Ripped-Off in Infinity's Jewelry Store

madcitymaven

They only sell basic stuff like ipods and chargers, they don't sell computers. It is not a full apple store, more of a mac book suite where you can use their notebooks at an extortionate rate.

On the Eclipse a few weeks ago, they were offering a little laptop Air. But when I added on the VAT etc. it was the same price in the UK.... and I don't like smuggling stuff!!! Might as well buy it here!!

Thank you.;)

Based on the idea of not being able to return something easy, I've decided not to buy onboard,. On the other hand, with the apple store back home I have the ability to return it anytime without a problem, plus I find the local apple store to be a very helpful resource. I am looking at the Macbook Pro to purchase before I graduate next spring. I do not know if it is offered onboard, regardless I'm not buying. I have plenty of time to shop, just looking at all my options.

• 4 weeks later...
I purchased an emerald necklace for my wife on our recent Infinity South America/Panama Canal cruise for approximately $3,000. We purchased it directly from the "emerald expert" who Celebrity had onboard as a lecturer about how to buy Colombian emeralds without getting ripped-off. We felt that purchasing this necklace onboard with X's expert was probably safer than making a purchase at a jewelry store in Cartagena. X's expert gave us an appraisal form showing the emerald necklace's appraised value at just over $5,200, which made us feel more comfortable with our purchase.

When we returned home from the cruise, I wanted to get a local appraisal on this purchase and was horrified when it showed a value of just over $1,000.

Now, either one of two things are possible: 1) the local appraisal is inaccurate, or 2) we were ripped-off by the sale from X's emerald expert onboard Infinity's jewelry store.

While I realize it's most highly unlikely, if it's #2 above, does anyone have experience in pursuing any kind of recourse with X? At this juncture, I don't feel I can ever trust making a significant purchase onboard any of their ships again.

Celebrity surely does not promote any jewelry store, and much less allow someone on board to both lecture and sell to you, without a "money-back" agreement in cases like yours. It could have been a poor appraisal that you received from your local appraiser, and you may need to get a second appraisal from a certified appraiser to satisfy the requirements for refund, but Celebrity will DEFINITELY intervene to get your money back in case of your having been radically overcharged.

This isn't just Celebrity being "nice" (which they are). They have a legal obligation to back up any recommendations they make. They cannot afford to be letting people sell to you on board and the rip you off.

The shops on board are tarted up gift shop trying to make money. Never rely on a sales person to advise you impartially. They will gently tell you "these are the gifts you are looking for" ...move along, move along.

Know the product you want before you buy. Ok if its fairly low cost and you want an inexpensive gift then fine. However when you go shopping for expensive jewelery, watches etc you got to be able to spot genuine articles from replicas, imperfections in stones, gold from gold plate, weights, cuts, etchings etc. Know the price at home first, stick to your budget and be prepared to walk away. Better to keep the money you bring that walk off with something you will regret. There will always be jewelers and another day to try again.

Archived