Newbie Question - Venice Debark

goodvig

Hi all,

My husband and I are getting ready for our first cruise(s) with Azamara. My B2B cruise ends in Venice and I've never disembarked a ship there, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Does Azamara offer any transportation from the ship to the airport? If so do you simply book this onboard? I checked the shore excursion site and it only lists a tour followed by airport drop off.

2) If I decided to end my trip in style and hire a private water taxi to the airport, does it pick you up at the San Basilio Terminal?

Any other suggestions for a fast and convenient way back to the airport? I never travel light :) so I need a pretty easy way that allows me the least amount of schlepping of my luggage!!! (Since my porter...I mean husband, has to debark in Athens - I won't have his assistance!!)

Thanks for any insight!

Lori

we just left from venice, there is a bus going from piazalle rome going to the airport, which is very close itis about 5 to 7 euro's, a water taxi costs about 100,-- euro's, so you better carry your bagage for some time or take a taxo from the port to piazzale or otherwise take a taxi from there, plenty availble, but first aks for the price

Annlies:confused:

After we (DH and his brother and wife) end the cruise, we will be going from the ship to the Venice train station. I have been to Venice before and found it's sometimes easier to walk somewhere than do the water busses or water taxies. We are also fine with walking and pulling our luggage behind us. However, does anyone know if the ship be docked near the train station?

We just docked in Venice last month, and took the train, BUT didn't go directly to the station from the cruise port (spent several hours in Venice by taking the vaporetto to St Mark's). And we've only been to Marco Polo Airport in our own car.

But here's a suggestion for both Lori and candkd:

Go to the Ports section of cruisecritic. Then click on Europe and finally Italy. In this section use the search function ("Search this Forum" with the drop down triangle). Use search words, such as "Venice cruise port to airport" etc. You will find plenty of information.

For getting directly from the port to the train, try this one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1561021&highlight=venice+port+to+train+station

Good luck,

Bruce

I am looking at a sailing out of Venice too. The question" does Azamara offer transportation from ship to airport ( or vice versa) has not been addressed. Does anyone know if transport is offered by Azamara?

We were on the Pacific Princess. The cruise line did offer a transfer to the airport but my DH wanted to go earlier. We had to get our own bags off and took a taxi at 5 am. Check out website -Venice link. We booked a taxi(van) on line for 48 euros to the airport. The cruise line wanted $49 each for the transfer.

Hi all,

My husband and I are getting ready for our first cruise(s) with Azamara. My B2B cruise ends in Venice and I've never disembarked a ship there, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Does Azamara offer any transportation from the ship to the airport? If so do you simply book this onboard? I checked the shore excursion site and it only lists a tour followed by airport drop off.

Thanks for any insight!

Lori

Lori, last year we finished our Quest cruise in Venice. We used the ship's transfer, and indeed, we did book only while on board. Many people opted for the ship's transfers , as a day or two before our arrival to Venice a local strike of the public transport had been announced. Nobody knew what will work and what won't - so it was much safer to use the private buses that were privided by Azamara.

As it was - the transfers worked beautifully and we even had help from the people Azamara hired in finding out what happens with the different flights (only 30% of them were on time; the rest were either delayed or cancelled !).

By the way.. If you have a late flight home, then the combination of a transfer with an excursion could be a nice way to shorten the waiting time in the airport (the difference in cost between a transfer only and transfer + excursion is usually quite small).

Enjoy your cruise!

Miriam

Lori, last year we finished our Quest cruise in Venice. We used the ship's transfer, and indeed, we did book only while on board. Many people opted for the ship's transfers , as a day or two before our arrival to Venice a local strike of the public transport had been announced. Nobody knew what will work and what won't - so it was much safer to use the private buses that were privided by Azamara.

As it was - the transfers worked beautifully and we even had help from the people Azamara hired in finding out what happens with the different flights (only 30% of them were on time; the rest were either delayed or cancelled !).

By the way.. If you have a late flight home, then the combination of a transfer with an excursion could be a nice way to shorten the waiting time in the airport (the difference in cost between a transfer only and transfer + excursion is usually quite small).

Enjoy your cruise!

Miriam

Thanks so much for answering my question about Azamara transportation...I had a feeling they would offer some sort of service but didn't find it anywhere on their website...I think I will wait until I get onboard before making any final decisions about what "mode" to use.

Unfortunately I have a 12:30pm flight out of Venice so no "tour" for me!! Now I'm a bit worried about my connection in London since you mentioned the flight delays...oh well, nothing I can do about it so why waste the energy!!

Thanks again!

Lori

Archived