Ripped-Off in Infinity's Jewelry Store

madcitymaven

I purchased an emerald necklace for my wife on our recent Infinity South America/Panama Canal cruise for approximately $3,000. We purchased it directly from the "emerald expert" who Celebrity had onboard as a lecturer about how to buy Colombian emeralds without getting ripped-off. We felt that purchasing this necklace onboard with X's expert was probably safer than making a purchase at a jewelry store in Cartagena. X's expert gave us an appraisal form showing the emerald necklace's appraised value at just over $5,200, which made us feel more comfortable with our purchase.

When we returned home from the cruise, I wanted to get a local appraisal on this purchase and was horrified when it showed a value of just over $1,000.

Now, either one of two things are possible: 1) the local appraisal is inaccurate, or 2) we were ripped-off by the sale from X's emerald expert onboard Infinity's jewelry store.

While I realize it's most highly unlikely, if it's #2 above, does anyone have experience in pursuing any kind of recourse with X? At this juncture, I don't feel I can ever trust making a significant purchase onboard any of their ships again.

Was your appraisal for retail or wholesale value? Did the appraiser agree with the size and cut and fact it was a Columbian emerald? You haven't given much information, only one person's opinion of the value.

Was the appraisal done for insurance purposes.

Have you contacted Celebrity about the problem? My DW had a problem with an item purchased in a "recommended" store in St Thomas. Received a form and returned the item for a full refund without a problem. I don't believe that "buyers remorse" in and of itself is a justified reason for a return. "Buyer Beware" has been voiced many, many times on these boards. One should always do their homework before making a major purchase. Remember, the people in the shops are there to make sales. The shops are operated by a private contractor, not Celebrity. Was this "expert" a Celebrity employee? You might have also experienced a problem with the person who did the appraisal back home. How qualified are they to appraise emeralds? Do they hold any certifications? I've known cases where a local jeweler gave a low ball appraisal just to say to the customer that they would have done better" buying from me". Hope it all works out for you.

Was your appraisal for retail or wholesale value? Did the appraiser agree with the size and cut and fact it was a Columbian emerald? You haven't given much information, only one person's opinion of the value.

Was the appraisal done for insurance purposes.

Excellent questions. Was the appraisal done by a registered, independent appraiser, or by a jewellery store appraiser? It can make all the difference in the world to the amount at which your item is valued.

When you purchased the necklace onboard, you should have been given a document describing the purchase - total weight, color etc. You would then compare this with the description of the appraisal. Before going back to Celebrity, perhaps it is worth obtaining another appraisal.

Good Luck.

The lesson here is know what you would pay for a comparable item here in the U.S. before attempting to purchase something either on the ship or at a jewelry store at a port of call. Over the years I have purchased jewelry in St. Thomas and St. Maarten, but I knew what I'd pay for those same items here in Maryland. It's very easy to get caught up in the excitement of buying a souvenier while traveling, and it's very easy to be taken advantage of.

The lesson here is know what you would pay for a comparable item here in the U.S. before attempting to purchase something either on the ship or at a jewelry store at a port of call. Over the years I have purchased jewelry in St. Thomas and St. Maarten, but I knew what I'd pay for those same items here in Maryland. It's very easy to get caught up in the excitement of buying a souvenier while traveling, and it's very easy to be taken advantage of.

This is why I stopped buying jewelry other then a jeweler that I know in my neighborhood. Shopping in St Thomas & the ships use to be good buys years ago not any more.

Had a problem last year with a earrings bought on board the summit. It fell apart the first time my wife tried to wear it. Celebrity wouldn't stand behind it and basically passed the buck and said "it is a private contractor that sells the jewelry." I just threatened to cancel the entire bill for the cruise until it was fixed (money refunded) to my satisfaction. That worked but they are a mess to deal with. We are going on another cruise in a month and I will definitely not purchase anything other than a soda!!!!!

I purchased an emerald necklace for my wife on our recent Infinity South America/Panama Canal cruise for approximately $3,000. We purchased it directly from the "emerald expert" who Celebrity had onboard as a lecturer about how to buy Colombian emeralds without getting ripped-off. We felt that purchasing this necklace onboard with X's expert was probably safer than making a purchase at a jewelry store in Cartagena. X's expert gave us an appraisal form showing the emerald necklace's appraised value at just over $5,200, which made us feel more comfortable with our purchase.

When we returned home from the cruise, I wanted to get a local appraisal on this purchase and was horrified when it showed a value of just over $1,000.

Now, either one of two things are possible: 1) the local appraisal is inaccurate, or 2) we were ripped-off by the sale from X's emerald expert onboard Infinity's jewelry store.

While I realize it's most highly unlikely, if it's #2 above, does anyone have experience in pursuing any kind of recourse with X? At this juncture, I don't feel I can ever trust making a significant purchase onboard any of their ships again.

You broke 2 basic rules of buying -

1) If you don't know anything about a product, don't buy it;

2) If you don't know anything about the "expert" who is guiding your purchase, don't buy it.

I do not see where X owes you anything.

DON

who cares how much it was does it look good on her we all get ripped off because we arn't them they control the cost.Look when you take a gold bracelet to get money they give 120.00 bucks for 14kar.gold but you paid 3000.00 for it go figure.

They buy it as scrap, you buy it as a must have piece of jewelry. They pay "melt", you pay as much as the market will allow. Same is true with coins, stamps, antiques, etc..

Let the buyer beware.

If you were enamored with the piece of jewelry and purchased it because of its beauty than enjoy it.

What you describe (a item with no defects) does not qualify for a refund.

I see nothing done wrong on Celebrity's part.

I cannot tell you how many pieces of artwork I purchased from Westpark Galleries onboard X with apprasials double the amount I paid and found out the art was basically worthless.

It is still hanging on the wall and beautiful and since I did not do my due dilligence, so be it!

Just another thought as this happened to someone I know. They took a ring in for cleaning and repair on the claws. A couple of years later they took the ring to another jeweller for an up-graded appraisal. They had the origional paper with the colour and quality of the ring. Turns out that it was not the same diamond. The only time the ring was out of the wife's sight was when it was left for the repair. They found out they weren't the only ones who this jeweller did this to. He was swapping out high end diamonds for cheaper ones. He was long gone and they had no proof. Is it possible that the jeweller you went to back home saw a great Emerald and switched it out hoping you would believe the ship mislead you? Just a thought, you may never know for sure.

I had a problem on the Summit ....I could not get an appraisal. Actually walked down the last night of the cruise in my bare feet after getting a call that they couldn't give me an appraisal. I was already in bed. Got one but made me very uncomfortable. Made me regret buying from them. Also waiting for "real" appraisal....not thinking I will get it.

i can't believe, actually I can believe the huge amounts of people taken in when it comes to buying expensive items. Alway, Always, Always know your product. Go and research it at home in a trusted environment where you can hold, look, feel and question it until you know every detail and you can spot a fake or imperfect versions. Know the worth and values and what affects the pricing. Only then are you able to make a good judgment call. Did you know that most of the ships recommended jewelers pay up to $25,000 for promotion with cruise lines? Research the shops before you leave home on that thing called the internet. Know who is reputable. Read other peoples stories.

I have bought jewelery from many places including St Thomas and I got some decent stuff at good prices, because I knew exactly what I wanted. I never buy the rubbish on board a ship. I have walked away without purchasing many times and I am not taken in by the sales patter, the come in for a cold drink or other marketing techniques that fool a lot of people.

1) Always do your homework. Research the goods and the sellers. Know exactly what you are buying.

2) If it is too good to be true it normally is. Be prepared to walk away.

3) You get nothing for nothing. Quality costs. A starting price for a Rolex watch in St Thomas is around $4000 and that is tax free too. Don't expect to find the genuine article for less.

4) Obtain an international garuntee.

5) Haggle the price, most items have a margin in their price for haggling. As in point 1 know what the item should cost and threaten to leave otherwise.

FixIt's advice is right on the bulls eye. Do not allow yourself to be "schmoozed" by the pretty smiles and glib sales talk.

You climbed the gangway for a cruise, a voyage, the sunrises and sunsets - not a shopping extravaganza. Certainly not one where you are virtually placing large sums of your hard-earned money at risk.

Yes Virginia, there are crooks on land and at sea. People with no conscience who will bilk young and old alike with no qualms of conscience.

"Recommended stores"? Please, give me a break! That is cruise line lingo for "spend your money here so we get a rake-off." It's a lot of bilge, people.

Three cruises ago (I am an avid photographer) I witnessed a guy spend a huge amount of money on a lens. Having seen me snapping away he asked my opinion. After telling him about the perils of purchasing "gray market" goods, I simply said this to him: "Pal, you are a long way from home. If something goes wrong and you need to return it, St. Thomas is more than a subway ride away."

Buyers beware! Spending thousands of dollars for jewelry, etc. on a ship or in a port is risky business.

Anybody remember the dreaded Art Auction scandals???

I rest my case!

It is difficult to "know" exactly what you are buying, because jewellery is a Blind Item. You may feel the weight of the gold and know if it is 14 or 18 kt. You see the stones, may think the colour is good, but can't see the quality.

Having said that, buying jewellery is an emotional experience. You buy something because you love it. You love the design (which has value). It is very unlikely that you will see the exact piece at a jeweller at home, and even if you did, you do not know if the quality is the same.

So, if you love it. If the price is acceptable to you. If you or your loved one will be happy wearing it, I say Go for it!

Many years ago, in Aruba, I was choosing between two gold bracelets with coloured stones. One was larger and heavier and 40%off. Friends said to buy that one. The other one, being only 10% off cost more, was smaller but my husband said the colour of the stones was richer and the smaller bracelet looked better on my small wrist. Maybe I didn't get the better "deal", but we were happy with our choice.

Enjoy whatever you buy. That is the most important thing!

One other thing to consider is with Emeralds in general. They are often enhanced with fillers to cover up fractures. So appraisals can be harder to verify. But that's one reason not to buy them at all or be aware of the fracture issue.

Fracture Filling

Because emerald is so likely to have fractures, suppliers often fill the fractures with non-gem material. This masks the flaws and improves the appearance of the stone, making it more salable.

http://jcrs.com/newsletters/2007/2007_11.htm

This might help.

A few years ago I stupidly purchased a bracelet in a jewelry store in Cozumel. I took it to a local jeweler to have some links removed so it would fit better on my skinny wrist. The jeweler said it was not silver and the stones were glass.

I had put the purchase on my credit card. I called the credit card company and they told me to get a formal appraisal for the bracelet and then file a complaint with them. They went back to the merchant and credited me the difference between the appraisal and the price I paid.

If the OP has used a credit card, this might be the way to go.

Jewelry salespeople don't sell you a $5K piece of jewelry for $3K because you drive such a hard bargain, are such nice people, or because it is the 'end of the season". Most of them are highly leveraged salespeople who get paid on the sale and/or on the profit margin on each deal. A lot of the product that you see in the Caribbean stores is actually on 'consignment'.

Instead, they sell you a piece of jewelry that may actually have a retail value of what you are paying (retail, not resale as the op mentioned)-If you are fortunate. Oftentimes the retail is much less-based quality of the piece and market.

And to make you feel like an absolute hero and the smartest jewelry buyer this side of the equator they give you an appraisal certificate for $5K, $7K...really for whatever amount they feel is necessary to clinch the deal.

After all, they probably will not see you ever again.

Those on board shopping experts are sales people that get paid to promote merchants that paid a fee to participate. The so called guarantee is worthless. It does not guarantee the cheapest, best or lowest price. Basically all it does it claim that you will get the product that you buy and not a imitation. The buyer sheet that you register and turn in basically is a survey form to either help promote getting stores to participate or help male sure that the shopping experts are getting or earning their commissions.

I had stuff appraised by a gemologist, paid a fee to do so. They are hard to find as not many jewelry stores have one that qualifies for the guarantee. Found out that what we bought was not really the bargain we thought it was. Good news was that we got real gems and not fake. He showed us and told us of many horror stories about people really over paying but had no recourse because the guarantee is worthless for the reasons stated above. Take time to read the buyers guarantee to analyse what it really spells out and not what you want it to or what the on board shopper wants you to believe it does.

Archived