Ripped-Off in Infinity's Jewelry Store

madcitymaven

Maybe am wrong, but I think that most of the posters here talking of value and evaluations, are men!

Women see something they like and can afford and they buy it! The only jewellery I ever had evaluated are my engagement and wedding rings. They are insured (itemized). All my other jewellery is much less expensive and we have never evaluated anything else. Some may have been overpriced, but if I take into consideration the wearing and enjoyment, that is priceless!!!!

If I see something I want to buy onboard, I always go to the internet and research the item to see what it sells for.

My friend recently purchased a watch on board and didnt do that. She went to the internet after the fact and found if 20% less on line. Ultimately the store refunded her the 20%.

AS many people said buyer beware.

If I see something I want to buy onboard, I always go to the internet and research the item to see what it sells for.

My friend recently purchased a watch on board and didnt do that. She went to the internet after the fact and found if 20% less on line. Ultimately the store refunded her the 20%.

AS many people said buyer beware.

Very good advice. While on MIL my DW saw an Effy bracelet she like. Checked price on the Internet and found it for $100 less. Showed price to the on board store and they said that they didn't match Internet prices, but would match if we saw it in a store. Stopped in an Effy store in Grand Cayman and saw the bracelet at the reduced price. Asked manager to write the price on a business card. I showed the card to the on board shop manager and he matched the price.

there is a bit of a difference here -- the OP purchased from on of the on-board shops (if I read it correctly) not on shore. So no credit card (probably) as it was undoubtedly part of the on board SeaPass account. That adds one layer of complexity to attempting to get the credit card company into it. This was not one of the "recommended stores" -- it was actually on the ship. The shops on board are operated by contractors, not by Celebrity, but the money is paid to Celebrity -- I don't know how that would affect any involvement by the credit card company.

there is a bit of a difference here -- the OP purchased from on of the on-board shops (if I read it correctly) not on shore. So no credit card (probably) as it was undoubtedly part of the on board SeaPass account. That adds one layer of complexity to attempting to get the credit card company into it. This was not one of the "recommended stores" -- it was actually on the ship. The shops on board are operated by contractors, not by Celebrity, but the money is paid to Celebrity -- I don't know how that would affect any involvement by the credit card company.

Dispute the entire charge, if you can't get a portion of it blocked. That might even get Celebrity to work on the side of the person who bought the jewelry.

Frankly, if I had an appraisal from a licensed jewelry appraiser that was for $1,000 less than I paid, I'd fight tooth and nail for justice. I could maybe accept a few hundred dollars difference in the appraisal and the ship's price, but $1,000 is a whole bunch of money. It's one-third of the price of the piece.

I'm fairly certain that if the OP disputes the entire charge to his sea pass because of this one item and has irrefutable documentation, Celebrity is going to push their vendor to give the OP a refund. It's just a matter of perseverance.

BTW, I'm a woman and I'm just as ready to fight for my consumer rights as any man, maybe more so. :)

Question - Was the appraisal paid for? If not, that is what the appraisal is worth as a proper and thorough appraisal by a certified, professional appraiser will not be free.

Question - Was the appraisal paid for? If not, that is what the appraisal is worth as a proper and thorough appraisal by a certified, professional appraiser will not be free.

This is exactly correct. I wouldn't put any stock in an appraisal given by the jewelry vendor on any cruise ship, or even at a jewelry store at a port of call. When I needed my jewelry appraised for insurance purposes, I had it done by our jeweler, who is also a certified gemologist, who is qualified to do appraisals. I believe the charge for that appraisal was based on a percentage of the total value of my jewelry. Fortunately for me, I didn't have that much....;):)

Been in the colored gemstone business about 20 years, few things to keep in mind in my experience

1. Under normal conditions usually will take ~10 years before jewelry/gemstones/diamonds will appreciate enough to you to get your money back on a purchase, and that's assuming you bought it at a good price

2. If you wish to have your jewelry appraised, be careful to find a qualified independent appraiser, one who is not affiliated with any jewelry seller. Many people are surprised to know that there are no laws governing who can appraise jewelry.

WARNING:

In most states there are no laws regulating who can appraise jewelry. Anyone can "hang out a shingle" and call himself an appraiser. Don't be afraid to ask about the appraiser's credentials and affiliations. A qualified appraiser should be a G.I.A. Graduate Gemologist, and also have a current affiliation with one or more of the three most vigilant national appraisal societies (ISA, ASA and/or NAJA).

No One Who Sells Jewelry Can Fairly Appraise The Jewelry Sold By A Competitor. Appraisals and certifications should always be done by neutral third parties whose business is certification or appraisals, NOT selling jewelry. Appraisals done by jewelers (even ones that are GIA Graduate Gemologists), really shouldn't be used for anything other than for insurance purposes. If you want a true appraisal, make sure the appraiser is a member of ISA, ASA and/or NAJA

If you think you're getting a bargain onboard, you're probably not. What you're buying is convenience of purchasing onboard. Its like the Tanzanite International or Diamond International or any of those chains in the Caribbean. you're not going to find a bargain price there, no matter what they tell you

Been in the colored gemstone business about 20 years, few things to keep in mind in my experience

1. Under normal conditions usually will take ~10 years before jewelry/gemstones/diamonds will appreciate enough to you to get your money back on a purchase, and that's assuming you bought it at a good price

2. If you wish to have your jewelry appraised, be careful to find a qualified independent appraiser, one who is not affiliated with any jewelry seller. Many people are surprised to know that there are no laws governing who can appraise jewelry.

WARNING:

In most states there are no laws regulating who can appraise jewelry. Anyone can "hang out a shingle" and call himself an appraiser. Don't be afraid to ask about the appraiser's credentials and affiliations. A qualified appraiser should be a G.I.A. Graduate Gemologist, and also have a current affiliation with one or more of the three most vigilant national appraisal societies (ISA, ASA and/or NAJA).

No One Who Sells Jewelry Can Fairly Appraise The Jewelry Sold By A Competitor. Appraisals and certifications should always be done by neutral third parties whose business is certification or appraisals, NOT selling jewelry. Appraisals done by jewelers (even ones that are GIA Graduate Gemologists), really shouldn't be used for anything other than for insurance purposes. If you want a true appraisal, make sure the appraiser is a member of ISA, ASA and/or NAJA

If you think you're getting a bargain onboard, you're probably not. What you're buying is convenience of purchasing onboard. Its like the Tanzanite International or Diamond International or any of those chains in the Caribbean. you're not going to find a bargain price there, no matter what they tell you

I live in Texas and appraisers are certified by the state.

When I lived in New Jersey and practiced in the field of Estates and Probate, jewelry appraisers, who were paid a fee for their appraisals, would always ask if the appraisals were for death tax purposes or for sale purposes. There was a significant difference in valuation depending upon the reason for the appraisal. ;)

Never the less, a signed appraisal from a certified appraiser has more weight than an oral quote from the guy behind the counter at Zales.

Very good advice. While on MIL my DW saw an Effy bracelet she like. Checked price on the Internet and found it for $100 less. Showed price to the on board store and they said that they didn't match Internet prices, but would match if we saw it in a store. Stopped in an Effy store in Grand Cayman and saw the bracelet at the reduced price. Asked manager to write the price on a business card. I showed the card to the on board shop manager and he matched the price.

Well, I think this is where I would have bought the bracelet from the Effy shop in GC, that was giving me a fair price in the first place, unless I had a big OBC I needed to spend.

Well, I think this is where I would have bought the bracelet from the Effy shop in GC, that was giving me a fair price in the first place, unless I had a big OBC I needed to spend.

I agree. While I'm not a big jewelry purchaser, when I am shopping for other items, like automobiles, and a salesperson tells me to bring me my best offer and they will beat it, I immediately tell them that if they want to play games, get a Playstation 2. If they are interested in making a sale, make their best offer.

While I am retired, my time is too valuable to spend trying to beat the price of a $28,000 item down by $50!

International or Diamond International or any of those chains in the Caribbean. you're not going to find a bargain price there, no matter what they tell you

Sure we did. But it was on a Movado watch, not a gemstone.

If you buy from a store on board I think that you have a 2 year buyer remorse and can get your money back. That is what I was told at the shops on Carnival and Princess. They are also independent of the ship lines and I think they go by the name of Starboard, Starlight, or something similar.

I have never had a problem dealing with them so I never tried to force their guarantee, or warrantee.

If you are buying some dare I say without being rude "cheaper" jewelery from an accessories store or similar for a few $ that is one thing.

If you are spending 100s or 1000s of $s then ask your self this. If the sellers were trying to sell you a car instead of some gold or diamonds, would you still participate in a transaction with those sellers? I suspect that most people would say no.

It is a natural reaction to impulse buy. Your eye catches something, you are told it looks good. The ship leaves shortly and you feel pressured that this is the only place on the planet that will give you such a good bargain. Then they offer you a drink, this is not to be polite, it is to keep you in their store. They ask you where you are from and show you items that are rare and not available in your country. Don't be suckered in. Google jewelery sellers sales patter or similar.

Yes, I had a must spend OBC so it cost me practically nothing to buy it.

I won a pair of Amber earrings on the Summit 2 years ago... maybe I should have them appraised.

But seriously, on another note, I had been considering purchasing a new Apple Computer, since mine is about 7 years old and needs major upgrading since Apple's icloud came out. Celebrity has now Apple products for sale on their ships, which sparked my interest to possibly purchase one onboard during my cruise. But after doing some research, I definitely will purchase from my local Apple store, pay full price with my student discount, pay the taxes, even though the ships don't charge tax, all because the ilounges are just resellers and if there is a problem with it, I can't even bring it to an Apple store to replace.

I really don't think you were ripped off, it gets down to what the contract says. We have got lots of stuff on the ship and I really don't they say they will match the lowest appraisal. I was told a few times the cost is about a 10 % savings plus no sales tax. You liked it and got it, it's part of the fun.

I should go back and find some old posts where we tried to warn folks about jewelry shops onboard ships and recommended stores. The onboard shops are simply private companies that rent the space from X (its the same on most cruise lines). They have to pay a hefty percentage to X and must also pay the staff that mans these shops. You can do your own calculation if you are going to get a good deal. As to the so-called "recommended stores" they are simply merchants who are willing to pay a fee to a company (working for the cruise lines) to be called "recommended." Some of these recommended stores are fine, and others are not so fine. But in many cases the best stores are not recommmended because they refuse to pay the bribe (ooops meant promotional fee). One very well known (and highly respected) jewelry company that decided to no longer pay these bribes is H. Stern. Ironically, Stern's is one of the most reputable jewelers in the Carribean (they have a store in St Thomas) and South America. As soon as Sterns stopped paying the big bucks their competitor (Amersterdam Sauer) quickly jumped into the fray.. This stuff is all a big marketing scheme designed to maximize profits for the store, the marketing company, and the cruise line. If you think this is done to give passengers great deals on high quality stuff we have a very large cruise ship we can sell you for 50% off :)

Hank

I should go back and find some old posts where we tried to warn folks about jewelry shops onboard ships and recommended stores. The onboard shops are simply private companies that rent the space from X (its the same on most cruise lines). They have to pay a hefty percentage to X and must also pay the staff that mans these shops. You can do your own calculation if you are going to get a good deal. As to the so-called "recommended stores" they are simply merchants who are willing to pay a fee to a company (working for the cruise lines) to be called "recommended." Some of these recommended stores are fine, and others are not so fine. But in many cases the best stores are not recommmended because they refuse to pay the bribe (ooops meant promotional fee). One very well known (and highly respected) jewelry company that decided to no longer pay these bribes is H. Stern. Ironically, Stern's is one of the most reputable jewelers in the Carribean (they have a store in St Thomas) and South America. As soon as Sterns stopped paying the big bucks their competitor (Amersterdam Sauer) quickly jumped into the fray.. This stuff is all a big marketing scheme designed to maximize profits for the store, the marketing company, and the cruise line. If you think this is done to give passengers great deals on high quality stuff we have a very large cruise ship we can sell you for 50%

There is one merchant that I buy Rolexes from. He doesnt participate in the ship's promotion. I asked him why and he told me because they want too much money for the promotion and passengers will come into his store without it. I have established a relationship with him and always stop in for a visit and maybe another purchase. He knows in advance that I am comming and will reserve a hot seller if I am interested in it. I follow watches and know their selling price and discount policy. Watches all have a certain allowable discount. Advantage of buying on the Islands is the selection. Many shops will sell at the max allowable discount and you avoid sales tax. Some will sweeten the deal by throwing in something else. If they discount more than allowed by the manufacturers they will lose their selling rights. I always declare what I buy becasue I cannot afford to be caught. On a purchase of a Patek the custom agent asked if I put the decimal point in the wrong place. He couldn't believe that a watch cost that much. He even called the other agents over to look at the watch. It was still a bargain even though I paid a healthy duty. Jewelry and gem stones are something that really has no set price. It is buyer beware.

Just do your homework on what you are planning on purchasing. Remember that you are not the first person to show up with wampum to trade with the natives.

I won a pair of Amber earrings on the Summit 2 years ago... maybe I should have them appraised.

But seriously, on another note, I had been considering purchasing a new Apple Computer, since mine is about 7 years old and needs major upgrading since Apple's icloud came out. Celebrity has now Apple products for sale on their ships, which sparked my interest to possibly purchase one onboard during my cruise. But after doing some research, I definitely will purchase from my local Apple store, pay full price with my student discount, pay the taxes, even though the ships don't charge tax, all because the ilounges are just resellers and if there is a problem with it, I can't even bring it to an Apple store to replace.

They only sell basic stuff like ipods and chargers, they don't sell computers. It is not a full apple store, more of a mac book suite where you can use their notebooks at an extortionate rate.

Before you go to the Caribbean, google "reputable jewelers in...(where you are going)".

You will read all the post that the cruise lines don't want you to read because it clearly reveals how they sell, how they get locals to partner them and how to spot a bargain without being conned.

Research, know and understand what you want to buy before you set off and stick to a budged you have in mind.

They only sell basic stuff like ipods and chargers, they don't sell computers. It is not a full apple store, more of a mac book suite where you can use their notebooks at an extortionate rate.

On the Eclipse a few weeks ago, they were offering a little laptop Air. But when I added on the VAT etc. it was the same price in the UK.... and I don't like smuggling stuff!!! Might as well buy it here!!

Archived