Can't decide...Aft balcony or Standard balcony

BusyFLmom

I am ready to book the Splendor Bermuda cruise for next April. I can't decide if I should try the aft balcony or the standard balcony :confused: There is only a $100 difference between the two. I have heard that you sacrfice privacy if you have an aft (looking to book Empress deck 7). So it has me leaning towards the standard 8C balcony on the same deck mid ship. Any insight on either would be extememly helpful!

Thank you!!

I am ready to book the Splendor Bermuda cruise for next April. I can't decide if I should try the aft balcony or the standard balcony :confused: There is only a $100 difference between the two. I have heard that you sacrfice privacy if you have an aft (looking to book Empress deck 7). So it has me leaning towards the standard 8C balcony on the same deck mid ship. Any insight on either would be extememly helpful!

Thank you!!

I would base in on location. Our last aft we never thought about the fact that camp carnival and the theatre and such are at the front and we were all the way in the back...the aft was OK, we didn't care for it, I felt much more movement...but just for the fact that being in the front or back puts you further away from things, a mid ship is better for us.

I can let you know soon. We have an aft for our Liberty sailing this Saturday. We were excited because it is a little bigger and I have heard the wind isn't as bad... We shall see!

You can't go wrong with either really!

We tried an aft once and didn't like it - went straight back to regular balcony. YES, you have more room; but everyone above can see you, we didn't care for that. If you wanted a romantic moment or even sit and have coffee in the buff (yikes) NO CAN DO. We also didn't like the remote location and the long walk at night to get to our room (after a day of sun and partying). Others have said that they had issues with cig butts or soot from the funnel on their afts; but we didn't experience that. You also feel the vibration from the turbines/engines etc at the aft location. Hope this helps - stick with your regular balcony and if you are Lido deck, lounge chair, main pool kind of folks - I will highly recommend a Lido deck balcony. Well worth the extra bucks!

Hope this helps - stick with your regular balcony and if you are Lido deck, lounge chair, main pool kind of folks - I will highly recommend a Lido deck balcony. Well worth the extra bucks!

I personally agree, although I haven't stayed in and aft, but would for the right one, I love Lido deck balconies!

Mindy

Thank you!!

I would have to agree with the majority. We have had the aft cabin and there are a few drawbacks. Our biggest issues was the feeling of constant vibration at night. If you have ever sat in the back of the main dining room, it is about the same, and we were up high (deck 7). Also, there is a lack of privacy from above. We did not have any problems with soot or trash. The extra size of the aft balcony is really a mute point, as most of the extra space is unused by the angle of the railings!

My recommendation would be to take that extra $100 and go to the steakhouse or have a spa treatment!!

We did the aft once based on what we read here. Our sentiments echo what the Texas Chick said including the Lido deck portion. That being said if it is a port intense court like a Med cruise, I might consider doing the aft again just so I can see everything one last time.

The aft wrap is the way to go if you can swing it. We did it once on the Freedom and it was amazing. Kinda pricey, but worth it especially if you have a large group going. It will hold about 20 people.

I love the aft. For me, it's just about looking at the wake of the ship.:)

There is definitely vibration (when docking) other than that I haven't ever noticed any.

I always make sure when booking any cabin that there are cabins above me (and not the lido deck)

We also had a lido balcony once that was very awesome as well :)

Basically I like mid ship to aft. I do not like being toward the front of the ship and I also prefer being on the starboard side of the ship when not aft facing. Why?? I have no clue, I just always book that side rather than the port side. :p

We had an aft once. It was neat to see the wake.. but very loud! I would chose a Lido Deck over an aft... but... we are trying an Aft Wrap for our upcoming cruise.. I have a feeling my preferences are about to change!

Thank you!!

May I make a suggestion? Have you heard of the premium balconies? They are also referred to as L shaped.

There are two of them available and they have reduced TODAY to $899.

Cabins 8446 8457 are available. See the difference in size of the balcony? You can also go to ....cruise line rooms dot com and see pictures of cabin 8457.

Yeah, prolly too late to chime in but I'm an AFT girl. We've done AFT on Triumph and Ecstasy but always Empress Deck. I've never heard the anchor, never thought it was "noisy" but it does get warm in the sunshine! Still...a most gorgeous view and great for sailaways because you can see from from not just one side! And, I agree with the L shape rooms..they are neat. We didn't get one because you can't have twin beds though. (Most of my cruising is done on an annual "girl's cruise" :D) AND, I would LOVE a wrap AFT. Those are to die for!

Yeah, prolly too late to chime in but I'm an AFT girl. We've done AFT on Triumph and Ecstasy but always Empress Deck. I've never heard the anchor, never thought it was "noisy" but it does get warm in the sunshine! Still...a most gorgeous view and great for sailaways because you can see from from not just one side! And, I agree with the L shape rooms..they are neat. We didn't get one because you can't have twin beds though. (Most of my cruising is done on an annual "girl's cruise" :D) AND, I would LOVE a wrap AFT. Those are to die for!

Just have to ask....

HAVE THE BOY WASHED AND BROUGHT TO MY ROOM???

I don't get it. LOL..explanation PLEASE:)

May I make a suggestion? Have you heard of the premium balconies? They are also referred to as L shaped.

There are two of them available and they have reduced TODAY to $899.

Cabins 8446 8457 are available. See the difference in size of the balcony? You can also go to ....cruise line rooms dot com and see pictures of cabin 8457.

I saw those...but I was concerned about it being right under the Lido deck. Would noise be a factor :confused:

I saw those...but I was concerned about it being right under the Lido deck. Would noise be a factor :confused:

I had asked this question also. Evidently there is an overhang over this deck which blocks out everything. The placement of these cabins are almost to the end of the lido deck, so I would assume that bedtime will not be disturbed at all. It is not where the movie screen is (that is at the other end of the ship)....everyone told me "no noise at all".

I have always wanted one of these cabins..everyone here raves about them and there are only a few of them and go fast.

I was finally able to book one (yipee) for January and I am sooooo excited. The regular balconies are 35ft. These are 75ft. for the same price. Easy access...elevators right around the corner. Only one flight up to the lido deck...stairs around the corner also..

Do a little research. If you are interested..post the question..."info on L shaped cabins". The kind people here will give you lots of info. Good luck in any decision you make.:)

I'm going to be honest with you. We got an aft view on the crown princess by booking a guarantee. Probably would not have booked it had we not gotten one that way. It did have full privacy and that was nice, but seriously very ashy on our balcony. If I had sunscreen on and I put my arm on the railing the ash would stick to my arms. Also had it on the chairs and probably the table too.

Did it keep us from enjoying the balcony? No. I have also heard that others who have had aft balconies have not had this problem. I think it varies widely depending on what ship you book.

We did love the aft view and it truly was something gorgeous to look at. However, at times, specifically in port we missed our side balcony and watching the pier runners etc.

Honestly I think we will book the aft wrap next. Best of both worlds.

If you have never sailed on an aft balcony, I think it is something you should do. It's a great experience, you won't dislike it.

We have done the aft on Carnival Glory - LOVED IT - but am I stuck now on only aft's - no. As long as you don't have to pay extra for it - go for it, but unfortunately Carnival does charge you extra for an aft (Royal Carribean does not YET).

Try it - see if you like it!

I have had an aft balcony on the emerald princess. The balcony was HUGE, but I woke up every morning seasick. I now find I can't even have a room anywhere in the Aft.

Prior to this, I had a regular balcony on Panorama deck on the Liberty. Those are now my favorite. Nothing better than walking out the door onto the deck. So much so, I have one booked on the Glory next March.

CJ

We've done an aft balcony once. Agree, no privacy and on a warm day sailing into the wind, there is no breeze back there to cool you off. We are now standard/extended balcony cruisers, unless we are on a Fantasy class ship. Then it is OV.

The regular balconies are 35ft. These are 75ft. for the same price. :)

Is this right? I've read that Standard balconies are 6'X10'; Extended balconies are 8'X10'; and a cabin like 7258 on the Pride is 8'X30'.

The scale on the Splendor Deck Plan looks like this cabin's balcony would be approx 6'X30'. Let us know what you find out when you return.

Is this right? I've read that Standard balconies are 6'X10'; Extended balconies are 8'X10'; and a cabin like 7258 on the Pride is 8'X30'.

The scale on the Splendor Deck Plan looks like this cabin's balcony would be approx 6'X30'. Let us know what you find out when you return.

Ocean View with Standard Balcony

Categories: 8A 8B 8C 8D 8E 8F

220 square feet total

Stateroom

185 square feet

Balcony

35 square feet

Balcony (8446 8457)

75 square feet

Window

4' W x 4' H

This is the Splendor....did you want me to check anything for you?

Archived