Keeping in touch with home whilst on board

magpieman

Hi

We are due to sail on the Ventura on 17th June for our first cruise and I would like to keep in touch with our family to let them know what we are doing etc., but I don't want to pay the hefty internet connection fees that P&O charge.

I think I read somewhere that you can access the P&O website from the ship for free, is that correct?

If so is it possible to create a private discussion just for my family or do I have to post on the forum for the whole world to read?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Yes you can access the P&O website at no cost and this includes the community/forum section. You can send a PM to any other registered member or you can create a closed group.

Brian

I have now set up a closed group as part of the community pages on the P&O website and use it every cruise. It's completely free.

• go to www.pocruises.co.uk
  • click on the community tab
  • click on the group tab
  • click on create group
  • choose a closed or general group.
  • follow the instructions
  • the members of the group will also have to register and ask to join your group.

Hope that helps :)

many people get their family and friends to join the P&O forum then use the WALL to post messages back and forth with them for free... or you can blog or even set up a GROUP.. just for friends and family to log into.. BUT there are times the satalite link up dosnt work.. so do warn them you may not be in able to log in...

If its your first cruise then I would have a bit of a guess and say you will be having too good a time that you will not be bothered contacting anyone back home and that internet will not be on your mind.

When I go I take my laptop for photo storage and just switch off the mobile and forget about keeping family and friends updated. Cruises are so action packed and full of surprises that on your first one you will be always doing something.

If its your first cruise then I would have a bit of a guess and say you will be having too good a time that you will not be bothered contacting anyone back home and that internet will not be on your mind.

When I go I take my laptop for photo storage and just switch off the mobile and forget about keeping family and friends updated. Cruises are so action packed and full of surprises that on your first one you will be always doing something.

I've retired so don't need to keep in touch with work but however much I'm enjoying the cruise I also need to be accessible to those at home and for me to keep informed as I have elderly relatives and pets, and also house-sitters who always want some way of contact. If I'm using the website, I can do it at a time to suit me.

Archived