffip: We cruised to Vietnam in December of 2009. Did all private tours and an overnight to Hanoi. No "special" visa needed....used what the ship issued. You do need to inform the front office of your plans, for on our ship, passports were held and landing cards were issued. You will need to pick up your passport for your stay overnight. Can't recommend the Metropole hotel in Hanoi enough...fabulous hotel and the tour we had was amazing. The three hour ride each way was a bit harrowing. You cruise in through a part of Halong Bay, the views are fantastic. What ever line you are cruising, I would recommend that you call them or your agent and double check if any changes visa wise have been made. (We sailed Seabourn)

Thanks very much for your comments.

Archived